Native American Law Q&A by State

Your current state is Virginia

Show More States »

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Native American Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Native American Law for North Carolina on
Q: Can a USA citizenship have 2 more citizenship and passports other then the American one?

Hi, I am Brazilian and I'm about to receive the USA citizenship, so I'll be citizen in 2 Countries, Brazil and USA, and of course, I'll have the both passports. Besides that, I just realized that if I want I'm able to request the Portuguese citizenship and the portugueses... Read more »

Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga answered on Oct 9, 2019

As far as the US is concerned you can carry a US passport and that of another country. You will need to see what the Brazilian position on the matter is.

Q: I live I north carolina my daughters boyfriend grandmother bout here a cell phone she will not give it to me what's my
Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn answered on Sep 27, 2019

I am sorry, this is not a patent law question. Perhaps you thought the category was paRents instead of paTents.

Good luck in resolving your situation.

Kevin E Flynn

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Government Contracts, Libel & Slander and Native American Law for California on
Q: I wanted to know what I can do about TANF in pala Ca.? They have stressed me to the point of being ill and depressed.

I have proof that they mistreated me and recordings, I know that they have a personal vendetta with me.

Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on Sep 10, 2019

You have to provide a lot more detail in order to get decent legal advice. This is probably not the best forum for getting an answer for you. Contact the County Bar Association in the county in which the local office of TANF is located, and ask for a civil rights attorney referral. The initial... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, Family Law and Native American Law for California on
Q: My mother is a immigrant And we are scared about her getting arrested by ice.

My mother has lived here for 20+ years . She came from Mexico to flee crime and for a better life . We live in California and she has 3 kids that were born here. She doesn’t have a criminal record. She has a stable job and has never been arrested or pulled over by the law. All this news with the... Read more »

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler answered on Jul 4, 2019

The alleged plan is to look for people with final deportation orders, but incidental to a search, ICE may find others, ask questions and consider whether to detain, release and serve a notice to appear in immigration court.

It can help to review your situation and hers, but it is unclear...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Native American Law for Oklahoma on
Q: What would be a reason we are still in emergency temporary guardianship 16 months later?

We have had guardianship of our granddaughter since birth. Its been 16 months and our hearings keep getting continued. We have asked that a motion be filed for permanent guardianship but we get told "no we dont want to do that we are going for guardianship". Isnt a law that after 6 months... Read more »

Hans Otto Lehr
Hans Otto Lehr answered on Jun 28, 2019

There are several different reasons why an "emergency" guardianship may be continued, and they are all very fact-specific and case-specific. It is not uncommon for different Judges in different counties to handle how they continue "emergencies."

As to your second point,...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Native American Law for California on
Q: I'm an American Indian born in Canada trying to obtain a Permanent Resident Card to live and work in the United States.

I'm an American Indian born in Canada trying to obtain a Permanent Resident Card to live and work in the United States. I have a confirmation of registration letter from Indian Affairs to prove I am status indian. I want to know what other steps I need to take to become a citizen?

Scott E Beemer
Scott E Beemer answered on Jun 11, 2019


American Indians born in Canada (with at least 50% American Indian blood) cannot be denied admission to the United States. However, a record of admission for permanent residence will be created if an American Indian born in Canada wishes to reside permanently in the United States....
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Native American Law for California on
Q: I was notified I was fired from my position at Tribal TANF program for whistleblowing, while on bereavement leave.

I am a director of a Tribal TANF program. Two days ago, a council meeting happened to discuss how to terminate me. ( I will disclose the detail offline) I also am aware of that at least two of the Council members, and the Deputy Director met before the meeting to attempt to use this information to... Read more »

Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen answered on Jun 1, 2019

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, the laws of California and the federal government likely will not apply to your situation. Rather, the laws of the tribal nation where the business is located would be those that will apply to you, and only someone with specific knowledge of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Native American Law for New Mexico on
Q: Can a judge accept a finding of fact from one party and deny the same finding of fact from another party?

Our lawyers filed similar if not exact same findings of facts for our CYFD case, and he accepted some on mine and denied the same ones on his, and vice versa. Our lawyers are out of the office, so we can't ask them yet, but can the judge allow a fact from my finding and deny the same fact on... Read more »

Scott E Beemer
Scott E Beemer answered on Apr 26, 2019


Unfortunately, you have stated you are represented by counsel and it would therefore be unethical to comment as per ABA Rule 4.2.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Civil Rights, Landlord - Tenant and Native American Law for California on
Q: disabled person who hired a paralegal who wasn't really a paralegal come to find out, she lied to me

all the paperwork she did was wrong she missed a court date for a demurrer. My friend paid her 2k cause I have 0 money and now I don't know what to do about this matter. The court granted the request of the demurrer and I have no clue what just happened. Per the ADA I can ask for a special... Read more »

Manuel Alzamora Juarez
Manuel Alzamora Juarez answered on Mar 15, 2019

It is always a good idea to get references when hiring a paralegal. I believe you need to hire an attorney. A Paralegal is not allowed to practice law. Sorry you were taken. You have not stated what type of case it is , so no one can answer this or give you advice. Best of luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Native American Law for New Mexico on
Q: Acoma Pueblo is a sovereign nation. So cyfd and Acoma Pueblo are Collaborated and cyfd took custody of my children. But

We domicile on the Acoma Pueblo . So who has the jurisdiction of this case? We have went to court adjudicatory hearing and cyfd attorney had to do a continuance on this hearing 3 times already. To my knowledge cyfd should have already transferred or gave the Tribal courts jurisdiction, over my... Read more »

Scott E Beemer
Scott E Beemer answered on Feb 28, 2019


I am sorry to hear of your situation.

Dealing with a State Agency on Tribal Lands can be a complex situation. Today many tribes have entered into Intergovernmental Agreements (IGA) with the Children, Youth and Families Department (CYFD) of the State as it pertains to the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Support and Native American Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Is there any way to find documentation for a paternity test that was done in the early 90's for Child support?

I'm needing to prove that my dad is my dad. He wasnt on my original birth certificate but later did a paternity test for child support. We need a court ordered DNA test (which is my 2nd option) so I can apply for a cdib card if I cant locate this info. It seems to have been lost over the years... Read more »

Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden answered on Feb 17, 2019

You can get a copy of the child support order from the court clerk.

1 Answer | Asked in Native American Law for Maryland on
Q: Is the removal of the indians from their land legal or illegal based on their agreements
Scott E Beemer
Scott E Beemer answered on Feb 14, 2019


Unfortunately, this is an overly broad question to answer. There is much more information needed to accurately address your inquiry. Which Nation, tribe and agreement (i.e. Indian Removal Act of 1830 by President Andrew Jackson and the Five Nations)? What era (Presidents Washington,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes, Personal Injury, Car Accidents and Native American Law for Washington on
Q: Are GOV vehicles registered to a tribe required to have insurance if driven off the reservation?

23 year old tribal member involved in accident off the reservation. No insurance, but is a GOV truck registered to the tribe. Who is held liable, non-insured driver or the tribe that's the registered owner?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 23, 2019

Generally both. Tribal law governs on tribal land. Take the vehicle outside the rez or national boundary, then the state law applies. However tribe should have some type of umbrella policy.

1 Answer | Asked in Native American Law for New Mexico on
Q: Ok my children got taken away from us by CYFD. And we live on reservation right. So so who takes jurisdiction?

And could this case be dismissed if the tribe and CYFD didnt follow procedure?

Scott E Beemer
Scott E Beemer answered on Jan 22, 2019


I am sorry to hear of your situation.

In New Mexico the following tribes have agreements with CYFD:

Mescalero Apache

Navajo Nation

Pueblo of Jemez

Pueblo of Tesuque

Therefore, if you are a member of these tribes CYFD will have...
Read more »

Q: What is the monety amou t required bond or surety for a city manager


Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 31, 2018

You could try reposting this question and including Municipal Law under your categories. It might have a better chance of being picked up there.

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Civil Rights and Native American Law for Illinois on
Q: Could I sue someone for using a logo that's part of my religion

Logo is demeaning to my Race. A misuse of it's sole purpose and descrimnates my heritage and culture as a Native American

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Oct 21, 2018

You can sue for anything. Whether it will be a viable suit or have any legal merit is another thing.

Sounds like you want to sue the Washington Redskins. Read (google) all the articles. Do you think there is a reason no one else is suing?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights and Native American Law for California on
Q: We are now ha the jurisdictional level in the Indian Bureau has not been made aware that my daughter is possibly Indians

We are now at the jurisdictional level and had it not been for me bringing it up once again the Indian Bureau has yet to be notified up until the 18th of this month about my daughter and possible Navajo Indian is that a violation of her due process rights? And what can I do and can I appeal a... Read more »

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Sep 27, 2018

Hire a lawyer familiar with Navajo law

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Native American Law for New York on
Q: Hello I am a concerned father,my son was convicted at trial for a case he never knew nothing about and lost at trial

We obtain private legal representation and they never came to see my son.he just got sentence to 10yrs and has no record the attorneys were inaffected

Aubrey Claudius Galloway
Aubrey Claudius Galloway answered on Jul 18, 2018

This seems like a miscarriage of justice to me; of course, I would need to read the trial transcript and speak to all necessary parties, but I hope you guys are filed a notice of appeal because this case needs to be appealed.

My practice is chiefly concerns criminal law, and I have been...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Native American Law and Probate for Oklahoma on
Q: My great grandfather died without a will and has oil land in Oklahoma still . My grandmother is passed .do I have rights

Has an error to claiming any of that my grandmother was taken from her family and 1930s and never saw her family again. We just in the last five years found out about this land . I have been trying to find somebody to talk to to maybe point me in the right direction . I would love to tell you more

Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad answered on Apr 17, 2018

Possibly, It’s really answer this question requires a lot more information from you I suggest: a attorney that handles probate. If your grandmother theater was entitled to inherit then your parent ( grandmother’s child ) could also inherit

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Native American Law for Illinois on
Q: A company working for a tribal payday loan company threatened to issue an arrest warrant for non payment?Live in Ill.

I spoke with a guy who works for a debt collection company who currently has a debt from a payday loan I took out from a tribal payday loan company. I tried to comply and pay a portion but he refused my amount and said an arrest warrant will be issued. Can this really happen?

Steve McCann
Steve McCann answered on Mar 27, 2018

No it cannot, and it is a blatant violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Do you have any written evidence of the threat? In any event, refrain from speaking with the debt collector and contact an attorney immediately. Many of us offer free consultations, and will advise as to your... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.