Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Rhode Island Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Rhode Island on
Q: how many notice of increase can you receive? I received on dated August 30 2022 for one amount!

Received another one dated September 28th 2022 for another amount

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Immigration Law for Rhode Island on
Q: At what age do children have the right to not live with their parents, if another family member is willing to take them?

Can a mother, who is not a U.S. citizen, be legally prevented from moving her children, who are U.S. citizens, to Mexico against the wishes of the children? The children are 13 and 16 years old.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Rhode Island on
Q: Do Live-In Sober House Managers make a Salary in RI?

I was a live-in sober house manager in RI for about 9 months, and did not get compensated aside from the free room. Am I entitled to some money?

Rhiannon Herbert
Rhiannon Herbert
answered on Sep 20, 2022

You should contact a Rhode Island employment attorney to discuss your situation, as this situation will be highly dependent on the specific facts of your situation. While housing can be provided as part of an employee's compensation, there are special rules that must be met in order for an... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Communications Law, Education Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Rhode Island on
Q: Is my school allowed to view my personal computer's screen without me knowing?

My school uses a Chrome-Extension called GoGuardian which they use to monitor a school computers screen and browsing data. However after logging into my school account on my personal device, I realized GoGuardian was connected and may be monitoring my screen. After looking it up I found out that if... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Uncategorized for Rhode Island on
Q: What are my rights as a person who rents a storage unit where everything got destroyed by mice?

Providence unit, indoor, supposedly temperature controlled (but wasnt), a middle unit. And was told that there should be no pests or issues with our stuff because of these reasons. Went to clean it out today and mice or rats ate through EVERYTHING I own. It's all trash now.

0 Answers | Asked in Business Law for Rhode Island on
Q: Can I take a piece of equipment that I paid more than half for, after I quit

It's a deli slicer. It was a little more than $1700. The company paid 800 I paid the rest. I was never reimbursed. I have the receipt and the check from the company for 800. Can I legally take it with me until fully reimbursed?

0 Answers | Asked in Public Benefits for Rhode Island on
Q: RI TDI. I exhausted my benefits during my benefit year. I'm still disabled recovering from surgery. Can I reapply?

I used the full amount of my maximum benefits for my benefit year before the end of the benefit year. Now that that benefit year is over I reapplied but am being denied benefits because I'm still disabled for the same reason (surgery) even though I was originally told to reapply if I was... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Rhode Island on
Q: Hello, Can a parent have unsupervised visits if there is an active felony child neglect/abuse case against them?

Hello, My childs mother has been charged with 3 counts of felony child neglect and abuse. However, the court has awarded her unsupervised visits, despite me being in fear of my childs safety. What are my child's rights? Why is he being forced to be with his abuser in an unsupervised setting?

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
answered on Sep 1, 2022

Something seems amiss here. Did you bring all of this to your attorney's attention and/or file the appropriate motions to ensure the child is protected? From the way you present these facts, it would be likely that the state would be involved also through DCYF. Bring your concern's to... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Rhode Island on
Q: I have a fta out of Massachusetts also I have an active warrant can I be arrested when I get an ncic check done I have a

Really good job offer and it’s required and I’m scared to get fingerprinted

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for Rhode Island on
Q: Ppl say that “coupons never expire in RI.” What is the law regarding coupon expiration in Rhode Island?

Various people in RI have held the claim that any coupon issued in Rhode Island is indefinitely valid (even if the coupon is printed with an expiration date). Meaning that once a coupon is issued (via promotional material etc) it can always be used as long as that business is still running or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Rhode Island on
Q: I was told by my ex-wifes lawyer that it is mandatory to do a QDDRO split of my personal 401k. I agreed to this in the

pre-divorce documents when wife and I decided about cars, kids, assets, etc. Neither she nor I personally put a cent of our own money into that acct. It was funded by the company I worked for and they contributed a little each year. My question I legally obligated by RI law to execute... Read more »

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
answered on Aug 23, 2022

Although opposing counsel may appear to be giving you legal advice, it is not a good idea to take advice on legal matters from your adversary. Your own independent counsel will cost you some money, but in the long run it may be well worth it. Rhode Island general law’s specify an equitable... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Rhode Island on
Q: If my father's house was quit claimed to my brother in 2019 and my dad passed in 2022, does the house go through probate

My brother has lived there most of his life, but never took over any financial or other responsibility for the house while my father was alive

Andrew Bilodeau
Andrew Bilodeau
answered on Aug 17, 2022

If your father conveyed his entire interest in his house to your brother then the house would not be part of the probate estate because the house was not owned by your father at the time of his death.

2 Answers | Asked in Land Use & Zoning for Rhode Island on
Q: I own 2 lots in Narragansett RI. There is a paper road between the two properties. Does the town own the paper road.

The paper road is woods and swamp, not even a path or dirt road exists. It probably could not be made into a road because of water table. It was platted over 70 years ago. Does the town own the land or just hold a ROW for the property? The other roads in the neighborhood are paved and maintained... Read more »

Albin Moser
Albin Moser
answered on Sep 3, 2022

A paper road remains the town's property even if the town does nothing with it. The town does not have to build a road on it in order to keep it as a paper road. The town retains the option to build a road on the area of the paper road at any time in the future.

As for whether or not...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Rhode Island on
Q: I was arrested for taking my wife's phone when she threatened to call the police. They asked me in my home if I took her

Phone and I said yes. They put me in handcuffs and took me to the station without ever reading me my rights. Is my statement I made in my house admissible in court?

Thomas Briody
Thomas Briody
answered on Jul 24, 2022

The answer is most like yes, your statement is admissible. The police will argue that you were not in custody at the time you made the statement. Miranda warnings (rights, as you call them) are only required to be administered when you are not free to leave and the police question you. You need... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Rhode Island on
Q: I have a no contact order against me by my wife. If I change my FB profile picture to us and two kids is it a violation?
Thomas Briody
Thomas Briody
answered on Jul 23, 2022

This is a very bad idea. It will be interpreted as an attempt to connect with her, in violation of the order. Maybe you could argue that is not your intent, but I highly doubt that a judge will believe you. Don’t do it.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Rhode Island on
Q: If I where to get a legal separation, does that absolve one from the cc debt of the other? Or is that a divorce thing?
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
answered on Jul 12, 2022

Division of assets, debts, and allocation of marital property are addressed in either a Bed and Board Divorce(Separation) or a "full" Divorce. Meet with your qualified local practitioner to review your options in confidence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.