Energy, Oil and Gas Q&A by State

Your current state is Virginia

Show More States »

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Energy, Oil and Gas Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Energy, Oil and Gas for Oklahoma on

Q: My husband thinks he needs a lawyer regarding oil larceny charges. He’s been used and fired in all this. We need help

Keegan Kelley Harroz answered on Mar 4, 2019

Your husband is correct. He needs to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas on

Q: received settlement check from Computershare/KCC--- reference Plummer/Pyles vsNicor settlement is this a valid check?

Tim Akpinar answered on Feb 24, 2019

Contact the issuer to confirm; it sounds like it might be a settlement check from the Nicor Energy Services Company class action lawsuit.

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Energy, Oil and Gas and Real Estate Law for Michigan on

Q: My apartment company called me saying they paid a utility bill from an electric company that I don't use. What do I do?

I use electric company A ever since I moved into the apartment and was required to get it in my name. Now, 4 months into living here I get contacted by the company saying they paid a bill from company B and want me to pay them back. I have never used company B, didn't sign up or anything. Why would... Read more »

David Soble answered on Feb 11, 2019

Sounds strange. I would want to see the invoices first before paying for the alleged invoices. I am not sure how two different utility companies can service your one residence unless one provides the gas and the other provides electric. Trust but verify.

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Florida on

Q: I own mineral rights in West Virginia doddridge county should I be collecting money

Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Feb 2, 2019

Is someone mining the minerals?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Employment Law and Energy, Oil and Gas for Louisiana on

Q: Is indecent behavior with juveniles considered aggravated sexual abuse in the state of Louisiana?

The conviction only involves section A (1).

Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Feb 2, 2019

More information needed.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Energy, Oil and Gas for Florida on

Q: If I post the bond for someone. And they do not sppear, may, I apprehend them myself but and hand them over to jail

In the state of Mississippi.

Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Jan 30, 2019

You should ask this in Justia › Ask a Lawyer › Mississippi › Criminal Law ›.

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Texas on

Q: I own mineral rights in West Texas we least are mineral rights to oxy oil 2017 we still have not received any royalties

They started production in 2017

Aimee Hess answered on Jan 24, 2019

First, you will need to be sure that the production is actually production from your mineral interests. Your lease may have been limited to certain depths and so the fact that there is a well in your area or even on your land that is producing is not necessarily determinative. Secondly, if your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Oklahoma on

Q: Do I have to give right a way for a pipeline for a oil company

Richard Winblad answered on Jan 9, 2019

This all depends on whether or not the property is being taken for eminent domain. If the company is a common carrier they may have this power. Eminent domain is often a condemnation for those who do not agree the the company's offer. Often companies offer a very low value.

If this is...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Energy, Oil and Gas for Texas on

Q: A oil company has broken the contract that we all signed. how can i get them to hold up to the agreement?

Aimee Hess answered on Jan 2, 2019

If an oil company has violated its agreement with you, it is possible that you can get a court order requiring them to fulfill their obligations under the contract. They may also be liable to you for damages. You will first need to have an oil and gas attorney review the contract and the facts that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Real Estate Law and Energy, Oil and Gas for Oklahoma on

Q: If judgement was in dads step brother cam we take him back to court

Dad died in 2000 and dads STEP BROTHER took us to court and because STEP BROTHER said how does anyone know we belong to are dad judgement was in his favor cause they wanted dna what can we do

Doak Willis answered on Dec 30, 2018

Your question is confusing. This appears to be a question concerning heirship and whether you can prove you were an heir of the deceased. You stated they wanted DNA evidence which a test can be taken but your facts don't address whether it was ordered or not and the results. You should make an... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Personal Injury and Energy, Oil and Gas for Texas on

Q: I was involved in truck wreck on Halloween evening 2018.

I was involved in truck wreck on Halloween evening 2018. I was driving my friends company vehicle when another driver failed to yield to right of way and stop sign and pulled out infront of us. I am an Independent contractor for a firm here in Odessa and have not been able to go back to work. I do... Read more »

Rahlita D. Thornton answered on Dec 6, 2018

You need to get right on it and begin investigation on the details of this accident. But, your delay in seeking medical treatment may devalue your case. We do handle these cases and can get you to a doctor asap. It does not matter that you do not have health insurance if the other responsible... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas and Family Law for Oklahoma on

Q: My grandmother with property and mineral rights in Oklahoma dies in Missouri without a will. My father (her son) is

also dead. My siblings and I want to sell mineral rights, but there are individuals who may or may not have a claim (out of wedlock birth). Do these individuals have a legal claim...must they take DNA test? What type attorney do we need to consult on these issues?

Richard Winblad answered on Nov 27, 2018

This is a fact relevant issue. Current Oklahoma law states: Section 215 - Inheritance by and from Illegitimate Child

For inheritance purposes, a child born out of wedlock stands in the same relation to his mother and her kindred, and she and her kindred to the child, as if that child had...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Texas on

Q: Hi i get 1 million dollars,1 million to oil lawyer say i back the money from oil comp.never get.

Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 17, 2018

It isn't fully clear what the question is here.

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Colorado on

Q: How do I find a lawyer to represent a land owner selling or leasing to a utility grade solar company?

Ashley Dean Powell answered on Nov 16, 2018

You may find attorneys advertising this particular expertise. Otherwise, you should look for real estate attorneys in your area. You could be proactive by finding the attorney now, or you can wait until you believe you have an offer/proposal from the solar company to then take with you to an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas, Estate Planning and Probate for Oklahoma on

Q: Oklahoma will not recognize "will" because it was never probated in Oklahoma.

Grandmother died in Oklahoma in 1980, had a will. All known assets were held in "joint tenancy" with her surviving daughter. In 2014, unknown minerals in OK were found. Oil company remitted force-pooled bonus consideration to OK. OK demands a probated will for an estate of virtually $0. Bonus is... Read more »

Richard Winblad answered on Nov 8, 2018

If funds are with the unclaimed property division & the total value is under $10k you may be able to use their affidavit process. But keep in mind that once production begins there oil company will probably make probate a title requirement before they release royalty payments.

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Oklahoma on

Q: I am a court appointed guardian. Can I lease mineral rights for oil n gas without getting a judge to sign off on it?

Richard Winblad answered on Oct 17, 2018


Oklahoma Statutes Citationized

Title 30. Guardian and Ward

Oklahoma Guardianship and Conservatorship Act

Sale of Property

Article Article IV - Miscellaneous Provisions

Section 4-759 - Personal Representatives May Sell Oil, Gas and Mining Leases...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas and Environmental for Texas on

Q: I am pretty sure a nearby company is polluting my well water. What are my next steps?

Aimee Hess answered on Oct 15, 2018

This is not something you can do on your own. You will need to contact an attorney who specializes in these kinds of claims. They will retain engineering experts to investigate the causal connection between the nearby company and your water well. The experts will test your water and attempt to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Illinois on

Q: Is gas stove with standing pilot light legal? No electric start, pilot light keeps going out leaking gas.

I am afraid to leave my dogs home alone. Carbon Monoxide detector doesn't go off. Even if it did who would notice. I just want the stove removed and a safe one in its place. I rent.

T. J. Jesky answered on Sep 8, 2018

Some gas appliances have a standing pilot light, i.e. a small flame that burns continuously, used to light the main burner gas. Should the pilot light flame go out, most appliances have a safety that will stop the flow of gas to both the main burner and the pilot. These appliances are known as... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Energy, Oil and Gas for New York on

Q: Since the solar company has not placed the solar system in service, can I cancel the agreement?

I told the solar company's rep. that I would not do a contract, to lease the solar system, if the company will put a lien against my house. The rep. informed me the company wouldn't put a lien against my house. My contract states the company, or its affiliates won't apply a lien to the title of my... Read more »

Michael David Siegel answered on Aug 31, 2018

If they installed the system, they are not going to let you terminate the contract. News 12 just did a report on this. The UCC is not a lien on the whole house, just the solar system. The problem is that some banks do not know how to read it so it is an issue on refinance.

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Texas on

Q: Would it be acceptable for us to record a "Memorandum of Option To Exercise Oil, Gas, & Mineral Lease?" Thanks!

We thought it would be best to get it on record, but wish to keep the terms confidential. What do you think?

Aimee Hess answered on Aug 9, 2018

Filing a memorandum in the county deed records is certainly used to give notice of an agreement without disclosing the precise terms. However, before you do that, have an oil and gas attorney review the option itself, as well as take a look a Texas court decisions, to make sure you are not going to... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.