Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Washington Contracts Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Contracts for Washington on
Q: Can I sue for rat and carpenter ant infestation of a trailer I paid to store on someone's property?

I stored my trailer at a place after responding to a craigslist post offering his property for storage. After 3 years, he randomly text me and asked me to move it by the end of the week. I ended up having my sister tow it for me because I was out of town. When I got home and looked at it, you could... Read more »

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Jan 24, 2019

These sound like natural hazards caused by your own neglect of your property and possibly any openings/ leaks in your trailer rather than any fault of the property owner, unless he specifically agreed to maintain the cleanliness of the inside of your trailer. His text re: the condition of your... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Copyright and Products Liability for Washington on
Q: How do I go about looking into a idea I have that's related to bail bonds and something I want to possibly invent safely

I have a idea that would be something you can pay into with a bailbonds company and want to look in to making this idea work if its possible and so how would I do that without getting my idea stolen but I don't have much money and don't really have any to put into this project I think its... Read more »

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Jan 24, 2019

Local law libraries provide ample self-help resources re: Intellectual Property and Business law. Typically a Non Disclosure Agreement is a great tool to help prevent disclosure of confidential information re: your ideas. You might need to ultimately file for a copyright, trademark, and/or patent,... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Domestic Violence, Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Washington on
Q: My ex fiance and I signed a year lease in October he got worse with angry issues & verbal/emotional abuse. I need off.

What can I do to get off lease without penalties?

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Dec 24, 2018

While you may be held liable for your duties under the lease, if you leave the home to protect yourself from actual domestic violence, and if your ex doesn't pay the lease in full and on time, your landlord might pursue both of you in court for breach of contract and any owed monies (or your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Washington on
Q: We purchased a 57 acre farm solely for farm use. Neighbor across the street states she has an easement.

Seller provided a notarized statement regarding the entire property being farm use only. No documentation anywhere to be found prior to sale of property regarding any easements. Deed received after occupancy of home states there is indeed an easement. The date is also signed by the seller stating... Read more »

Brent Bowden
Brent Bowden answered on Apr 17, 2018

Usually easements and other issues like that are discovered and disclosed as part of the title search and title insurance process. Did you get title insurance? If you did, and if the title insurance missed the easement for some reason, they may compensate you. Your insurance company may also try to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Contracts, Copyright and Internet Law for Washington on
Q: I bought some sticker logos legally on line. If I apply these logos to hats, can I then sell the logoed hats on ebay?
Barbara Berschler
Barbara Berschler answered on Sep 2, 2017

Do you intend to apply the actual logo stickers that you bought? In copyright, there is the First Sale Doctrine that provides that if a person buys an object having copyright protected material, the buyer can do what they want with the object. For example for a book, you could give it away or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Contracts, Family Law and Education Law for Washington on
Q: is there a law that daycare centers MUST prorate for days the child misses it they are there full time?

My sons dad is trying to get out of paying for daycare unless they prorate cuz he misses 5 days. He is now 2 months behind in daycare.

Ryan Ford
Ryan Ford answered on Aug 3, 2017

There's no law that I'm aware of. You look at the terms of the contract you signed and agreed to. If the contract says prorate, you prorate. If the contract says it's a fixed rate regardless of days missed, you pay in full. If the contract is silent, there's a decent... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Washington on
Q: In Seattle, WA, is marijuana a "controlled substance"?

In my lease agreement: "Tenant and/or Tenant's guests will not use, allow use, purchase, sell, or possess any controlled substance or drug paraphernalia ... [or firearms] ... on or near the premises." Since marijuana is legal in Washington state, would it still count as a... Read more »

Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson answered on May 23, 2017

Legally, yes; marijuana is still a controlled substance. And paraphernalia can be just about anything used to ingest or store drugs (the definition is: all equipment, products, and materials of any kind which are used, intended for use, or designed for use in planting, propagating, cultivating,... Read more »

Q: Would a current Land Patent from 1865, supersede the 1969 Clark, WA, code regulation regarding land use in a flood way ?

I have 2.5 acre along the Lewis River, I have mineral rights and an updated Land Patent from the Oregon Land Grant act.

A structure was built in 1968, one year before Clark County WA code development existed. The structure was removed in October 1997, because of a flood caused by the 3 dams... Read more »

Walker Weitzel
Walker Weitzel answered on Apr 25, 2017

A land patent is the highest proof of title over land. It is extremely authoritative. With that said, the laws of the jurisdiction will dictate your ability to use and develop the property. Ownership is only a piece of the puzzle. Your rights to improve the property are still subject to Oregon law.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Civil Litigation, Collections and Legal Malpractice for Washington on
Q: Have make payment on the 1st . It falls on the weekend they're closed next Day now want to charge me interest ,legal?

They called me before the due date saying pay today , becuase were closed on the weekend and also that Monday . So if you pay Tuesday you will be charged interest . I'm essentially being forced to pay interest . Is this legal ? I feel I was entrapped into making the interest payment . They are... Read more »

Jeffrey Michael Haber
Jeffrey Michael Haber answered on Jan 6, 2017

As a general matter, due dates that fall on a weekend or holiday get pushed to the next business day. However, there is not enough information to know whether this applies to your situation. Your summary does not explain the context in which the money is owed, and whether there is an agreement... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Consumer Law and Contracts for Washington on
Q: I am being spammed by a multi billion dollar company based in Seattle.

I was once associated with this company, about a year ago.

And I used to make money with them. But later on they ended my contract and refrained from paying any dues. I lost a considerable amount under breach of contract. I am/was ok with that.

I was financially very weak then and... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 17, 2016

Consult a commercial law attorney.

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts and Small Claims for Washington on
Q: I hired a mover to move me from OR to WA. He disappeared and took my $600 deposit. Where can I file a lawsuit?

I was talking to the guy daily right up until the night before the move. Morning of the move he ghosted on me. For two weeks he ignored many calls and texts until I threatened legal action. I also wrote an honest (bad) review of his business online and now he's pissed, and threatening to not... Read more »

Marjorie Simmons
Marjorie Simmons answered on Sep 13, 2016

How vexing an experience for you that must be. You'll want to read the UTC's page on movers at: Movers must be licensed. Call them to make a complaint at 888-333-WUTC (9882) and see their moving publications at... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Washington on
Q: I was ask to clean a truck on Craigslist and he sent me the money ahead of time but when I went to get truck it was big

Then I expected and didn't have any tags on it at all and I drove the truck to walmart and it stalled there and wouldn't restart am I responsible for the truck and do I have to give him the money back

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Oct 27, 2015

You drove a very big truck without permission and probably without the proper license. You did not clean the truck yet?

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Washington on
Q: I did not get paid for a job I did how long before I can sue

I got hired by one private contractors as a private contractor for another company ( venue smart ) they have not paid me the keep telling me new days that they will pay me . The keep pushing it back . Who do I sue and when

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Oct 22, 2015

See how much it costs to file suit and have them served. Does the contract you have state that attorney's fees are awardable? Are you able to perfect a construction lien? It is time to learn about these things.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Washington on
Q: Must I disclose the fact that I'm a real estate agent to the people we rent our home to?
Zaher Fallahi
Zaher Fallahi answered on Dec 4, 2013

I am not aware of such a law and I doubt there may be one. Because, there is no potential legal obligation for such disclosure. I don't believe your position will create a special duty. Most likely you will be aware of the most landlord-tenant law; warranty of habitability.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Washington on
Q: Unwilling to return our service dog after verbal agreement.
Charles Snyderman
Charles Snyderman answered on Jan 27, 2013

Who has your service dog, and what was the verbal agreement about?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.