Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Texas International Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in International Law for Texas on
Q: We had a family member die in a mexican hotel. The police say suicide. As americans, how do we obtain the police repor

There was an autopsy and investigation with pictures. We would like to have everything.

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Feb 3, 2022

This is not a matter of international law. It is a matter of the municipal (think local) law of the United States of Mexico.

You need a lawyer in the city where the event occurred. You have no advantage--nor disadvantage--being from another country trying to obtain a record....
Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for Texas on
Q: I am an International student from Myanmar and I am on a F-1 (Student) visa. Is there a chancfor me to apply for asylum?

Myanmar is going through a military coup right now and people do not have jobs. My parents can’t send me money for school or to go back home anymore. I do not have much options.

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Dec 20, 2021

It's hard to answer on these few facts, but my suggestion is to seek a conference with a good immigration lawyer (your situation appears to be mixed between "immigration" and "international")

I know that Burma is a problem, but what the U. S. State Department will...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for Texas on
Q: I was issued at Ordered Removed (inadmissible) on my way to NC from MEX. How can I get this removed, it was a mistake.

I was in Chicago (layover) and they questioned my intent of traveling to the US. I told them I was here to help a friend recover from surgery but did not believe my story. They said I was here to get married & after checking my phone, they could not prove it. Then the said I was here to work... Read more »

Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder answered on Jun 23, 2021

You have not stated very important information: How did you enter the USA? If you entered without inspection you were subject to removal regardless of your reason for being here and your education. You agreed to the removal.

1 Answer | Asked in International Law for Texas on
Q: How would I go about selling a home internationally? I have a home that was willed to me by my father in Guatemala.

Do I need to hire a lawyer in that country or do I need to only consult a real estate agent?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 26, 2021

A Texas attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. As a general principle, real estate transactions tend to be governed by state-specific or nation-specific laws. You could reach out to attorneys in the Austin area as a starting point, but it's likely a real... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, International Law and Tax Law for Texas on
Q: Should I get a tax refund as an international student?

I started working this year and filed my taxes for last year. I got a tax refund but I was not employed anywhere last year. I am a F-1 student, will this refund affect my chances of getting green card?

Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury answered on Apr 22, 2021

You should consult with a Certified Public Accountant to understand why you got a refund. As long as your taxes were properly completed, the mere fact that you got a refund will not affect your eligibility for permanent residency/green card. You should consult with an immigration attorney though... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for Texas on
Q: My fiance's family moved to the US when he was 1 y.o. Is there any possibility that he can get the citizenship?

Hello. I have recently heard about your free legal services. My fiancé and I are in the process of moving to a small town in my country. We are just at the beginning, so your advice would be very important to us. Namely, my fiance's family migrated to the US (from North America), when he was... Read more »

Grant St Julian III
Grant St Julian III answered on Nov 13, 2020

Yes. Contact an attorney in your area to discuss possibilities. Good luck, and congratulations on the engagement.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, Tax Law, International Law and Internet Law for Texas on
Q: Hey plzz reply ASAP dear...I too live in the can you get paid from youtube even after having F1 visa?

So if I upload a video from US but link it with my homecountry bank...which means I can't get the money in USA but only get money in my home country bank that legal and fine? And what if I know someone who is working in USA and invested and have E2 visa(not green card), can I... Read more »

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler answered on Nov 6, 2020

No! You are living and working in the U. S. in violation of your F-1 student status. There can be remedies to this mistake, but you need an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney, who can take the time to provide legal advice.

The above is general information,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in International Law for Texas on
Q: What does need to identify mean in Pre release from TDCJ?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 22, 2020

You could repost your question under Criminal Law - Texas. This doesn't look like an international law matter, which might be why it remained open for three weeks. It looks like it's something that involves the Pre-Release Substance Abuse Program (PRSAP) with the Texas Department of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and International Law for Texas on
Q: If I am married in another country legally, is it required for me to get it validated again in Texas?

Married in India legally and have the government-issued certificate of marriage. Is it required to get registered, married or validated again in USA and more specifically texas?

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Oct 15, 2020


The states of the U. S. recognize a duly done marriage from wherever if it is done within the laws of that place. If you have a marriage certificate you're fine

good Luck


1 Answer | Asked in International Law for Texas on
Q: Is there a more recent system to collect international crime data?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 7, 2020

You could contact Interpol (International Criminal Police Organization) to check if they maintain resources - or whether they could direct you to other entities that do. They have 194 member countries and they share data on crime. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law, Contracts and International Law for Texas on
Q: Can I hire international contractors for video content creation for my online only business?

I want to start an online yoga studio that provides live classes and video library of the recorded live classes. For this, I plan on working with yoga teachers from around the world.

My question is, can I form my business as an LLC and hire them as independent contractors to provide me... Read more »

Jane Kim
Jane Kim answered on Aug 7, 2020


A business can tap into sub-contractors' labor and may solely rely on sub-contractors. It signifies that you do not have much control over their work. A good overview of what factors would be considered an independent contractor v. employee can be found here-...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Employment Law, Business Law and International Law for Texas on
Q: I want to use a Lebanese artist to create and sell graphic designs. Am l allowed to hire him? We'd need PayPal.
David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Jun 4, 2020

Where is the artist?

You ask a question that needs more detail.

Are you going to pay hourly? piece work? project work? or whatever.

Where does he work? Do you provide the supplies.

Go see an immigration lawyer and an employment lawyer.

Good Luck


1 Answer | Asked in International Law for Texas on
Q: Will I have to become a US citizen to "fix my husband papers" or can I do it as a US resident. Note: he lives in Mexico.

I am really confused because from what I understand I do have to become a citizen first to fix my husband papers but my dad is also a resident and he fixed me, my mom, my 2 sisters, and my 2 brothers papers.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 3, 2020

This doesn't sound like an international law matter. It isn't fully clear what you mean by fixing your husband's papers, but it sounds like this could be something dealing with immigration forms. If that's what you mean by "husband's papers," you could repost your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law and International Law for Texas on
Q: What practice area would apply to an international high dollar love scam regarding an USA elder man and foreign lady
Terry Lynn Garrett
Terry Lynn Garrett answered on Jan 21, 2020

This is elder exploitation, handled by some elder lawyers and investigated by the FBI.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for Texas on
Q: Obtaining Citizenship

I’m married with my US citizen wife about 5 years and planning to get her my home countries citizenship through marriage. is there any restrictions for US citizens to obtaining another countries citizenship through marriage ?

Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman answered on Nov 3, 2019

The United States accepts dual citizenship.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for Texas on
Q: My husband is a refugee climate in Canada, he wants to come to the US with his kids and I (We are US citizens) can he?

Will they let him in because we are married? And he can adjust his status once he's here? I already have the 1-130 in process

Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga answered on Jun 12, 2019

It is possible that he will not be allowed in because of his intent. He’d be coming as a tourist, which is a temporary visa, though his intent would be to immigrate.

On the other hand, he might be allowed in, depending on the questions asked an your husband’s responses.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, International Law and Probate for Texas on
Q: My unmarried sister died a year ago in Colombia without a will. She had no children.

My nephews and brother in Colombia are asking me how is my financial situation, how much is my retirement pension, etc. I don't know if I am going to be treated fairly. The attorney is a personal friend of my nephew.

What action should I take? Pls give me your advice.

Thank you.

Terry Lynn Garrett
Terry Lynn Garrett answered on Apr 29, 2019

Your financial situation has nothing to do with how much of your sister's estate you should inherit according to Columbian law.

It does have something to do with how much a dishonest administrator is willing to give you and whether he thinks you will have the ability to sue and appear...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes, Gov & Administrative Law and International Law for Texas on
Q: Are there any laws or cases about blind obedience to authority figures? This is for some research for an English project

We are doing our own version of a court trial both prosecuting and defending different groups of people that were responsible for the holocaust. My group is in charge of defending the SS soldiers that carried out Hitler's orders without question. For our research and to help us present our... Read more »

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Feb 25, 2019

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice, Criminal Law, Products Liability and International Law for Texas on
Q: How can I legally retrieve my personal belonging when I’m in a different country? They are being withheld from me.

I was in England for a while with my aunt as a student, I decided to accompany her to instabul for an operation. There she kicked me out without any money in an unknown country. I had to find a way to get home. So I took a direct flight to my home country Texas. I’ve contacted her regarding my... Read more »

Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg answered on Apr 16, 2018

You will probably need to retain a solicitor in England to sue her.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, Federal Crimes and International Law for Texas on
Q: What issues am I likely to face ay the port of entry ?

I was arrested for possession of THC edibles in Sierra Blanca Texas. The charges were dropped and dismissed since the edibles weren't mine; The arrest constitutes to a felony. How would this affect me in renewing my student visa, applying for a different visa or re-entrying the US ?

Grant St Julian III
Grant St Julian III answered on Apr 4, 2018

One of the requirements for naturalization is good moral character (GMC). An applicant for naturalization must show that he or she has been, and continues to be, a person of good moral character. In general, the applicant must show GMC during the five-year period immediately preceding his or her... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.