Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Minnesota Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Business Law, Contracts, Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Minnesota on
Q: Is a non compete contract void if you request a signed copy and they don't provide one?

My old boss said I was in a non compete contract and I don't remember signing one and don't have a copy of one signed but I do have a copy of what it would say. I asked for a copy and was ghosted. I have an opertunity to make a living closer to home but from what the contract says I... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Identity Theft and Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: Is there anybody that can help when you beliebe bank forged grandparents name on mortgage loan?

I believe mortgage taken out on my grandparents property was forged and the bank did this.. also sayn my grandma Money in her account she left a note leaving it to a female relative. Then my grandfather has had life insurance policies since he was 16 but wen my dad got his stuff out safety deposit... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Minnesota on
Q: What is the statute on passing a vehicle in minnesota

I was in a 55mph zone and I passed this vehicle going 77. Ended up being an unmarked cop. He gave me a ticket going 70 in a 55. I looked on line and it said in minnesota you can pass a vehicle going up to 10-15 miles over the speed limit. Is that true?

Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
answered on Nov 27, 2022

Minnesota Statutes section 169.14 , Subd. 2a, increases speed limits when passing by ten miles per hour over the posted speed limit when the driver is on a two-lane highway having one lane for each direction of travel, and certain other conditions apply. But exceeding the posted speed limit... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Minnesota on
Q: Hi I'm 18 turning 19. I want to get a gun for target shooting but have had a history of anger when younger ages 4-14

So when I was younger I was diagnosed with low levels of autism and fasd but was before they knew I had adhd and they says that's the real reason I was like that according to state law In Minnesota and federal law you can't own a gun if you've been adjudicated as a mental defect by a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Minnesota on
Q: My Son got a ticket in MN for 169.20.2. But both parties where traveling the same direction. Wrong statue

He was parked on the side of the 4 lane road. He was making a uturn and Uturns are not illegal on this part of the street. Both parties where traveling East. The statue he put down is for on coming traffic but they where both traveling east.the police put MN 169.20.2. It should have been... Read more »

Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
answered on Nov 27, 2022

When the government prosecutes a person, it commences an adversarial relationship. And so we on the defense side of their prosecution have no duty to help them. If the prosecution lacks evidence for the violation charged, sooner or later, it should be dismissed. But, the prosecution can fairly... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Appeals / Appellate Law for Minnesota on
Q: Minnesota. Won appeal on a Possession charge. Already in prison. Case was sent back to district court. Now what?

MN declined Supreme Court. Now what??

Sarah Gad
Sarah Gad
answered on Nov 26, 2022

The answer is: it depends. Generally speaking, if a person is convicted of a crime and sentenced to prison for that crime, then it follows that they must be released from prison if the predicate conviction was vacated on appeal. Unless the person was convicted of multiple offenses that carried... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Minnesota on
Q: How can I find a lawyer who has expertise with application for disability benefits from the MN Dept Human Services?

My adult daughter (age 43) sustained a TBI and is not eligible for SSI because she had insufficient employment history when the TBI occurred. Although she lives independently, her long-term disability confounds her navigation of the complex procedures/processes.

Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
answered on Nov 25, 2022

I believe you mean your daughter does not qualify for SSDI (which is disability payments for having worked enough and paying into the Social Security system). Typically this means the only benefit available from Social Security would be SSI (Supplemental Security Income). The SSI program is also... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for Minnesota on
Q: I own a home, but will live in an apartment for a year while it is being renovated. Do I pay non-homesteading taxes

The home will have a rent-free caretaker living in it that year. The home is worth less than $500.000.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, International Law and Libel & Slander for Minnesota on
Q: needing help with dealing with a uruguayan resident in minnesota.

I have a uruguayan resident cyberstalking me and others for 2+ years, affecting my mental health + work. They started stalking me in early 2020, and i am afraid to have social media accounts so they won’t affect me/my friends anymore. i am a disabled artist and this person has affected my ability... Read more »

Sarah Gad
Sarah Gad
answered on Nov 26, 2022

Unfortunately, it sounds like you have a cyberstalker, and you're not alone. As many as 8% of Americans report being stalked online at some point in their life. In many cases, it's possible to get rid of the person on your own by locking down your social media and other accounts. But if... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Minnesota on
Q: Towing laws

I had to have my car towed from Wis back into Minn after a i blew a tire. . With my roadside assistance I had to break it up into 2 different tows Due to my mechanic being just over the 100 mile limit from where the car was picked up from. First tow truck brought the vehicle to the local gas... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Uncategorized for Minnesota on
Q: I am a senior citizen on a fixed income in Minnesota. I have been helping my son and wife weekly as I was able to.

They live in Oklahoma Am I legally to continue this process?

0 Answers | Asked in Employment Law and Employment Discrimination for Minnesota on
Q: Our PTO policy is being applied unfairly, is there anything I can do besides quit?

Our employee handbook says only one full time employee can take off at a time. I was denied a day based on this. That same day, three full timers are off, including the Head boss and the office manager.

0 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Minnesota on
Q: If one spouse used profits from the sale of a home towards the purchase of a new home are they entitled to more?

I moved into my husbands' house before we got married. After we had been married for a couple we sold his home and purchased a new one together. He used the equity from his home as the down payment for our new home. Is he entitled to more of the proceeds for the sale of the home we... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Minnesota on
Q: In Minnesota in Sherburne county what does a Level F Federal Hold mean while in county jail
Jonathan Matthew Holson
Jonathan Matthew Holson
answered on Nov 21, 2022

I'm not sure about the level F, but the federal hold means that the the inmate is being held on some sort of federal matter - likely either an immigration issue or they are facing criminal charges in federal court.

0 Answers | Asked in Employment Law for Minnesota on
Q: I won a civil judgment against my former employer for unpaid wages, but levies have been futile. What else could I do?

The judgment was made against the individual owner. Is it possible to attach the business? Or to bring a separate suit against his business? The levies have only addressed his personal accounts. I’m looking for a way to collect and be done with this nightmare. Having worked without pay did enough... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Libel & Slander for Minnesota on
Q: My uncle is slandering my name and i was wondering if i could sue him for slandering my name?

My uncle started telling my Grandmother things that i have never said. He also keeps sending my mom diffrent messages on facebook calling diffrent name and saying i am swearing at him. Also he is telling diffrent lies about me.

0 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Minnesota on
Q: Am I considered a "survivor" to my ex's pension after death if the decree does not state "with no survivor benefits"?

Decree states, (Ex's) pension earned through 12/31/86...shall be the following manner: (a) "The US Government, by and through the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), shall pay directly to the respondent herein, (me), the sum described in subparagraph (b) herein, from each... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Minnesota on
Q: Can I file evictions and go to court on behalf of my friends mobile home park in Minnesota? The park is a corporation,

Owner is not well enough to do them . I do not work for park but willing to help her. Does she have to give me special permission? If I can represent park what do I put in the papers for plaintiff then?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.