Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Car Accidents Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Illinois on
Q: I hate a question about a car accident

My brother took my car without my permission and another car hit him on the eway. But my brother doesn’t have a license or ID so he ran because he was scared of going to jail. I don’t want to press charges on my brother at all but I want my car fixed. He was able to get a picture of her ID and... Read more »

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano answered on May 19, 2020

If you can prove that the accident was the fault of the other driver AND if she had insurance, her insurance will pay for your car.

If your brother lives with you and he is not on your policy, you had to expressly exclude him from coverage so your insurance will fight the claim. Even if...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for California on
Q: If my vehicle was involved in an accident and someone else uninsured was driving am I liable for damages

Basically want to know if the uninsured driver of my vehicle can be liable for damages and not me even though it was my vehicle involved

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on May 18, 2020

more info needed.

however, insurance goes with the car not the individual.........thus it was an insured accident.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Car Accidents and Civil Litigation for Florida on
Q: Do I file answer with all of my financials or call Morgan and Morgan and let them know I don’t own the car anymore?

Out of nowhere while visiting with family the other day, I was served with a summons for a vehicle crash my ex wife was involved in. Shocking as I moved several states away a couple months ago and was back in town at extended family’s residence visiting for the weekend and BBQ. We are divorced... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 18, 2020

DO NOT CALL MORGAN & MORGAN. There are more than enough scary facts presented here to warrant you looking for and hiring a lawyer right away. It appears that the crash report identifying you as the owner is the main cause for concern; however, people being sued under the theory of vicarious... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Criminal Law for Texas on
Q: How long can cops hold your items as evidence after i got in a wreck they found a bag with 2000$ and two suboxone strips

If charged and not charged with a crime

Grant St Julian III
Grant St Julian III answered on May 18, 2020

Police can retain evidence until the statute of limitations has expired for a given offense (assuming criminal charges are not filed). This time frame varies depending on the offense, but the minimum time is 2 years from the date of the alleged incident. Calling a lawyer may help. Good luck.

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Personal Injury and Criminal Law for Texas on
Q: Is is it legal for an officer to use their vehicle to stop a motorcycle from fleeing?

A few years back there was a cop who slammed into my brother in order to keep him from getting away. My brother didnt file a lawsuit because he was afraid they would keep him incarcerated longer. But now he suffers from really bad headaches and was recently diagnosed with arthritis in his neck and... Read more »

Hon. Richard W. B. Davis
Hon. Richard W. B. Davis answered on May 17, 2020

In Texas, it is lawful for police officers to use their vehicle to block an evading vehicle. In fact, sometimes they lay down “stop strips” in the road to pop the tires of evading vehicles.

Regarding your brother’s injuries, if it happened more than two years ago, there’s probably...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for North Carolina on
Q: What happens when you get into an accident without insurance due to a contract dispute?

I’m now getting a letter saying if I don’t respond within 30 days they will mail me a judgement.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 16, 2020

This is something a North Carolina attorney should advise on, but your post remains open for two weeks and the clock is ticking on your window for a timely response/appearance. It isn't fully clear what the contract dispute means (dispute with your carrier as to policy being in effect,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for Massachusetts on
Q: Is it illegal to keep a license plate that isn't yours? My friend found one. (They aren't going to use it to drive.)

They found a license plate on the side of the road and they want to display it in their room. Again, my friend isn't going to drive with it, they just want to use it as a decoration. I'm in Massachusetts if that's any help. (02191 is my zip)

Dakota Martin
Dakota Martin answered on May 15, 2020

Finder's keepers, loser's weepers. The law is clear from Missouri to Massachusetts, Texas to Tennessee,

No, your "friend" has no duty to turn it in.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Tennessee on
Q: Can I be cited for leaving the scene on private property. While parking damage occurred at minimal.

Unable to contact other party as they were inside at work and I do not know the individual. I left at the end of my shift. A officer called me 6 days later to speak with me and cited me

Brandon D. Fersten
Brandon D. Fersten answered on May 14, 2020

In short, yes. Leaving the scene of the accident with damage to another vehicle that appears to be less than $1,500 is a Class B Misdemeanor. A Class B Misdemeanor carries a maximum jail time of 6 months and fines up to $500. The court in addition to or in lieu of those penalties can require you to... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for Illinois on
Q: If you back into someone in a parking lot with a car that you do not have insurance for are you held reliable for damage

I know this sounds like a simple question but what if have insurance for your own vehicle. can that insurance pay for the damages.

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano answered on May 14, 2020

It depends on many factors. On the one hand, you cannot own 4 cars, insure only one, and expect that you are covered for all four. The insurance company would cry "fraud." On the other hand, if the uninsured car belonged to someone else, and you do not drive it regularly, the damage to... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Tennessee on
Q: The buyer made the accident when I have a contract of sale between me and him before two days of accident

I have contract of sale between me and him before two days of accident that he got

The safety and home land security send to me notice of proposed revocation, please advise me what to do

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on May 12, 2020

If you did not carry liability insurance on the vehicle you sold, then you have a problem. Hire a competent attorney to immediately request a hearing before the Department of Safety. You may be able to submit a Bond or other requirements to keep your TNDL.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and DUI / DWI for Arizona on
Q: Crashed my car by falling asleep cop charged me with a DUI for failing the suberiaty test.

I failed due to not walking straight said officer but had foot surgery while back so hard to put full pressure on it. I plead the 5th after that and was arrested. The other officer searched my car without my permission and found a pipe what do I do

Michelle Villanueva Skura
Michelle Villanueva Skura answered on May 10, 2020

You were correct to plead the 5th, many people fail to assert their right to remain silent.

Unfortunately the court will usually find the search to be lawful since it will be considered a "Search Incident to Arrest". You will most likely be charged with a drug DUI due to the...
Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for Georgia on
Q: I was hit from behind by a lady claims to be a minister in the middle of prayer meeting call on her phone what can I do

She ran me down at a red light she claimed she was having a very serious prayer meeting over her Bluetooth, I looked in the rearview mirror and saw both her hands in the air trying to catch the phone before she hit me so it was not Bluetooth she was holding her phone, now she is saying this... Read more »

Walter Gabriel
Walter Gabriel answered on May 9, 2020

What happened in the traffic court hearing does not necessarily carry over into your personal injury claim. Technically the traffic court judge didn't declare you "innocent." Instead you were found "not guilty" of the citation as charged. It may sound like a technicality,... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Arkansas on
Q: I was in an accident and the officer gave me a criminal citation: failure to yield with injury. What is the punishment?

Fort smith PD issued the citation and said I need to appear at Fort Smith District Court.

Under the “offenses” box, the officer checked off “criminal” and not “traffic”.

Failure to yield with injury 27-51-601

Could I get jail time?

Don Spears
Don Spears answered on May 9, 2020

Generally they just fine you and order restitution. Your insurance company will pick up the claim but you must also file an sr 21 notice.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Car Accidents for California on
Q: I need help with my injury case that was poorly mismanaged.

I was in a car accident in Feb 2018, and my settlement is coming to a close. My case was very poorly managed by my first case manager who no longer works at the law firm.

1.) My case was poorly managed to the point that it was negatively affected.

2.) My lawyer was absent from... Read more »

Samuel J Pope
Samuel J Pope answered on May 8, 2020

It's not entirely clear to me if your case has been settled yet, or not. If it has already settled and all that is left to do is to agree to the language in the release and sign it - at that point it will be difficult, likely impossible, to renegotiate the settlement.

You can...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for California on
Q: I was rear ended while vehicle was broken down and failed breathalyzer can I get damage cost from vehicle that hit me

Should I report it to my insurance without the dui jeopardizing me

William John Light
William John Light answered on May 8, 2020

Whether and what to extent the other party is obligated to compensate your property damage depends on the facts and circumstances of the collision, which we don't know. Did you pull off the road completely? Did you turn on your flashing hazard lights? Did you attempt to warn oncoming... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Civil Litigation and Personal Injury for Texas on
Q: I was rearended in another state (I moved to TX in Dec). After going thru litigation my attorney withdrew from the case.


He filed the motion to withdraw within 30 days when I asked for more time.

The motion to withdraw date was March of this year and nobody in their right mind was traveling, I was def not going to get on an airplane and go back to that state during early February and into... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 7, 2020

As a general matter, attorneys can withdraw from a case and clients can dismiss their attorneys. One option you could explore is to obtain digital copies of your records and see what you could learn or accomplish in contacting other attorneys. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Tennessee on
Q: Can I be cited for leaving the scene on private property while parking damage occurred n could contact other party

Also remained at work for the day...I could not contact other party. Ticket was issued to me 6 days later

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on May 7, 2020

You could have been arrested. You need to make full Restitution now. You cannot contact the Victim however. A lawyer would be helpful. Try to get it Diverted, Dismissed and Expunged.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for California on
Q: Car accident no insurance can’t afford to fix it and it’s building up storage fees what do I do?

Hi i have a question I got into a car accident awhile back with no insurance I can’t afford the repair cost to fix the car. The car has been sitting in a lot for awhile now and accumulated a lot of storage fees and I can’t afford them. I read online that the finance company won’t take back... Read more »

William John Light
William John Light answered on May 7, 2020

You are responsible to pay your loan and to pay storage fees. If you can't afford the storage fees, the car will eventually be auctioned by the lot to pay the fees. You might still owe any remaining balance. You will also still owe on your loan. If you can't afford that, you might... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Maryland on
Q: does Maryland have to pay replacement cost if a vehicle is a total loss?
Eric Todd Kirk
Eric Todd Kirk answered on May 7, 2020

You should check your policy language, but the standard measure of damage would be the fair market value of the property, not the cost to replace the property with a new model.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Indiana on
Q: I was pulled over and arrested in illinois. They towed my car and I went to jail. There is a article 36 hold on it.

When will I know if they are seizing it

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano answered on May 7, 2020

The words may be getting in the way. The police already HAVE seized your car pursuant to Article 36 which is a statute in the Illinois Criminal Code, found at 720 ILCS 5/36-1. The State will now begin the process of asset forfeiture. If you make a demand for trial, the State must be able to... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.