Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Iowa Personal Injury Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for Iowa on
Q: Someone forged my signature to my car and stole it what can I do

They allowed him to keep my car even though he could destroy it sell it and left myself and my 4 children carless I found my car my self a month later took it back two weeks later he pulled a gun on my children and I and trapped us at a gas station tormenting us nothing was done I was allowed to... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Small Claims, Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for Iowa on
Q: What legal action can I take to remedy this?

My apartment has caught on fire 4xs in the past 6mths due to faulty electrical no dryer exhaust vent hole. They left a giant hole from the fire damage on several occasions for weeks with exposed electrical in my unit when I have small children here more than once, never reimbursed me for any of the... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Personal Injury and Sexual Harassment for Iowa on
Q: Adultery in the state of Iowa

What recourse does a husband have in Iowa if his wife is openly committing adultery and refuses to stop?? The only respite she is offering is a divorce for which the husband has to pay along with losing half of the assets. She is openly mocking him by saying that in Iowa, he is screwed by the... Read more »

Austin J Luse
Austin J Luse answered on Oct 11, 2021

Iowa is a "no-fault" state, meaning that adultery, etc., cannot be used against an opposing party in divorce proceedings. Additionally, Iowa is a "marital property" state, meaning that any assets, aside from specific exemptions (including inheritances kept in separate accounts),... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Small Claims for Iowa on
Q: Can my dads friend come after me for $1100 to fix his truck after accident with a mini bike without an insurance claim?

I was in an accident where I lost control of my friends minibike and hit his dads, friends truck. I suffered a broken wrist due to it and two days after the incident, the guys wife reached out saying the estimated cost to fix the truck was $1100 and that I would rightfully have to pay it because... Read more »

Tim Bottaro
Tim Bottaro answered on Oct 6, 2021

If they turned the claim into their insurance company and it was paid, the insurance company would have a right to go after you for reimbursement.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Appeals / Appellate Law, Car Accidents and Legal Malpractice for Iowa on
Q: Definition of/penalties for lawyer perjury when sworn in as a witness in IA.
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 9, 2021

An Iowa attorney could answer best, but your question remains open for two weeks. If this involves motor vehicle accident litigation, your selection of categories makes sense. However, this could also be something that an attorney who deals with criminal law/professional conduct matters could have... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Iowa on
Q: If someone says they want to see you hang your self is that illegal
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 3, 2021

Generally no--it's more like a curse "I wish you to get Covid"

In some circumstances it could be actionable but that would take money because no lawyer would take the case. Spend the money on getting counseling on any fallout, and how to avoid or deal with creeps like the person who said that.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Iowa on
Q: I fell down on someone's property and was wondering if I could take them to court

The sidewalk leading to the apartment building was raised up and my toe caught it. I busted my mouth open, broke my finger that I now have had surgery and pins put In, I can't work and I can't afford the medical bills

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 17, 2021

I'm sorry about your fall and the resulting injuries. An Iowa attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. It's possible you have a case, but it could depend on the circumstances of the fall. You describe a raised sidewalk, and if that amounts to a serious enough... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for Iowa on
Q: How much should i expect forge a settlement? Someone cut Me off and ended up running my arm over. Had to have em surgery
Erik Luthens
Erik Luthens answered on Jul 6, 2020

A reasonable settlement value depends on many factors including, but not limited to liability; the amount of your medical expense (past and future); the amount of your loss of earnings (past), the amount of your loss of earning capacity (future). This is not a do-it-yourself project; I suggest... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Iowa on
Q: On May 25, 2018 someone opened a car door into my daughter's lane of traffic causing her to hit the door resulting death

Is it too late to proceed in a criminal case against the person that opened the door

Stephen Douglas Lombardi
Stephen Douglas Lombardi answered on Jun 1, 2020

There is no way to answer your question. Only prosecutors have the power/authority to file criminal charges. You can file a report with the police, but only a prosecutor has the discretion to bring charges.

Has an estate been opened? The estate has the right to bring the action.

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Iowa on
Q: If someone plead guilty to assault related to a bar fight 2 years ago:

And is now the subject of a law suit asking $400k for damages in the form of pain, suffering, emotional distress. And he has already paid medical expenses and lost wages to the plantiff. If the judge/jury awards the damages, what is the likely structure of the settlement? Payments? Lump sum?... Read more »

Erik Luthens
Erik Luthens answered on May 18, 2020

This is a complex situation that needs to be discussed with an Iowa attorney who handle dramshop litigation. I suggest that you immediately contact such an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Iowa on
Q: can you be charged with anything if you ask someone you ask to come to see you get in an accident

if you asked someone to come and see you and they refuse to let you pick them up and instead they take public transportation and then get into an accident are you responsible to help pay the medical bills and if you don't can they charge you with anything?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 29, 2020

An Iowa attorney could answer your question best, but your post remains open for two weeks. As a general matter, it seems unlikely that criminal charges would stem from such a scenario, unless there are factors not mentioned, such as allowing a small child to fend for themselves on public... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Arbitration / Mediation Law, Car Accidents and Insurance Bad Faith for Iowa on
Q: If a driver of a vehicle has a suspended license and hits someone riding a bicycle, wouldn't she be at fault automatical

Wouldn't she be at fault for driving on a suspended license

Erik Luthens
Erik Luthens answered on Feb 24, 2020

Operating a motor vehicle with having a suspended license does not create a liability per se situation.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Iowa on
Q: Is there a 2 yr statue of limitations on a personal injury claim?

My town has eflex for filing a small claim and after the 5th or 6th time of it being returned for missing information I let my frustrations break me down and put it aside to regroup, now I believe it may be too late.?

Erik Luthens
Erik Luthens answered on Jan 16, 2020

Generally speaking, a personal injury claim in Iowa must be filled within two (2) years of the date of the incident at issue. You should immediately contact an Iowa attorney who handles personal injury claims to discuss your situation.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Domestic Violence and Sexual Harassment for Iowa on
Q: What exactly is slander or deformation of character? Can I be sued if what I'm saying is absolutely true?
William Jaksa
William Jaksa answered on Oct 14, 2019

It varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and can vary from one situation from another. Simply put it is a false statement that hurts a person's reputation. You are allowed to express an opinion and you are allowed to state facts - everything else is a grey area. Yes, you can be sued even if... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Iowa on
Q: I was in a car accident and I had to have surgery on my elbow and arm now trying to get my movement back and strength

I am in therapy and the other driver ran a stop sign

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 11, 2019

There wasn't a question here. If you're wondering about your legal rights or what you should do, you're probably already aware that contacting an Iowa personal injury attorney would be a good first step. Most attorneys offer free initial consults on such cases. Based on your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Products Liability and Civil Litigation for Iowa on
Q: My fathers civil case trial in Iowa settled in Iowa, now can attorney get the percentage from texas no cap or iowas

In texas they have no amount or percentage capped they can get more than 33% by using texas law in Iowa we get 33% of settlement. texas also charges for court cost experts who testified traveling cost there own plain flew hear. We won was allowed to be reversed we appealed it was sent back to... Read more »

Erik Luthens
Erik Luthens answered on Jul 16, 2019

It is unclear as to what you are asking. You need to schedule an appointment (do not randomly call on the telephone) with your attorney and have him or her fully explain what is happening in your case.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Products Liability for Iowa on
Q: After wearing my brand new,name brand, snow boots shoveling for 2hrs. I noticed there were lumps on my Achilles tendons.

2 years later having to have surgery from the plastic or metal piece holding the shaft up, rubbed my Achilles tendons to shred. Never wore boots again. Can I sue boot company for this happening to me.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 21, 2018

You could consult with an attorney in Iowa who could examine further details about the boots and whether they were defectively designed or manufactured. Anyone can sue, but with additional information, an attorney might be able to advise you more meaningfully as to the merits of pursuing such a... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for Iowa on
Q: I was in a motorcycle accident Nov 7 2016 I didn't have insurance. The other driver ran a red light and hit me no ins

He was charged for running the light. I was in Iowa City for CPL weeks cracked and broken pelvis had 8 1/2 hr surgery in a wheelchair for a year. I'm still unable to work and require additional surgery. Is their anything I can do since neither of us had insurance?

Stephen Douglas Lombardi
Stephen Douglas Lombardi answered on Oct 7, 2018

That's a difficult question to answer without having more information about the accident and without being able to read the accident report from the police department that investigated the accident. I will be in the office after 2:30 Pm today if you would like to discuss the situation.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Personal Injury for Iowa on
Q: I was a victim in a bank robbery and was assulted, later diagnosis with ptsd and had to leave my job can i sue the banks

The bank was robbed 2 times prior in less than 24 months, fbi was warning all banks a gang was robbing banks

Erik Luthens
Erik Luthens answered on Jun 27, 2018

If the bank failed to take reasonable precautions to make its premises relatively safe, then you might have a claim worth pursuing. A significant issue is whether the robbery in question was reasonably foreseeable by the bank.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Iowa on
Q: Can a shared post on Facebook be worthy of defamation if part is public record and part is photo evidence of the injury?

My friends boyfriend recently inflicted bodily harm to her. 911 was called and he is facing two charges of domestic abuse. There was a post on Facebook showing a screenshot of his arrest record- public record- and pictures of my friends injuries (split lip, swollen eyes, bruises, etc.).... Read more »

Erik Luthens
Erik Luthens answered on Apr 23, 2018

"Threatening" to sue for defamation is much different than actually recovering damages based on a defamation claim. Truth is a classic defense to a defamation claim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.