Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Alabama Consumer Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Real Estate Law for Alabama on
Q: I owned my house but had a $18,000 lean against it with a loan shark. After a year into repayment I was layed off from

my job and fell behind on the payments. I then went to a friend & employer to take over the loan for me until I could get back on my feet and pay him back. I went into a low office with me having no one there to represent me and was TRICKED into signing my property with the value of $90,000... Read more »

Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman answered on Feb 8, 2016

You need some legal help here. You are charged with reading what you signed. You say you were tricked? How? If you did sign the documents under duress maybe you have an out here. You must get a lawyer and sue to overturn the conveyance.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Education Law for Alabama on
Q: A contract for my child's school requires signature of both parents, but only my wife signed. Is the contract valid?

The contract says the full amount of tuition is still payable if we withdraw our children from the school during the year. Also, we know of multiple other families that have left the school without being required to fulfill their contract, even this year. Could they require us to fulfill our... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Nov 13, 2015

If your wife is the only one who signed it, she is probably the only one liable.

Yes, they can require her to pay without requiring others to do so.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Alabama on
Q: i ow 9,000 dollars in interest only have not been late or miss a payment in 4 years can the interest be terminated by lw
Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Nov 1, 2015

More facts are needed. Read the contract.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Alabama on
Q: I got some fundraiser cards from a pizza place I signed a paper to pay when sold can I be arrested if I don't pay

A lady selling for me didn't bring cards back or money.. Or do the just civil case for money owed?

Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki answered on Aug 3, 2015

Sounds like a civil matter but a local lawyer can go over the details of your situation to make sure.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is general information that is given for legal education only. It is not legal...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Alabama on
Q: I defaulted payment on credit cards in sept 2010. Its now 2015. Can credit buyers sue live in Alabama or is Sol in pl
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman answered on Jun 10, 2015

THere is a staute of limitation, but you are likely to be inside the 6 year statute of limitation on a contract matter. THere are a lot of other valid defenses in cases like this. THis is fact driven and you should get legal help here. If you can't afford a lawyer, Alabama Volunteer Lawyers... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.