Mergers & Acquisitions Q&A by State

Your current state is Virginia

US Territories

Show More States »

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Mergers & Acquisitions Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law, Contracts and Mergers & Acquisitions for Florida on
Q: Can I share transaction details w/a business broker/consultant without breaching a business contract? and with a lawyer?

I recently sold my business. The asset purchase agreement signed by both parties states neither party can disclose details of the transaction for 3 years after closing. I want to share details of the business I sold (such as closing price, terms, EBITDA, brand) with a business broker. The reason... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on May 31, 2023

It is not likely that the agreement could be interpreted to prohibit you from sharing the terms with an attorney under such circumstances; and the fact that you do so would probably be confidential in any case. Run your dilemma by an attorney with experience in such matters to determine, first, if... Read more »

View More Answers

Q: Hi, does anyone specilize in cyber stalking and iliegal .account wear, every device I

I purchse, ends up control by an enterprise.metally Im destraut...and 10 phones later 6 one wants to help me?

0 Answers | Asked in Legal Malpractice, Medical Malpractice and Mergers & Acquisitions for Utah on
Q: Hi there! I'm looking to buy a medspa in Utah but I'm not a medical professional. Do I need to co-own with a PA?

I would be the one putting the down-payment for the seller financing agreement. If I need a PA to partner with, does the percentage need to be 50-50?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation and Mergers & Acquisitions for New York on
Q: I live in a mobile home park, we are selling our realtor was told by buys that Management of the park saying

Our house is for rent not for sell and management knows it's for sell. What can we do when management is Sabotaging the sell

Peter J. Weinman
Peter J. Weinman pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on May 18, 2023

Why do you suppose management wants to sabotage your sale? Is it possible the buyer got confused about the difference between buying your unit and renting the spot in the park?

Q: Renewal of employment contract on partial disability

I am a partner of a large professional firm and a full-time contract paid me well with benefits. Last year I developed a disability and since have been on partial disability. Our group had a vote and decided to sell the company to another prominent organization. In my profession, 1-3 year contracts... Read more »

N'kia (NLN)
N'kia (NLN)
answered on Apr 9, 2023

There are quite a few factors that could potentially affect your rights. For just a few examples:

Are you an owner or an employee? How recently did the new company take over? Was the promise for equivalent pay included in a written contract between the two companies? Etc.

To be...
Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Business Law, Mergers & Acquisitions and Contracts for California on
Q: Who is the owner of accounting data for a business after a business sale?

We sold the business and we have a hard time on getting access to the accounting data for the past years, when we were in charge of the business. Please let me know our rights in this case, as accounting was done through QuickBooks online and new owners took over the existing data.

Adam Stoddard
Adam Stoddard
answered on Feb 8, 2023

I assume there was a contract prepared for the sale of the business. You should first look to the contract to see whether there is a specific carve out for pre-sale accounting information and who would be the owner or at least have access to it. Your relationship with the purchaser is contractual... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Business Law and Mergers & Acquisitions for Washington on
Q: Can litigation be used to drain a company of its capital and leave it vulnerable to a takeover by the plaintiff?

Hi everyone, I don't have any specific geographical location in mind, so if lawyers have examples of laws that they know of, regardless of region, it'd be interesting to hear them:

Is there anything in the law to prevent litigation used by one larger company (that can handle... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Jan 4, 2023

Generally not unless it involves the purchaser becoming so large as to violate the Sherman Anti-trust Act. The activity you describe is called corporate raiding but is usually legal when performed within the rules of a particular state.

Q: What is the federal marijuana trafficking interstate distribution charge for no more than 50 pound's delivery

I'm a retired black market cannabis wholesale distributor Been out of the busses for years now, I'm so desperate I'm about to break bad in the information super highway online mail order marijuana distribution interstate distribution, no more than 50 pound's a shipment.

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Jan 16, 2023

21 USC 841 and 960.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Contracts and Mergers & Acquisitions for New York on
Q: Can I be held liable (by a new entity) for an NDA I signed with a company that is 100% sold to a new buyer or entity?

If I signed an NDA as a member of a now defunct LLC with a company for an “indefinite term.” Very general NDA to protect trade secrets, recipes, etc. If the owner of the company who I signed the NDA with passes away, and his heir takes over his rights (both business and estate), and sells the... Read more »

Jack Mevorach
Jack Mevorach
answered on Sep 20, 2022

Depending on the language of the NDA, yes. Have a free telephone consultation with counsel.


1 Answer | Asked in Mergers & Acquisitions and Real Estate Law for Georgia on
Q: Will a quick claim deed with no language stating that a merger would not taking place cancel a deed to secure debt ?

I had the deed to secure debt due to a loan with property owner

two years later due to ongoing financial help half interest in the deed was quick deeded into my name The property has foreclosed and the homeowners accosiation is vying for a portion of the excess funds and there position is... Read more »

Glenn M. Lyon
Glenn M. Lyon
answered on Feb 9, 2022

I don't follow your posting and the situation is likely too complicated for an online forum like this anyway. You should retain a local real estate attorney to advise you. And just FYI, it is called a "quit claim deed."

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Mergers & Acquisitions for Missouri on
Q: I am a tenant. I moved in august and signed a 1 year lease. My landlord has given me 6@ days to move out.

Because they are selling the house

Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
answered on Jan 6, 2022

If you are uncertain of your rights, schedule a consultation with a local landlord-tenant attorney. Generally, the landlord cannot simply force a tenant to move because the landlord is selling the property. There's a specific statute by which a tenant can be forced out if there has been a... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Business Formation, Contracts, Mergers & Acquisitions and Probate for Florida on


Phillip William Gunthert
Phillip William Gunthert
answered on Dec 15, 2021

I am sorry for your loss on the passing of your dad, please accept my condolences for you and your family at this sad and difficult time. The answer to your question is unknown, but probably not until you pro vide more details and specifics. You will need to start by getting a copy of the current... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Mergers & Acquisitions and Tax Law for California on
Q: I owe the CDTFA a tax balance generated by my business corporation that I no longer own. do I have liability protection?

The company was sold but only the assets were acquired. Does the tax debt fall on me personally?

David S. Greenberg
David S. Greenberg
answered on Nov 18, 2021

Section 6829 of the Revenue and Taxation Code provides that the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA) may pursue collection action against certain corporate personnel for any unpaid corporate sales and use tax liability.

1 Answer | Asked in Mergers & Acquisitions for New York on
Q: I plan to emigrate abroad. Extended visa will come with a limited partnership in a foreign business. Allowed? How?

I hope to become a silent partner in an LLC in the state of Israel or in Great Britain, a fine art gallery. Am I allowed to do that prior to emigration? I hope to use that "work status" as the owner of a business there to obtain residency as an ex-pat. I hope to not get ripped off, to... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Nov 16, 2021

Your post remains open for almost a week - some of the issues mentioned, such as emigration, alienage, visa, etc. could be things that an immigration attorney would have insight into. There's no guarantee that all questions are ultimately picked up, but you could try reposting with Immigration... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Mergers & Acquisitions for Oklahoma on
Q: What can we who about falsely putting a person on a motion of discovery?

My roommate was caught with a bunch of drugs and money and a gun up the road from my house and told them he lived here and they came and raided my house. Nothing of what they were looking for was found besides a set of scales and a little personal. Then whenever he gets out and has his motion to... Read more »

Charles Watts
Charles Watts
answered on Oct 11, 2021

Contact the attorney handling the defense in the case and have them address that

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Mergers & Acquisitions for California on
Q: Is my mother in law allowed to be in my house when her son is at work and it's just me and my kids when she's yelling me

I called and talk to the police department and she can be Danny my husband mom what will not leave our house but if Danny goes to work is she still allowed to be in my house if he's not there and it's just me,and my kids I don't know what to do

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
answered on Sep 11, 2021

You can obtain a Civil Restraining Order re: Harassment against her and apply for an order from a judge to keep her out of the house. In my opinion, you should contact a local attorney to discuss your personal situation.

Q: I need help forming a nonprofit company. I would like to sell gift boxes. I need help knowing the ins and outs of this.

I know many nonprofit companies that sell products/services and make money they don’t help a community at all. I would sell gift boxes and make a profit and help low income/foster care kids. I need help knowing what to do and how to set this organization up. I live in Florida. But any advice on... Read more »

Linda Liang
Linda Liang
answered on May 10, 2021

This is not just one question. This is a set of questions, which includes a) how to incorporate; b) how to receive non-profit status ; c) how to maintain a non-profit status. It is not easy to answer in a short form. You should start by incorporating and proceed to schedule a consultation with an... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.