Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Ohio Collections Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Banking and Collections for Ohio on
Q: unknown to me the checking account was "backed up" by Visa for overdrafts. I have not used either account in years.

Visa billed the checking account which caused an over draft. The overdraft was covered by a cash advance from Visa. Thus Visa was "paid". This cycle repeated monthly until I was made aware. A year ago I saw an overdraft of several thousand and filed a "fraud" complaint because I... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Collections for Ohio on
Q: Stop payment on plumbing service

Our basement flooded and we received an estimate for work. We signed the estimate and we’re told it was “no problem” if we changed our mind. We told the company we were getting other estimates and to stop all work. They did an hour of work. We received other estimates that were 75% LESS than... Read more »

Bruce Martin Broyles
Bruce Martin Broyles answered on Aug 26, 2021

Many credit card companies provide you with an option to dispute any charge on your card.

As soon as you dispute the matter, the credit card company with "chargeback" the amount from the Plumbing Company. The credit card company will then attempt to resolve the issue and...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Ohio on
Q: A business is charging me for services I never asked for or scheduled with them. What can I do?

A well chlorination company cleaned the well of a house I'm in the process of buying and when I told them a week later that it didn't pass the county's water test they went back out to the house to re-chlorinate without my consent or scheduling anything with me and are charging me... Read more »

Mark Martin Turner
Mark Martin Turner answered on Jun 30, 2021

A few things here. First, was the original service (which I assume you requested) warranted to pass the inspection, or should they have known that was what you needed, if you answer yes to either then the company breached its warranty to you in the initial service. The second service should not... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Collections for Ohio on
Q: My friend got a debt collection letter to appear in court.

Can a debt collection agency sue if they don't have my friend SSN and the report doesn't appear on her credit report. i told her to ignore it I think its a scheme tactic but she is worried?

Joel Allen Holt
Joel Allen Holt answered on Jul 7, 2021

The question is a bit vague, but generally speaking, the debt collector (or the party owed the debt) can file a lawsuit if they have proof that the debt is valid, outstanding, and binding on your friend. They don't need a SSN to file the suit and the debt does not have to appear on the credit... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law and Collections for Ohio on
Q: Is it to late to file exemption once the garnishment stops

Sorry I meant start? Also I gave all my income information to the creditors lawyer and they were suppose to call me back to agree on a payment plan and never got back with me once they received my income they just went forward with the garnishment.

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jun 10, 2021


1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Ohio on
Q: How can I fight an annual subscription to eHarmony that has been passed on to a collection agency?

I had to cancel my debit card associated to the account bc of unrelated fraud. I figured that would cancel my subscription. It did not they auto renewed for a year. Since it didn't get paid they forwarded it to collections.

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Jun 7, 2021

Not by admitting you owe the money, which is what it appears you've done. Canceling a debt card does nothing to impair contractual obligations just because the card was given as payment. I would suggest sending the debt collectors a letter asking for proof of the debt. The FDCPA requires them... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Ohio on
Q: I keep getting a call from what seems like a layers office. They are saying that I owe around $1,300.00 from 2016

They say it is from a payday loan but they won't tell me the name of the company. I did owe a couple of companies but I am sure I paid them off. When I ask they name of the company they just say cash store. I have no way to know if this is legit or a scam. They keep threatening with taking me... Read more »

Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr answered on Mar 10, 2021

There are so many scams out there concerning these "payday" loans. Tell them to only contact you in writing and demand proof of the debt. I bet you never hear from them.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Collections for Ohio on
Q: I received 2 letters from debt collections for municipal speed cameras 4 months afterward without a formal citation.

I recently received 2 letters from a collection agency stating that I have outstanding debts for speed camera violations in 2 different municipalities in Trumbull County, Ohio. This came as a shock because I never received a formal citation, photograph, or any evidence of any kind that indicated I... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Dec 29, 2020

Contact the municipalities to determine if they are valid, and if they are, then use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney to advise you.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Collections for Ohio on
Q: Can I be arrested for failure to repay a loan?

I got a call that said if I don’t call back that they would be obligated to take the case to court and advised find my location.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jan 19, 2021

This is something that an Ohio attorney could advise best on, since it could involve elements of state law. But your question remains open for a while. Until you can reach out to an Ohio attorney for more meaningful guidance based on the specific facts of your situation, as a GENERAL premise... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Ohio on
Q: My son had a medical bill go to collections. Then his insurance company paid claim in full after two appeals.

The billing company was aware of the appeals and my son was keeping them updated on the status. They still sent it to collections. Insurance has finally paid the claim in full so where does my son stand in this situation? Does he talk to the billing company? The collection agency? Both? Is he... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 19, 2020

Dear Mrs. Hibner,

An Ohio attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. In most jurisdictions, the recommendation would more or less be standard... You could tell your son to ask the insurance company to provide him with proof of their payment of the claim - that...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Products Liability, Collections and Insurance Defense for Ohio on
Q: Am I required to talk with rental co. for a liability claim investigation? They're wanting to know if I had insurance
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 2, 2020

An Ohio attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for three weeks. It could depend on your capacity and role in the matter. If you are insured by a carrier, you may want to consult with their examiner or attorney for guidance. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Civil Litigation, Collections and Small Claims for Ohio on
Q: What information does a company like Midland Credit need to collect an unpaid debt that will hold up in court in Ohio?

Will a simple statement (without a list of transactions) work? Or do they need the original agreement and list of transactions? This is for an unpaid credit card debt that was charged off and sold to Midland Credit. (Assume you're trying to fight it without filing bankruptcy please.)

Tonya VanBenschoten
Tonya VanBenschoten answered on Sep 11, 2020

If you filed for bankruptcy after the debt was incurred and you received a discharge, all that they need is your case number.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Contracts, Health Care Law and Collections for Ohio on
Q: Can do anything to fight my health insurance company for an over payment claw back? What type of lawyer do I need?

I started a new career 2 years ago and was able to get health insurance through my company. I have some health issues, so rather than cancelling the insurance coverage from my wife, I had her policy switched to my secondary insurance and my new policy as my primary. Yesterday we received a stack... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 26, 2020

An Ohio attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. What type of lawyer? It looks like you already did a good job of identifying the categories - health care law and collections. You could reach out to attorneys in those categories. If you engage an attorney who would... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Ohio on
Q: I won a settlement from spouse and never paid. Can I add interest and how much do lawyers fees range?

It was quite a few years ago and she is now married to a successful doctor. She filed BK years ago but I know that the debt cannot be discharged. The amount was a bit larger.

Taylor P Waters
Taylor P Waters answered on Aug 10, 2020

Each year the Ohio Tax Commissioner sets the interest rate on judgments. The current interest rate is 4%. As for attorney fees, that range is too large to properly estimate for you. If you choose to hire an attorney for collection, you can ask that attorney for what they're fees would be.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Ohio on
Q: What does No Service on Defendant, mean? The status of a case against me just changed to this.

The case against me is from a creditor.

Taylor P Waters
Taylor P Waters answered on Aug 10, 2020

It means the creditor has not been able to properly serve you court documents. They're likely to try some other means to serve you. As soon as you're served you have 28 days to file your answer or they will seek a default judgment.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Collections for Ohio on
Q: Hello David. My question would be should the garnishment been taken out of my short term disability ?

If not how could I go about getting that money back?

Joseph Michael Romano Esq
Joseph Michael Romano Esq answered on Jun 23, 2020

There is no exemption in Ohio to protect short term disability payments (received from an insurance company, I presume) from being attached. The only way you can get it back would be to file a bankruptcy (presuming you are having financial difficulties (consult a bankruptcy attorney) and getting... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Collections for Ohio on
Q: My job paid me once Unum Ins was sent the doctors info. So when I got my check I saw there was a deduction.

I pay out of my check each week for the short term disability and or income replacement premium. So when my company sent the money the garnishment was already taken out in the sum of 900.00 I hope this helps. I know some states look at employer short disability as income. Not sure where Ohio fall... Read more »

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Jun 23, 2020

So What is your question?

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Collections for Ohio on
Q: I was on short term disability from job and got paid from insurance plan through work. Can that be garnished. In Ohio

I have been getting money taken out of my check for the a garnishment while I was working but thought Short term disability was exempt? It was for a old judgment.

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jun 22, 2020

The short term disability should be exempt!!!

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Collections for Ohio on
Q: The above captioned case is dismissed without conjunction at plaintiffs cost for want of prosecution as to both.

What does that mean? I’m the defendant.

Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss answered on Jun 1, 2020

Plaintiff didn't take any action and so the case is dismissed.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Collections and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio on
Q: Can I fight this?

I rented an apartment May 2019 to June 2020. On May 1st my rent was due. I was not going to have the money to pay the rent till after May 7th. On May 6th I got an eviction notice stating I needed to vacate by May 11th. To avoid legal action I left May 9th. I got a final statement yesterday saying I... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on May 26, 2020

Yes you can fight it. If they sue you for the money, then you can file an answer to the complaint that they file, and then attend the hearing to offer the lease as your defense. Check with local legal aid, or if your local court has a clinic with volunteers to assist those without an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.