Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Foreclosure Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for New York on
Q: i need help filing default or summary judgement regarding my quiet title complaint- dutchess supreme index 2020-829
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel answered on Sep 3, 2020

There is a big difference between the two. No lawyer is going to give you a tutorial. If you do not know what to do, hire a lawyer.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Divorce and Foreclosure for Ohio on
Q: How can I find out what my husband has done with his early withdrawn 401k funds


Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Sep 2, 2020

Take his deposition.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure, Personal Injury and Real Estate Law for North Dakota on
Q: My home in Philadelphia was foreclosed on in 2010. I was employed with the Prisons then. I suffered a heart attack

I went to numerous court hearings and never got a result. I am a combat Veteran of Desert Storm. My wife and I would like some answers

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 1, 2020

This could be something that a Pennsylvania attorney and/or North Dakota attorney should advise on, but you await a response for two weeks. If there was an attorney representing you in the earlier hearings, contacting them and asking about the status of the file could be a starting point. If you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure for Florida on
Q: I have no mortgage on my condo. I owe my HOA 10,000. Notice of sale issued. Will I lose my condo?
Sherri B. Simpson
Sherri B. Simpson answered on Aug 26, 2020

You will if it goes to foreclosure sale. If you can pay off over 5 years you can file a chapter 13 bankruptcy. You really need to speak to an attorney asap.

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure for Florida on
Q: Florida-Does foreclosure moratorium allow lender to sell the property and the new owners can file "unlawful detainer"

Certificate of title was (not served but) issued 3/2020, Bank did not do writ of possession and listed house for auction 4/15 (after moratorium executive order). We were never notified until receipt of unlawful detainer 8/19 that the house belongs to new owners. New owner is seeking possession and... Read more »

Barbara Billiot Stage
Barbara Billiot Stage answered on Aug 25, 2020

If the property was auctioned before the executive order was issued in March, there would have been a certificate of sale issued giving you ten (10) days to redeem the property. If you do not redeem the property by paying the judgment, then a certificate of title is issued. The timing of these... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Florida on
Q: i was served by broward county a Summons/Residential summary procedure pursuant to Florida statute 51.011 for eviction


Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman answered on Aug 24, 2020

You do what the summons tells you to do. You answer the allegations of the complaint. Applying for assistance doesnt automatically stop the eviction process.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Estate Planning, Foreclosure and Tax Law for Arkansas on
Q: My father recently passed unexpectedly. How do i find locate his debt/investments?
Rose Blondin Shea
Rose Blondin Shea answered on Aug 24, 2020

I would keep an eye on any mail that comes in his name. Most likely they will mail him something at some point at which time you can contact them. Also look for any estate plans that he has in his home perhaps in a safe or filing cabinet. If he has an estate plan you can also try to contact the... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Foreclosure for Pennsylvania on
Q: Can a bank put your dads house after he dies in son's name with out telling them the kids did not open up a estate

They put the house in kids name in 2017 the kids did not know it till they got foreclose notices also bank told 1 of the kids the bought if for a dollar however the kids never gave any money 4 house

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Aug 20, 2020

More information is needed, however, the answer is very likely, no.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and Collections for Tennessee on
Q: Which path would be better ?

I have a Judgement, just placed a lein on the debtors property. I have a copy of the warranty deed signed over to only the debtor in December of last year. Also I have the TN realestate assessment data with value and descriptions of buildings on that property.

Would it be better to Ask for... Read more »

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Aug 18, 2020

You can request the Clerk issue the Levy, but it will probably cost some money. Your Lien is good 10 years from judgment date, unless extended. The Judgment (certified copy) should be filed in Register's Office where the property lies, so it will then be a Judgment Lien. The Debtor may... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Foreclosure, Banking and Mergers & Acquisitions for South Carolina on
Q: What does GMAC, WVMF Funding, or RECAP have to do with this case?

Does it have something to do with the mortgage crash in 2008 through 2010?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 14, 2020

A South Carolina attorney could best advise, but your post remains open for five weeks. It's possible something inadvertently got left off in uploading your post - a case is not mentioned. Not every question is picked up, but you could try reposting, including the name of the case. Good luck... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for South Carolina on
Q: What is the general procedure for submitting claims for excess/surplus plus funds,overages etc.. in S.Carolina..

Can I do an assignment or Power of Attorney and file for the excess funds w/out an Attonery?..

Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton answered on Aug 12, 2020

If you are the person entitled to the surplus funds you must contact the Court or have an attorney do so on your behalf. A person that has your power of attorney is not going to be able to do this on your behalf.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Foreclosure and Probate for Tennessee on
Q: Family member passed away with written Will left house with mortgage to my mother

The problem I’m facing the house became delinquent I had the money to make the payment but the bank would not accept the payment saying they have to have paperwork saying that I am the executor of the Estate i’m worried that I can’t get this taken care of in a timely manner before my house... Read more »

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Aug 11, 2020

Your facts do not make sense. But if you started a Probate, which may have not been necessary, then you should be getting your Letters Testamentary from Probate Court. Call the Court today. This will be your authority to act on behalf of the Estate. Insurance and Taxes have to be paid also.

2 Answers | Asked in Foreclosure for Ohio on
Q: We had a foreclosure 12 years ago the mortgage company went out of business so foreclosure never finished.

Now there is a tax lien. From 2010&2012. Can I sue the county to make them do a tax sale?

Taylor P Waters
Taylor P Waters answered on Aug 10, 2020

To understand correctly, you want to ask the county to sue to foreclose on your property due to the tax lien?

I would call a foreclosure or tax attorney to take a look at your situation.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning and Foreclosure for Florida on
Q: In understand she has that right I’m trying to do is find out how can contest the will once she dies

To know what she had done I need to know what’s in it is probate court the right court to contest the will to force it to the court to force the executive to file the will with the probate court . I would appreciate not so nasty of a answer

Seril L Grossfeld
Seril L Grossfeld answered on Aug 3, 2020

Wills do not get filed in Florida until the person passes away. This is why what the will says today is not relevant since it can be changed at any time prior to the person passing away. Once a person dies and their will is deposited with the clerk it is public record and you can get a copy from... Read more »

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Maryland on
Q: Is it legal in MD to acquire a property via "subject to" instead of assuming a mortgage?

The owner would still have the mortgage in their name, but title would transfer to me and I would continue paying the original mortgage.

Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg answered on Jul 31, 2020

There is just about a certainty that the seller’s mortgage note and deed of trust contain a due on sale clause. The seller would be creating a fraud on the bank... But, no worries. I doubt your deed would be accepted for filing, and, if it was, the lender would simply foreclose wiping you out.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure for California on
Q: the property has not been sold as of yet due to covid -19. However I have been told by a property rental agent that

it will be sold possibility within the next month or two. My question is, should I pay until it forecloses or give my notice to move.

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Jul 16, 2020

If you are not comfortable with the situation, give notice, and move. 30 days is pretty standard. Tell LL to take last month out of the security deposit. Ask for a Pre-move out inspection by LL to go over what repairs he believes are needed. BTW- you are absolutely entitled to have the LL give... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure for California on
Q: the landlord has not made payments for 8 months, so the house is in pre foreclosure status. The property was due to be

sold on 6/18/20. I the renter is still paying rent. Do I have to continue to pay rent?

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Jul 16, 2020

Under normal circumstances your payment of rent is not dependent on the Owner paying the mortgage, which is unfortunate because if the LL does not pay the mtg. the house is foreclosed and you are evicted by the bank. I have never heard of a bank letting a renter stay and pay the rent to the bank,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure for New York on
Q: The government mortgage guarantor sold our home to a bank through a referee's deed. Is it a legal sale?

The mortgage guarantor sold our home through foreclosure sale to a 3rd party servicer through a referee's deed. There was no note attached to the mortgage. The servicer has no standing or interest in our home. The trust associated with the house is closed.

Jonathan David Warner
Jonathan David Warner answered on Jul 16, 2020

You haven't provided enough information for anyone to provide an answer.

With this said, New York is a judicial foreclosure state, which means that a foreclosure cannot happen without a Court Order. The process tends to take quite a long time, so it's extraordinarily doubtful that...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Foreclosure for Maryland on
Q: I want to try to keep my house from foreclosure, I am coming out of a Chapter 7 bankruptcy case in August 3.

What can I do to keep the house? Do you think the mortgage company will work with me & my wife to help us stay in the house?

Diana Valle
Diana Valle answered on Jul 15, 2020

You should be able to keep the home with certain conditions if you file a chapter 13. I suggest you speak with a bankruptcy attorney to properly advise you in your unique situation.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Foreclosure for New York on
Q: The government mortgage guarantor sold our home to a bank through a referee's deed. Is it a legal sale?

There is no note for my home. This is New York and the note was electronically recorded by MERS. We were not notified of the sale.

Derek John Soltis
Derek John Soltis answered on Jul 15, 2020

There appears to a lot going on. Send your case to a lawyer to get a free consult about what is happening.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.