Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
New York Civil Rights Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for New York on
Q: Can i sue if for excessive force if i get an acd or do i need a straight dismissal

I went to pick up an order of protection that was on me the sheriff told me i had to fo to a beooklyn precint and handed me the oop i then told him i spoke with an officer the day of the occurrence he slammed his handcuffs on me causing me to bleed i told him he hurt me and he squeezed harder on... Read more »

Jonathan R. Ratchik
Jonathan R. Ratchik
answered on Nov 8, 2021

You can sue the police officer for excessive force regardless of whether the criminal complaint against you is dismissed or adjourned in contemplation of dismissal. One has nothing to do with the other. Here's an article I found online which you might find useful.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for New York on
Q: How to look up Equitable Estoppel Employment Cases that was successful in relation to plaintiff mental illness

Statue of limitations ran out but knew evidence has surface and plaintiffs want to file action against former employer, to reopen retirement pension fund

V. Jonas Urba
V. Jonas Urba
answered on Oct 17, 2021

A retirement pension fund issue appears to fall under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, also known as "ERISA". Some of us have successfully fought on behalf of employees facing reduced severance pay. Employers sometimes allege breaks in continuous services by employees.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for New York on
Q: What can I do if my neighbor keeps threatening us by killing or shooting us? He harasses us all the time.

We've owned our property for 37 years and he wants us to leave so he can put an Airbnb on our property. Someone needs to help us.

Kimberly A. Van Wormer
Kimberly A. Van Wormer
answered on Oct 4, 2021

You can call the police and make a complaint.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for New York on
Q: My boss hasn’t enforced a provision regarding promotions in over 25 years. They now r. It hurts women. Discrimination?

My school district hasn’t enforced a provision on teacher advancement in terms of salary in over 25 years. A new HR director is making it a point to enforce it, and is denying salary differentials for teachers who have more than a Masters degree coming in. Furthermore HR has decided teachers... Read more »

Derek John Soltis
Derek John Soltis
answered on Sep 27, 2021

You should talk with an employment lawyer. It sounds like discrimination to me. If the only people it has been enforced on are two black woman that is insane.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Civil Rights and Landlord - Tenant for New York on
Q: I live in auburn New York I had a flood in my apt it was sewage do I have a case

I was out of my apt last year for 3 in a half months for this they told us it was fixed and I lost a lot of furniture and clothes I would like them replaced and 2 plus 4 says they are not replacing anything

Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay
answered on Sep 3, 2021

Ideally a tenant should maintain renter's insurance to cover damages to his or her personal belongings. In the event a tenant a tenant does not have insurance coverage to cover his or her losses, a landlord may be responsible if the flooding can be proven to be due to the landlord's negligence.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Health Care Law and Landlord - Tenant for New York on
Q: I have postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome which limits my mobility. I contacted my APT which denied a request.

When contacting the APT they claimed that I would have to get a handicap pass and then use those spots which I told them that I did not need a spot within 200ft and just need it in the front lot compared to the back lot which is much further

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Aug 27, 2021

This is something that only the experienced landlord-tenant attorneys here are qualified to advise on. But your post remains open for three weeks, and you have a medical condition that is creating a hardship for you. You could reach out to the landlord-tenant attorneys here (using the Find-a-Lawyer... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Government Contracts for New York on
Q: Workers compensation.

How do I take my workers compensation case to the Supreme Court? Workers compensation denied my financial benefit because I was force to quit my job due to my injury at work. I got ran over by a garbage truck while working and I had no support in the city I was living in so I had no choice but to... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Aug 20, 2021

This sounds like a very thick and complex file, and one that could involve multiple attorneys - workers' comp, disability, and depending on the role of the truck, possibly third-party action(s). Based on the serious injuries you describe in terms of five screws, you may want to discuss this in... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law, Employment Law, Civil Rights and Employment Discrimination for New York on
Q: My job asked me to share my college transcripts & diplomas to submit to U.S. immigration to help a new hire get a visa.

I work in NYC, at will, salaried. My employer requested that I share my diploma and transcripts so that they can share them with immigration officials to help a new hire get a work visa. My employer did not indicate that the request was optional. Can they legally request that? Can they share my... Read more »

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
answered on Jul 26, 2021

The USCIS has gotten extremely obnoxious to employers for H1-b visa applications. The unrighteous restrictions placed upon lawful non-immigrant/immigrant employment visa applicants smothers the U.S. economy due to bigotry and ignorance. They used to allow 200,000 H1b visas in the 1990s, but it... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Civil Rights for New York on
Q: How do I file should I file

I used the tea tree one since it came out. I used to get red patchy areas on my head even sores so I used nioxin and it got a little better but too expensive to I went back to it and all of a sudden my hair was coming out in clumps mind you I believe the first time I saw a dermatologist I believe... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jul 12, 2021

I'm sorry for your ordeal. You could reach out to law firms that handle cases involving injury from dangerous products. You could look under firms that handle product liability and injury cases. Most firms that handle such cases offer free initial consults. See the tab above (Find-a-Lawyer),... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Civil Rights for New York on
Q: I've heard it suggested to quote this law when a business forces mask wearing against my will. Does this apply?

Section 18 code 241

Also stated it's against Nuremberg trials that concluded a medical procedure can not be forced upon me.

Jonathan David Warner
Jonathan David Warner
answered on May 31, 2021

Umm... No. With all due respect, you'll just sound like a crazy person if you cite to a quotation from the Nuremberg Trials in response to being asked to wear a mask (presumably, for the purpose of preventing the proliferation of COVID-19). Private businesses can operate however they'd... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for New York on
Q: How do I petition the court in NYC for a typo error correction on a judgement order?
David Ivan Bliven
David Ivan Bliven
answered on May 13, 2021

If it's in a divorce case, then you'd file an order to show cause for an amended judgment. You'd need to submit an affirmation/affidavit stating the reason for the correction. Schedule a consult with a NYC Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Civil Rights for New York on
Q: my car is registered to my ex boyfriend is there any possible way I can get it back?

he's threatening to take it from me but I bought it

Carmen M. Rodriguez
Carmen M. Rodriguez
answered on May 12, 2021

I am sorry you are going through this.

Here are a few thoughts, and it is not intended to be an exhaustive list of considerations:

Do you have any receipts or proof of payment(s)?

Are you still paying for the car?

Why did you register it in his name?

Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights and Health Care Law for New York on
Q: Looking for help

I have been bedridden with chronic illness for 6 years. I am required to lie down all day and am unable to get up to use the restroom. I rely on my parents for all my daily requirements. Symptoms of mine include extremely severe noise and light sensitivity which require me to wear earplugs and an... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Apr 11, 2021

I'm sorry for your difficult situation. One option might be to reach out to a health care attorney to explore whether you could be eligible for assisted-living, based on medical condition, age, financial qualification, and whether it would be covered by insurance. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights and Legal Malpractice for New York on
Q: Is it illegal for my grandma to keep my mom away from me wen I did not do nuffin I have no stay away no nuffin

Yes my grandma is 83 years I’m 28 my mom is 57

Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
answered on Apr 5, 2021

Since you are over the age of 21 you can see your mom unless there is some sort of court order that prohibits that.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for New York on
Q: My husband was arrested and is now at Rikers Island In New York State. He was never read his Miranda Rights.

What steps can be taken and what motions can be filed to help him?

Peter Wade Kolp
Peter Wade Kolp
answered on Mar 29, 2021

If that is the case, and it can be proven or argued , it would go to surpressing any statements (keeping those statements out of evidence and not used against him) he made and be argued in legal docs called motions.

Depending on the case, one can still be convicted without their own...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Landlord - Tenant and Military Law for New York on
Q: How can I get this issue resolved and keep the apartment ?

My friends mother passed away he spoke about keeping the apartment but nothing was finalized since he had to go to the army. Building knew we were moving in and always greeted us even came to fix things in the apartment but no one told us that we couldn’t be here. Today my boyfriend goes to... Read more »

Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko PRO label
answered on Mar 10, 2021

It sounds like this may be an inheritance issue. It depends on what the will says. The fact that you are living there will not be relevant if he does not own the apartment. He may be able to assume payments if the will provides for that.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for New York on
Q: Can you get evicted if you weren't given an eviction notice

The legal aid lawyer knows my landlord and is siding with them is that illegal

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jan 4, 2021

This is something that a landlord-tenant attorney should advise on, but your post remains open for almost a week. You could try reposting in the Landlord-Tenant section. Not every post is picked up; if you still don't get a reply, you could reach out to L-T attorneys - ones you find... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Employment Discrimination and Gov & Administrative Law for New York on
Q: Maximum lawyer fees for federal (government agency) discrimination ( title V) cases?

Is there a maximum amount or percentage a lawyer can charge for title V cases against a government agency settled at the EEOC level? I was told by a friend who practices family law out of State that the fees they can charge are capped similar to what disability lawyers can charge. Another piece of... Read more »

V. Jonas Urba
V. Jonas Urba
answered on Dec 16, 2020

Apparently, you may be situated in a state outside of New York. I limit my active practice to New York State. Each state enacts laws regarding ethical behavior and conduct of lawyers. Many adopt the model rules but there are exceptions.

In New York State lawyers fees are determined by the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for New York on
Q: Can I carry a Stinger Tactical whip (or a whip of any kind) in New York State for self defense?

I have no criminal record, and I am a staff sergeant in the Air Force with a CCW permit from Minot, North Dakota. When I go home on military leave, I live near Buffalo NY.

Peter Wade Kolp
Peter Wade Kolp
answered on Nov 29, 2020

I dont see any explicit ban on stinger whips. Nor do i see a license permit to carry one. You may want to consult an attorney before carrying. But keep in mind a bat, certain kitchen knives or an ax may not be illegal but if used illegally... also does the opposite end the stinger have an electric... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, DUI / DWI, Traffic Tickets and Civil Rights for New York on
Q: I was stopped walking in June 30th 2017 ask to blow 0.00 at 2:30 am because the cop profiled me

My refusal warnings were read to me at 628am where I allegedly refused urine 4 hours after first test legal aid is telling me I don’t have a case call me please

Peter Wade Kolp
Peter Wade Kolp
answered on Oct 29, 2020

If you were walking and were asked to blow for being intoxicated its different than driving.

Suspended License: Refusing a breathalyzer or chemical test in New York State can result in a 1-year license suspension. ... Civil Fine: Drivers face a fine of $500 for refusing to take a...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.