Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Identity Theft legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Illinois Identity Theft Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft and Civil Rights for Illinois on
Q: How to stop family from harassing me off a remote neural monitoring system placed in my body 24/7. Threats, identity etc

Just wondering how to seek real help on people harassing me before I end up doing something to one of them for constantly bothering me 24/7....they stole my identity they kmow my social security number,bank account email, and password, code to things if i get a job amd password noy to be known by... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jan 7, 2024

If you believe you are a victim of identity theft and harassment, it's crucial to take immediate action. First, report the identity theft to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at This website also provides a recovery plan and steps to help protect your identity.... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft and Real Estate Law for Illinois on
Q: Someone applied for a home equity loan using my name and a previous address (rented, not owned). What is my recourse?

Bank canceled submission due to fraud. Can I attempt to collect damages from this person trying to use my credit standing for their benefit?

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Dec 11, 2023

You can sue for a property tort, fraud, identity fraud , etc., but collecting a judgment will be difficult. Consult with an IL attorney, but research everything available about your defendant first.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Support and Identity Theft for Illinois on
Q: I need a legal lawyer regarding a child support order that wasn't legal and identity thief by my deceased father .

My ex wife who had 2 children by my biological father and I left Illinois with a known address but wasn't notified and now the child in question ❓ is 45 with grandchildren and my ex is still receiving and I went to a court but they said they couldn't stop my social security benefits... View More

Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
answered on Nov 11, 2023

Let's try to uncomplicate these issues a little bit. Your ex wife had 2 kids with your father but was never married to him. He is now dead. Do I have this accurate so far? One of those children is 45 with grandchildren. Your ex is receiving what and why?

Identity theft. Get a...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights, Identity Theft and Land Use & Zoning for Illinois on
Q: First of all house. My house at 7229 South Harvard in Chicago they took me to court I w o n of my case a rule 23 return

The managers in the work program man have stole all my stuff then I got me to the other building they change my rent to $1,000 or $37,000 I they won't take me to court and I can't get nobody help me how to build a change my property my unit told me I wasn't the owner but they... View More

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
answered on Jun 23, 2022

Please read:

You must ask a coherent question or NOBODY can help you.

Reciting rambling facts with no syntax wastes your time and ours because it is unintelligible.

Never use proper names in an online post. Your question is supposed to be anonymous.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law, Divorce, Identity Theft and Small Claims for Illinois on
Q: Can I be forced to pay back the money my soon to be ex husband gave by court order when he filed joint tax return?

We are going through a nasty divorce which entails financial abuse, psychological abuse, mental abuse and sexual abuse. I told him and his then attorney (now fired or she quit, not sure which) that I was not going to file a joint tax return. I found out that he filed a joint return without my... View More

J. Richard Kulerski
J. Richard Kulerski
answered on Apr 14, 2021

Your question is difficult to answer because your husband could not have filed a joint return properly without obtaining your signature on the joint return.

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft and Securities Law for Illinois on
Q: SSN Fraud

Hi, good night I have a question and would like to know something about a problem with a friend, which is that a friend thinks of getting a fake SSN and green card for work purpose but he thinks of changing his name and birthday but he had a picture with a fake green card and I would like to know... View More

T. J. Jesky
T. J. Jesky
answered on Nov 17, 2020

First, I hope your friend is not you. Of course this is fraud. Yes, if caught this would adversely affect his immigration status. And, if this is really a friend, and not you, you may be an accomplice to this fraud. Don't do it!

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Collections and Identity Theft for Illinois on
Q: I'm a college student that had a Fake ID confiscated at a bar. Police want to charge me 350, can they?

They sent me mail June of 2019 saying I should pay where I said what are the next steps, then I did not hear from them again till 2 months ago where the officer said he put my papers in the wrong file. I honestly forgot about it and would have paid if they contacted me again but I didn't hear... View More

Juan Ooink
Juan Ooink
answered on Apr 21, 2020

Possessing a fake ID is a felony offense in Illinois. They do not have to prove that you bought it, just that it is fake and you possessed it. I suggest calling them and explaining to them, that you would have paid it if you heard back and that you are willing to pay the original fine amount.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Illinois on
Q: How can I have a parolee removed from my home?

Parolee is a family member who has /is not complying with conditions of parole and has engaged in criminal activity.

Juan Ooink
Juan Ooink
answered on Dec 3, 2019

You will have to proceed with an eviction. You may wan to consult an attorney that handles landlord/tenant matters.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for Illinois on
Q: If I hire a Chicago Criminal Law Attorney, can they dismiss a Case in North Carolina providing they are licensed there?
James G. Dimeas
James G. Dimeas
answered on Jun 29, 2018

As long as the lawyer is licensed to practice law in North Carolina, they can handle cases in North Carolina if they practice law in North Carolina.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Gov & Administrative Law and Identity Theft for Illinois on
Q: Can I sue the hospital that help falsified a government birth certificate document which now I'm paying child support

Plus i Know 100% the child is not my blood I get social security and I feel like I been munipulated and taken avantage of but I believe I have a strong case to win can I have the person who lied locked up for starters

Ray Choudhry
Ray Choudhry
answered on Oct 1, 2017

Need more info.

How did child support get implemented.

Is there a court order.

2 Answers | Asked in Domestic Violence, Family Law, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for Illinois on
Q: If I have a protective order against my husband with no visitation unless abated by the court.

The protective order continues to be broken and we are still being harassed aa year-and-a-laternd he has given up parental rights in writing to his lawyer. We also have a family member who has decided to join in and harass me and my kids to a point that is very unhealthy and I would like to get... View More

Ray Choudhry
Ray Choudhry
answered on Jul 19, 2017

Your story is too complicated for an easy answer.

You need a sit down with an attorney.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Consumer Law, Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Illinois on
Q: someone opened a checking account in my name without my permission, would this be something worth getting a lawyer for?

My friend who worked at a bank originally opened 2 checking accounts for me. I was there for the opening of these accounts. He then lied and put in the system that I make more money than I actually do so I would get approved for 2 lines of credit. He had my debit card and ended up taking the money... View More

Ray Choudhry
Ray Choudhry
answered on May 8, 2017

How could all of this be going on without you being aware of it.

Banks send monthly statements. Anyway, they don't honor checks if there is no money in the account.

Credit cards do the same thing. They send monthly statements and if you go over they refuse to honor charges....
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Illinois on
Q: If I am a victim of ID theft, can I be arrested if I go to my home state to request my criminal record?

My friend was charged with a felony drug charge in 1997 (and served her probation with no issues), and her "friend" then used her name during an arrest. My friend has been completely clean for 14 years now and wants to seal her criminal record. However, her last background check was done... View More

Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
answered on Nov 14, 2016

If she just wants a copy of her record, she can get it through the mail. She does not have to physically be present to get a copy of her record.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.