Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Construction Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law, Environmental and Real Estate Law for Texas on
Q: We need to sue a developer and the county permitting office but cannot afford a lawyer. What can we do?


Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter answered on Nov 23, 2020

It is unlikely that you will be able to sue the county permitting office - there's a principle called "sovereign immunity" that prevents most suits against government agencies or employees.

As to the developer, it's impossible to tell you what needs to be done without...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Products Liability and Construction Law for Colorado on
Q: Contract/money exchanged for a remodel project with ho-owner in Early September. HO wants to now cancel and get refd

Time and material cost and possible of it changing was made clear from the start. Order was delayed and arrived wrong (this last monday). Lumber company was willing to except fault for mistake and meet us half way on materials cost increase. Homeowner eminently cancels and whole project and demands... Read more »

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Nov 22, 2020

You ask a lot of great questions. I suspect that you do not owe a full refund and I question the homeowners right to cancel. But, the answers to these questions are found in your contract. I recommend you bring your contract to an attorney to have it reviewed along with your facts and expenses.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law for North Carolina on
Q: Can I sue the builder for removing my Lawn

Recently moved to a new house. The community is new and the builder just started work on the lot beside my house. He removed 18inch lawn from my property thinking that it belongs the other lot with out even asking me or checking the plot map. Can I sue the builder for what he has done? he said he... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 12, 2020

A North Carolina attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for four weeks. The decision to sue is yours to make. You mention wanting to take legal action, but your description mentions that the builder expressed a willingness to fix the damage. Depending on the dimensions of your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law and Consumer Law for North Carolina on
Q: My contractor is saying there is a law in NC for a 50% percent deposit for remodeling. Is this true?
Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman answered on Nov 5, 2020

There is no such law requiring a minimum 50% deposit. You will find the following information about hiring a contractor: (copy and paste the link into your browser).

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law for Texas on
Q: What is the minimum depth for cable burial in arkansas
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 5, 2020

An Arkansas attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for four weeks. At this point, you could try reaching out to a Professional Engineer in Arkansas or to the Civil Engineering departments of major Arkansas electric utility companies if you are asking about electrical cable, and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Construction Law for North Carolina on
Q: Hi, I entered into an agreement to purchase a modular with a stick built roof from a local GC. They initially requested

They requested a deposit of $1000 and in the agreement it says I agree to buy a home. The salesman told me this locks in my material costs for 30days. I hadn't closed on my existing home sale at the time and he told me not to worry everything would get going within 30 days. Lender he... Read more »

David Allan King
David Allan King answered on Oct 28, 2020

It's difficult to say without doing a full consultation that includes reading the contract and getting more information. However, as a general matter, a successful breach of contract claim will include the cost of lost profits. This is because the court is trying to put the plaintiff in the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law for Iowa on
Q: Is there a law in Iowa called Line of Sight? If so, what options do we have if roofer didn’t adhere to Line of Sight?
Austin J Luse
Austin J Luse answered on Oct 28, 2020

While I have not personally dealt with this issue before, the State of Iowa does adhere to the Line of Sight rule.

Here's the relevant Iowa Code section for this issue:


b. When a loss requires replacement of items and the replaced items do not match in quality,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law, Real Estate Law, Construction Law and Lemon Law for Oregon on
Q: I purchased a 1971 mobile home in October 2019 October. I started having major problems right away

Roof leaking . Kitchen cabinets falling in. Bathroom plumbing backed up. Kitchen sink leaking which took 5 times to fix. Ceiling leaks in bedroom, bathroom, and smaller bedroom, and around the front door. I was told the house was worked on by professionals, yet when I tried to get information... Read more »

Theressa Hollis
Theressa Hollis answered on Oct 27, 2020

I recommend you contact the Oregon Dept. of Justice's Consumer Protection hotline at 503-378-4320 or toll-free in Oregon at 877-877-9392.

As you've learned, inspections should always be done before purchasing.

Because you are low income Legal Aid Services of Oregon may be...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law for Ohio on
Q: I hired a roofer to put a new roof & gutters on but 5 months later they are still not done.

I hired them in May and its the end of October and they have only 10 percent left to do. I have paid them 2/3 of the contract but I cant get them to come out and finished the job. they keep telling me they are really busy. Can I just not pay them the rest and hire someone else to finish or do I... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Oct 23, 2020

If you hire someone else to finish, the roofer can put a mechanic's lien on your house. That will make things messy. The roofer's contract might not have had all the required consumer protection terms, so if it went to court, the contract might be deemed invalid. If the roofer... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law for California on
Q: Home remodel went 70% over budget—and contract is fuzzy. Do we still owe our general contractor his 15% final payment?

Our G.C. said he could remodel and expand our small, 50-year-old Calif. home for $300,000 and complete in 8 months. After 11.5 months, we insisted on moving back in even though it was not completed. Total cost for labor/materials so far has been around $470,000. Due to the delays, we had to pay an... Read more »

George W. Wolff Esq.
George W. Wolff Esq. answered on Oct 21, 2020

Home Improvement Contracts are required to be in writing and for a fixed price, have a fixed completion date and have certain other requirements.

Have an experienced Construction...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Real Estate Law, Constitutional Law and Construction Law for Alabama on
Q: Is there any federal law that will help someone fight an adverse possession on a 6 foot fence being built on a 400 foot

On a 400 foot track of land inside the city limits. The person that is the trespassor s. Has had the business. For 42 years and the person that ownes the surveyed land has only had it for 4 years.

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Oct 19, 2020

There is no Federal Law which will control here. And the adjoining landowners have probably acquiesced to the fence being the boundary line irrespective of deed legal descriptions. You can sue for a boundary dispute, but you will probably lose irrespective of your survey evidence.

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law for Florida on
Q: Who is liable for pool access safety when the contractor fills the pool but construction is not finished?
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Oct 8, 2020

Both the contactor and the homeowner are potentially liable.

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law and Land Use & Zoning for Alabama on
Q: someone is building a houseing develment behind my house on a hill they put in a retainer pond that runs off in my yard

what can i do about that ?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 6, 2020

An Alabama attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for four weeks. The manner in which surface water run-off is treated under the law can differ throughout the nation, depending jurisdiction. It could be governed by common law doctrine, state law, or possibility municipal and... Read more »

Q: I want to avoid having the trees that separate my yard and my neighbor's yard cut down or removed. Is there a way?

They've been there for well over 50 years now and they provide shade and privacy for our yard. We haven't had any issues until new city folk came in and started disturbing land and removing things around the tree line. I just want to keep the trees.

Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran answered on Oct 6, 2020

It depends on whose side of the line the trees are on. If the trees are on their property, they can remove them, and there is nothing you can do about it. If the trees are on your property, then they are not allowed to interfere with your property.

If you have any questions about where the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law, Construction Law, Consumer Law and Small Claims for California on
Q: I am a homeowner in Ca I hired a contractor to do painting around the house. I am I in my rights to fire the contractor.

I hired the contactor to do painting around the house. The job is not being done correctly or at all.

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Oct 5, 2020

You have the right to terminate any contract at any time for any reason BUT you cannot terminate all contracts without penalty. Meaning, if you terminate the contract without "good cause" you may have to pay the other party some damages. Now you say that they are not doing it... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Construction Law for California on
Q: My home has been under construction for 3 years because my contractor has delayed and works very minimally. What do I do

It was demo’d for a whole year and a half to the point where water was leaking in the existing portion. He keeps asking for money and changing the agreement. We are way over budget and now we are waiting for the inspector. The permit is potentially expired so he would have to renew. He framed... Read more »

George W. Wolff Esq.
George W. Wolff Esq. answered on Oct 3, 2020

It seems you may not have a very good contractor, and he may not have the best skills.

Does your contract have a firm completion date?

Have you made changes to the contract since it was signed?

You should consult with an experienced construction attorney.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation and Construction Law for Illinois on
Q: I don't have worker comp. I use sub. how can I put the responsibility on sub if anything happens to its laborer?

as a contractor, I do not have worker compensation insurance. I hire people to do the job. how can I protect myself from job site injuries happening to any of the laborers.

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano answered on Sep 28, 2020

Easy. You require that any Sub provide proof of WC insurance BEFORE you agree to do business with them and keep a copy on file. This does not mean that you MAY be on the hook if the Sub's WC coverage lapses and someone is injured. It's the best you can do.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Construction Law and Consumer Law for Ohio on
Q: Hello, I recently had a drain field re dug in my septic system. The cost was $5500.

Within a few months the same issue began. We contacted the company who performed the initial work and through numerous attempts and 8 missed appointments on the company's end, the issue is still not fixed and our renters are threatening to move out. Additionally, the septic company instructed... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Sep 28, 2020

You can sue the contractor in small claims court up to $6000. Check your local court for the form to file. But you must present proof that the work was not done properly, so have another contractor inspect and provide a written quote for repairs. Or use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law and Construction Law for Florida on
Q: How long do I have to return a customers deposit. I've had a stroke (cause for delay). Is it criminal?

Its been a few months and now the customer has threatened to involve police. Is there a procedure they have to follow that could protect me? I want to return their funds but they no longer respond to me. Not sure if i should Venmo or zelle back their funds.. Should I send their money to them,... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Sep 27, 2020

No, it's not criminal. Send them a check by certified mail.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Construction Law and Products Liability for West Virginia on
Q: What to do when fire department destroys my bridge to my house, leaving me stranded

The fire department recently came to drain the fire hydrant at my house, while coming across my bridge it collapsed. There is no way for me to leave my house now as that was the only way. It’s going on the third day The fire department said they turned it into their insurance but I haven’t... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 26, 2020

A West Virginia attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for five weeks. Hopefully, you've resolved the matter by now. If not, ask them if they could offer the insurance carrier's information to see if the matter could be expedited. If it was a private bridge, you could... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.