Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Foreclosure Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for South Carolina on
Q: My parents' passed, their house was in foreclosure, house went to me, now I am listed on foreclosure as owner.

My parents died intestate with their home in foreclosure status. I have been told I am not responsible for the loan itself, however, I was served with an Owner for Joiner as Defendant because I am listed on the deed. When I went to inquire about purchasing my home, this came back against me. Is... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jun 30, 2020

You are not legally responsible for the debt. However, if you wish to inherit or retain the property, you will have to pay off that debt.

3 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Foreclosure for Missouri on
Q: I'm a buyer and the seller filed for chapter 7. We were to close, now pending court decision. What are my options?

I am a buyer, went into contract with seller. We were to close but seller's went to court for bankruptcy. Is there anything I can do? What are some options that I can guarantee buying the home?

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jun 30, 2020

You need to hire an attorney to represent you in the bankruptcy case. You can probably still buy the property from the trustee, but the trustee is who you have to deal with from this point forward.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure for Massachusetts on
Q: Hello! My parents had a reverse mortgage and I'm told an heir can buy the house. Can I negotiate the price?

can I negotiate a price due to the shape it is in? It needs a lot of work. I had it appraised, but it's still too much. Also, who holds the deed to the house. The heirs or the bank. I have seen enter into a deed instead of foreclosure, but I want to buy the house. Any help would be great.... Read more »

Kimberly Winslow
Kimberly Winslow answered on Jun 24, 2020

Typically in a reverse mortgage scenario, the borrower does not Deed the property to the bank. It remains in their name. Deeds are public record, and quickly accessible online. Click on your county and search with name or address.

In most cases, when...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure for Maryland on
Q: Can they auction off your home without sending out a letter or any type of notification
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Jun 24, 2020

No. The statutory and procedural rules all require notice. Your Due Process rights under the federal and state constitutions also require notice and an opportunity to be heard before adverse action is taken against you or your property taken away.

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure for Maryland on
Q: Should a home owner get a letter stating when and where they are going to auction your home before they can
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Jun 22, 2020

Yes. If you are on the title, you are entitled to notice of all proceedings.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Illinois on
Q: Do I have a claim to a joint interest in the home that my father and I share?

In 2013, my mother passed away leaving me as the sole heir to her estate in her will. My father has encountered mortgage trouble, and I have occupied the home alone for one year now. The current mortgage was taken out in 2005 in both of their names, and statements come addressed to her estate.... Read more »

Robert Shipley
Robert Shipley answered on Jun 11, 2020

Based upon your question, although your mother left you her entire estate, it does not appear that estate included an interest in the home. From your description your father is in sole title to the home and therefore the sole owner. If there are issues regarding the mortgage, those must be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Florida on
Q: My glass top on stove cracked. Apt complex refuses to fix. Can I refuse rent? Can they evict in Florida now?

I don't have money to fix myself.

The stove won't work at all .

I need to cook for my kids.

I don't see in lease were im liable for this.

If I refuse rent can they evict me now?

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 4, 2020

Probably not now--but they might when the Covid-19 virus lets up. Contact a lawyer who handles landlord & tenant cases and take them a copy of your lease.

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for New York on
Q: What type of attorney specializes/handles mortgage loan modification fraud?

Homeowner lost her job and couldnt pay mortgage for a few months. A servicer suggested that a mortgage modification is available if payments are made. The homeowner made the payments to the servicer, but the modification never occurred and now is at risk for foreclosure.

Derek John Soltis
Derek John Soltis answered on May 27, 2020

Have you appealed the decision? When did you apply? What is your current interest rate?

There are a lot of factors that go into a loan modification. Just because you didn't qualify 6 months ago, doesn't mean you won't qualify now.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure for Florida on
Q: Why did my mortgage company request an order to release original documents after doing a loan modification?

is this something I should be worried about or is this standard procedure

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on May 25, 2020

If a foreclosure is called off for some reason, and it appears that such is the case with you, the mortgagee (the mortgage company) rightfully wants to have possession of the original mortgage and note. It will need them if your modified mortgage goes into default and must be foreclosed again. So... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: Does a land patent trump a mortgage holder's position? The patent is several years (12) older than the title conflict.

The land patent was obtained at the same time period as I revested title, "citizen" for "sovereign" when I discovered The United States of America became The United States of America INC. in 1878. DC became an entity and was used as collateral to UNK as collateral for money... Read more »

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on May 13, 2020

Assuming the land patent is in your chain of title, If you granted the land as security for the mortgage, then no the mortgage is superior to your personal claim of title as a citizen, etc. If there are two chains of title, then the one with an earlier Warranty Deed is probably superior due to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure for Oklahoma on
Q: I owe 1500.00 on my mortgage and the bank has it as write off can they still for close on my house
Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad answered on May 12, 2020

Written off does not mean "not owed". The closing company will likely contact the mortgage company and withhold the sums owed from disbursements.

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure for Pennsylvania on
Q: General timeline estimate for settling a foreclosure in court? How many months?

I'm wanting to fight a foreclosure and pay off the mortgage but, without all the added fees because, I feel the bank has grossly mishandled the entire process. It seems to have started when the original lending bank merged into it's parent bank and returned payments that had been made.... Read more »

Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall answered on May 8, 2020

As you correctly surmise, things are all out of whack with the court system due to the pandemic and resultant shutdowns. You're going to need to contact the Court of Common Pleas for the county in which your foreclosure case is pending. In Pennsylvania at present, each county is largely... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Foreclosure for New Jersey on
Q: I own a home and I'm on the title but my partner holds the mortgage. I give him a check every month for half.

The memo states for mortgage with (bank name and address of property). He was cashing the checks and never paid the mortgage unbeknownst to me. I am now in forclosure. Can I sue for fraud?

H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq. answered on May 1, 2020

Yes you can try to sue him for fraud, however you posted this question under criminal law and it may be a civil case not a criminal case, but more information would be needed to be known to determine this. Hire a good lawyer to determine your best options.

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and Public Benefits for Texas on
Q: How do I get percentage commission without getting a realtor for the sale of a friend's home that I sold .

I did a friend a favor and I got a buyer for her home on a mortgage short sale.

Mortgage company guidelines state she needs a realtor to sell her home.

I am not a realtor or licensed .

Yet how do I go about it to get that 6% commission from mortgage company?

What... Read more »

Gregory Byrnes
Gregory Byrnes answered on Apr 29, 2020

I don't practice Texas law, however, you probably can't get a commission legally because you need to be licensed either as a real estate agent or broker. You could look into whether it is permissible to receive a finders fee in Texas:

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for New Jersey on
Q: Good evening I trust you and your's are all well please advise to where I can Foreclosure Case Law for Oral Arguments

Im looking for Specific information on Chase Bank & Select Portfolio Servicers that pertains to Wrongful Foreclosure Practices

Derek John Soltis
Derek John Soltis answered on Apr 27, 2020

If you are in GA, you need to talk to a GA attorney about current case law. Most info you find online is out of date and not current case law.

If you think you can win without an attorney, you sound like someone that thinks they can perform their own appendectomy without a doctor....
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure and Agricultural Law for North Carolina on
Q: For Closure?

There is a house in North Carolina, the homeowners have not paid all of their taxes for the past 3 years. The neighbors told me the house was in foreclosure but the courthouse did not have it registered. I have wanted this house for awhile I see a lot of potential in it. Any help? Can I buy it?... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Apr 26, 2020

It would be difficult for an attorney here to answer your questions based on this limited information. If you contacted a real estate attorney in North Carolina, they might be able to assess the situation in detail and advise in a meaningful manner.

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law and Foreclosure for Georgia on
Q: I posted bond for some one, can I get that back?

How a would go about getting my bond money back?

Lance Mixon
Lance Mixon answered on Apr 25, 2020

Multiple issues control this. First, is the case over yet. If so, then yes.

In still pending, on misdemeanor cases, after 12 months, you can ask the court to release you as surety.

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure for Florida on
Q: I am a pro se litigant filing foreclosure. How and where in the forms I file can I request a fast track foreclosure?

I also want to request a minimum creditors bid, where would it be appropriate to ask for this? I am filing a summons, complaint, lis pendens, and standing order. Thanks for your help!!

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Apr 18, 2020

If you think you want to do this yourself, be aware that foreclosure is complicated; and since prevailing party attorney fees are normally awarded, it would be best to at least search for an attorney to do it for you. If you insist on doing it yourself, I suggest that you look at other foreclosure... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure for New Jersey on
Q: Can my daughter buy my foreclosed home in New Jersey that now is bank owned
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer answered on Apr 18, 2020

The property will be sold at sheriff sale, when it is scheduled for sale. There is no way of knowing who will be able to purchase the property, but what you also need to know is that you really need to file a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy to eliminate this debt and others. Right now with state of the art... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Ohio on
Q: im looking for a lawyer who has experience in working in the mortgage overage arena. can someone assist me.
Troy J Doucet Esq.
Troy J Doucet Esq. answered on Apr 17, 2020

Please contact Doucet Gerling at (614) 221-9800.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.