Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Nevada Criminal Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Nevada on
Q: How is it legal for Nye cnty to have my partner in custody since July 23 without a court date? Can't get lawyer to reply

My partner is being held in Nye county, NV. There is no date on calendar for him and we can't get a hold of his attny. Both he and I have contacted his office and left multiple msgs with the receptionist for him to contact my partner. The last time he saw a judge was in district Court directly... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
answered on Dec 1, 2022

you need to ask this of Nevada, not Calif lawyers.

if you keep calling I'm sure you will have no trouble making an appt with a lawyer...........if you are in a position to retain one.

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Nevada on
Q: At my preliminary hearing the judge stated that the alleged witness / victims testimony was not credible but she found

enough evidence (which was testimony) to send to higher court.

Can a judge discredit a witness and then find sufficient evidence to send to district Court?

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Nevada on
Q: I have court today and my public pretender won't help me. He says im going to get arrested and the judge revoked my bail

I need help fast... I've never missed a court date and I need help firing my public pretender and getting an extension

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Nevada on
Q: What's the worst crime you could bring down the charges from like stealing, to killing people? lowering the sentence.

Could the best lawyers find sentence you not guilty of murder even though you did it

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Legal Malpractice for Nevada on
Q: what can i do if the district attorny dosent follow thru with there end of a plea aggrement

as part of my sons plea bargin nye county said they would "arrange for the dismissal and/or lack of pursuit of pending controlled substance case in Utah.

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Nevada on
Q: I’m wondering if one can waive the right to a prelim hearing at a prelim hearing? And plead guilty at it?

What would be the next steps if waiving the right and pleading at that hearing? Would it be sentencing?

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Nevada on
Q: My brother was in probation for robbery and burglary , during his probation period he committed same previous felonies,

my question is will there be any addings to his previous sentence or will he has to serve the period of his first sentence

0 Answers | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody, Criminal Law and Family Law for Nevada on
Q: "Nevada" can parole officers prevent a parolee from having a child and getting married or moving in together?

Convicted of child murder served 20 years in prison now out on parole. My boyfriend and I would like to start a family, can they prohibit us from doing that? Can they also stop us from getting married and moving in together when I also have 2 other children from previous relationships? Can they... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Criminal Law and Civil Litigation for Nevada on
Q: Can I sue my girlfriend? My girlfriend went to on mormon mission on 2016 and asked me if I could helped her.

So I obliged to her request. However, it's not a mission, she moved in with her bf. I was paying for food and rent, knowing shes doing good in church. Moved forward, I was still supported up until September 1, 2022, cuz I found out that shes been cheating on me all this time. Also, I found out... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Sep 28, 2022

You can probably sue her in small claims but I doubt many lawyers will be interested due to the amount in controversy. Most likely more trouble than it’s worth.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law and Landlord - Tenant for Nevada on
Q: I am cleaning and fixing a house and exchange for low rent, I donated two cars that weren't running and now being evicte

At the house I am staying in I made an agreement with a person who manages the property for the owner, Hey agreement was that I would fix up the house and clean the property while I'm living here for a low rent, about the cars too this person many times and they've even mentioned about... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jun 2, 2022

A Nevada attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. At this point, you could reach out to local attorneys to discuss. A landlord-tenant attorney would probably be in the best position to advise about eviction. In terms of the cars, you already included Criminal Law for... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Nevada on
Q: I received 4 checks in the amount of $500 from a guy I met online. He digitally sent me the 4 checks and I mobile depos

Deposited them into my account. Once the 1st check cleared my account was drained of all the money in it to where I was hundreds in the negative. I notified my bank explaining all this. Now my account is locked and my account is in the negative and the bank that the checks were from marked the... Read more »

Richard W. Noel
Richard W. Noel
answered on Feb 3, 2022

This is a very common scam. Hopefully your bank will be understanding of your situation. But it's a tough lesson to learn.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Tax Law and Federal Crimes for Nevada on
Q: IRS account transcripts issues

I was hoping I could ask you a question.

When I login to get my account transcripts. For some reason as of last Friday I was able to see 2014 and 2015 and download them. However as of yesterday Saturday I can see all of them except for 2014 and 2015 it says N/A for those years.

Is... Read more »

Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
answered on Jan 12, 2022

Transcripts only stay available online for a certain period of time. If you did not owe any taxes for a particular year it is not unusual for them to be removed. January is the time of year that the IRS updates its systems so that may be why they disappeared. There is no guarantee that this is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Domestic Violence for Nevada on
Q: My ex and her mom took my cats to a shelter when I wasn't home because my gf and I got in a fight. I lived here; crime?

My ex and I got into a fight when my ex was mad at me that I decided to come home to use the bathroom before a new job. She thought I was going to be late. When I went to leave, she followed me to my car. She damaged my property. She hit my car window with her hand she kicked my car. She grabbed my... Read more »

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
answered on Nov 22, 2021


I am so sorry you are going through this. These situations are never easy. Unfortunately, our firm practices family law and it seems like you may need to find an attorney who can assist you with a domestic abuse case.

I wish you all the best.

-Bonnie Lonardo, ESQ.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Nevada on
Q: Warrent from hawaii. Don't pick him up in 30 days will he get out.. can he bail himself out for current charges here?
Malcolm P. LaVergne
Malcolm P. LaVergne
answered on Sep 2, 2020

Yes, in state court he can apply for bail during extradition proceedings, but it's still in the judge's discretion to grant bail pending the formal extradition. I've done this successfully for clients before.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Criminal Law and Constitutional Law for Nevada on
Q: Hello, In Nevada can you open carry a firearm on public school grounds during the summer when the school is closed?

The high school by my house has a sign allowing people to use the track for exercise and dog walking. I use the track in the summer when schools out. Usually at 11:00pm-1:00am, so I like to have a firearm on me. Is this allowed since the school is closed for several months, and it’s in the... Read more »

Malcolm P. LaVergne
Malcolm P. LaVergne
answered on Jul 8, 2020

No. See NRS 202.265. This statute does not have an exception for the time of day. The track is part of school property for any Nevada public school I know about. You can face a criminal charge for being on school property with a gun at any time. It's a gross misdemeanor, and you can face up to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Nevada on
Q: How does the statute of limitations work on a petit larceny charge in Nevada?

On Feb 18, 2015 I was stopped at Kohl's for allegedly shoplifting a purse worth about $50. I never heard anything more about it after that day until now. Apparently they filed a criminal complaint in my maiden name on March 30, 2015. I am supposed to go in to jail to be booked and my OR is... Read more »

Malcolm P. LaVergne
Malcolm P. LaVergne
answered on Jun 25, 2020

The charges were filed within one year of the alleged act, so the statute of limitations has been met. So you are not passed the statute of limitations. If they issued a warrant for your arrest at that time or when you failed to show up, the warrant just remains outstanding until you respond.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for Nevada on
Q: What if someone put a hidden camera in my house and I don't know where it is?

What would happen if there are spy cams unknown to the owners in their homes? I’m suspecting that there are hidden cameras in my home. People seem to know what I've been up to in my home without telling anyone and I'm told that there are hidden cameras in my house. Is there a law that... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jul 5, 2020

I'm sorry for your ordeal. This is something a Nevada attorney could advise best on, but your question remains open for four weeks. You could look into the cost of investigators. To save money, you might be able to conduct some of your own investigations on the property. If you find that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Nevada on
Q: The statutes say you can only file a plea to withdraw if you haven't been sentenced yet except if it's basically unjust.

I have the plea ready but I didnt include anything about that but in its self its unjust.I really need for my plea to be granted.I need help.

Malcolm P. LaVergne
Malcolm P. LaVergne
answered on May 31, 2020

Feel free to contact me at 702.448.7981. Plea agreements can be difficult to withdraw, but not impossible. There are multiple reasons for it to be set aside, even after a judgment is entered in some cases. Malcolm.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Nevada on
Q: My truck is up for forfeiture, how can I get it back?

I was arrested in an underage prostitution sting, they towed the truck I drove to the meeting away and will not release it back to me. They have told me they are looking at forfeiture, is there anything I can do?

Malcolm P. LaVergne
Malcolm P. LaVergne
answered on Apr 21, 2020

It's complicated because it can be both a civil and criminal matter. There are recent Supreme Court cases on this issue. You need to retain a lawyer immediately to figure this out, or you will lose the truck by default.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.