Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Ohio Tax Law Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for Ohio on
Q: Hello! My employer has bad HSA options. Can I open accounts elsewhere and contribute to them for a tax break?

Please note that this employer does not have direct HSA contributions, so that's not a problem. Instead, they dangle "wellness bucks" in front of you and drop them in your lap if you get a proper checkup annually.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Ohio on
Q: My employer gives me $65/mth for my cellphone, is this taxable income?
Edmond Mack
Edmond Mack answered on Mar 29, 2022

Generally speaking, the IRS has answered this question in the negative- In 2011, the Internal Revenue Service issued an internal field memorandum generally advising that employers will be allowed to reimburse an employee’s cell phone expenses if the employer has substantial business reasons,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, Tax Law and Education Law for Ohio on
Q: More than half of my property taxes go to City Schools which allow illegal immigrant's children an education without a

US birth certificate. Isn't this city overreach and illegal to use taxpayer money on children (or the children of parents who are here illegally) who are not born in this country and do not speak English (putting other children behind) and do not have legal status?

Gunda Yohanna Brost
Gunda Yohanna Brost answered on Mar 8, 2022

Would you rather they don’t have a safe place to go and get an education? They’re here and I’d you force desperate people out into the streets or will certainly cause more desperation and crime.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Tax Law for Ohio on
Q: I was placed a lawsuit on me for back city taxes. I Wasnt notified of this action, and

They put a offset on my federal taxes and Wasnt aware no action, filed bankruptcy and it should of been discharged

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Mar 1, 2022

What is your question?

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Ohio on
Q: How far back can a municipality go to collect taxes? Is there a cap on penalty & int. or can they clean you out?

I have unfiled city taxes for 14,15 ,16 and 17 for which they took me to court in 2019.

Kenneth L. Sheppard Jr.
Kenneth L. Sheppard Jr. answered on Oct 13, 2021

Indefinitely. You did not file your tax returns. The statute of limitations for collections does not apply when a taxpayer does not file the tax return. You need to become compliant by filing the tax returns and then set up a payment plan after they calculate penalties and interest.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Tax Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Ohio on
Q: Wtf does this mean

So I quit claim deed was given to me 7 years ago and I've been going through a divorce for almost that amount of time and it was just finalized a week ago Thursday and I went to file and paid the convenience fees and the recording fees but something wasn't on the deed a number I... Read more »

Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp answered on Oct 4, 2021

You need to sit down with an attorney in your area so he or she can take a detailed look at your situation. This issue is going to be to involved for an answer on this forum.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Bankruptcy, Tax Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Ohio on
Q: Can an employer be pursued for monies incorrectly withheld and paid to a municipality due to an acknowledged error?

Hired in 2005, I moved to a virtual role during 2012. Following a bankruptcy discharge in 2018 I was notified of a municipal income tax deficiency owed to my residence city. Upon receipt of the notification I worked with the tax authority to attempt to reconcile. This included providing copies of... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Sep 1, 2021


1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Landlord - Tenant, Sexual Harassment and Tax Law for Ohio on
Q: I have a few questions about eviction and sexual harassment in the workplace and my right to get my taxes back from the

I have a few questions about eviction and the right to get my taxes back from the hotel I was residing in. I think it will be a very easy case , and I was residing at the hotel when I was confronted by the general manager for allegedly soliciting, but I was told to be smart and not to have any... Read more »

James J. Hux
James J. Hux answered on Aug 3, 2021

This doesn’t really sound like an easy case and is complicated. Make sure you contact an employment law attorney as soon as possible to discuss this in more detail. Some will offer free initial consultations.

Attorney James J. Hux

Hux Law Firm LLC

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Ohio on
Q: I opened a vendor’s license in Ohio, but have not started and have zero sales. I received a sales tax bill?

I have no sales at all, and the bill is for over $3k, unsure what they’re billing for.

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Jun 23, 2021

As the holder of a vendor's license, you are required by law to file returns even if no sales occur and no taxes are owed. If you have failed to do so, it's likely you are looking at fines, not taxes. You should review the document you received with an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Ohio on
Q: Is there a statue of limitation on how far back state of Ohio to collect state income tax?
Kenneth L. Sheppard Jr.
Kenneth L. Sheppard Jr. answered on Jun 10, 2021

ODT has 7 years from the date of assessment to file a suit against the taxpayer. Once the judgment is rendered then the ODT/OAG has 15 years to collect. If no tax return was ever filed, then there is no statute of limitation to collect.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Ohio on
Q: I am POA for someone in prison in Ohio...they had 2 stimulus payments sent to my account for I send it ?
Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp answered on Jun 1, 2021

Send it where? To their account in prison? A detailed review of the documents and surrounding facts would be needed in order to discuss your options, and opine on the best course of action.

Best of luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Ohio on
Q: Me n my sis inherited trust/house in OH. Will sell. We in FL. Should house be put in our name or leave trust? Tax diff?

We were told cashing check would be easier if house was in our name when sold. However would there be any tax issues if house is in our name when sold as apposed to being in the trusts name.

Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp answered on May 5, 2021

The answer is going to depend on the terms of the Trust. The same holds true for the tax consequences. I recommend speaking with an attorney, either via Zoom or in person, to go through things. A detailed analysis of the Trust will be needed to determine what actions would be most beneficial.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Tax Law for Ohio on
Q: I claimed my child in taxes who gets the stimulus money me or my ex husband?
Cathy Cook Esq
Cathy Cook Esq answered on Mar 9, 2021

If you are the custodial parent, you do. If you and your ex have shared parenting, the court may divide the stimulus between you.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Ohio on
Q: State of Ohio holds income tax liens on real estate I own jointly with my wife. The value of the real estate is low.

The sale of the property will not satisfy the tax lien. Other than paying the tax lien, how can I dispose of the property?

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Feb 19, 2021

If the taxes exceed the fair market value, then if the taxes are not paid, eventually the county will send the property to tax foreclosure sale. If you can't find a buyer willing to pay the tax, then you could try auctioning it.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Ohio on
Q: Can the State of Ohio prevent the sale of real estate if they hold a Tax Lien against the property?

The State of Ohio holds a Tax Lien against real estate that I own jointly with my spouse. The tax debt is solely mine and does not involve my spouse. My spouse would like to sell the real estate and get their share of the proceeds. My share of the proceeds will not be sufficient to pay off the... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Feb 8, 2021

The state will not intervene to stop the sale, but unless all liens and mortgages can be paid at closing, then the buyer will not close the sale. You would have to pay money at closing to make up any deficit, for there to be sufficient funds to pay off the lien. Otherwise, a buyer will not close.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Ohio on
Q: Do I pay taxes on an inheritance in ohio
Kenneth L. Sheppard Jr.
Kenneth L. Sheppard Jr. answered on Jan 22, 2021

No. There is no inheritance tax in Ohio, but other states there may be. Ohio has an estate tax which the estate pays on the value of the gross estate. Of course, once you receive your inheritance if there is growth on the asset, then you pay income tax on that growth only.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Ohio on
Q: If I have legally adopted my dog and gave it my last name can I claim my dog on my taxes as a dependent

Tax purposes

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Dec 23, 2020


1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Ohio on
Q: City of Dayton says I haven’t filed my city taxes in 2008 or 2009, is there a statute of limitations on filing taxes?

I think I did file and paid, but I shred all documents after 10 years and no longer have any proof.

Jeffrey J Ferguson
Jeffrey J Ferguson answered on Dec 13, 2020

The non filing of city taxes does not have a statute of limitations. I would need to look a the city of Dayton ordinances to be sure. I would recommend looking to your bank for proof of payment from that period of time if you do not have copies of your paper filings.

A local tax...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Ohio on
Q: Tax question about property buyout.

I have the condo deed my name and will sign over after buyout but concerned large personal check may lead to tax issue? We lived there for 3+ years. Should I insist that when he goes to closing the bank give a check or does it matter as far as taxes go? Should be about 85k

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Aug 27, 2020

The manner in which paid does not affect whether any tax might be due. Contact your tax professional to determine if you will have any tax due on the transaction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.