Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Adoption Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Tennessee on
Q: Adoption foster questions

We are a foster family and a child that used to be in our care who is 13 is coming up for adoption in Tennessee..the family she is with now wants to adopt her but she doesn't want them to ..she wants us to..does she have a choice ..does she have the option to refuse and do we have the option... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Adoption and Family Law for North Dakota on
Q: If my father adopted my 4 children and passed, kids lived with me for over a year in north dakota, which state do I file

I need to file for custody but which state would I need to file in ?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Adoption for Oklahoma on
Q: If the grandparents adopt said children would we be able to file for our parental rights to be reinstated if both

Parents and grandparents agree

Charles Watts
Charles Watts
answered on Nov 7, 2022

Once the parental rights are terminated and the original adoption is approved you would have to file for adoption of the child(ren) and prove that it is in the best interest of the child(ren)

0 Answers | Asked in Adoption for Indiana on
Q: We have state custody in kentucky of our grandkids for 4 years. Can we adopt them now

Father is deceased and mother live in another town. Sometimes it will be 3 months before she ask to see. We are the sole provider for them

0 Answers | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody, Criminal Law and Family Law for Nevada on
Q: "Nevada" can parole officers prevent a parolee from having a child and getting married or moving in together?

Convicted of child murder served 20 years in prison now out on parole. My boyfriend and I would like to start a family, can they prohibit us from doing that? Can they also stop us from getting married and moving in together when I also have 2 other children from previous relationships? Can they... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Adoption for Tennessee on
Q: How to adopt grand daughter and terminate biological fathers rights

My wife is the custodial parent of our grand daughter after our daughter passed in a car wreck in 2015. The biological father has every other weekend visitation, but she rarely goes. He has not seen or contacted us or her in over a year. Can we get an attorney and get his rights terminated and... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Adoption, Child Support and Family Law for Oklahoma on
Q: If a father is paying child support and a step dad wants to adopt well child support be terminated
Gary Johnston Dean
Gary Johnston Dean
answered on Nov 4, 2022

The bio dad must appear before adoption judge and consent to the adoption. His child support will terminate when the adoption is granted.

View More Answers

0 Answers | Asked in Adoption for Alabama on
Q: Getting custody of a child you are the father of but not on birth certificate

My ex wife and I got back together after a divorce I have primary of out son but not on the birth certificate for our daughter how can I get rights without the mother signing a paper to add me

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Adoption for Missouri on
Q: Can a 13 year old choose to not go to their mothers house and stay at their fathers house in the state of missouri?

The mother is a meth addict but we are having trouble proving it so he has to go over to the mothers house until it’s proven. The 13 year old does not like going to the mothers house, the mom is narcissistic and always blames him for her issues.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Child Custody for New Jersey on
Q: My mom adopted my child because I was in prison. My child has lived with me for 2 years. How can I overturn the adoption

My mom says she doesn’t want my daughter and verbally and emotionally abused her. I’d like to overturn the adoption and get my rights back

Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
answered on Nov 1, 2022

The first question is whether your mother formally adopted your daughter or whether she simply took guardianship of her as a result of your incarceration. But, if your mother no longer wants control over your daughter and you are able to handle the responsibilities, then ask your mother to sign... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Adoption for New Mexico on
Q: My son's guardians want to terminate my parental rights, they have not allowed me to see him at all. Can they do this?

Since my son was taken away from his father and I, due to DV and alcohol use, we acknowledged for SS to give temporary custody to his guardians, his uncle and aunt. I have not been allowed to see him, even after being sober for almost 2 years, my ex-husband however was able to see him 2-3 times a... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Adoption for Indiana on
Q: What is the process,cost and time frame for an adult adoption in indiana.

The adult in 18. We have always con her our daughter and she has considered us her parents and we all want to make it official and become the family that we already feel we are. She wants to disassociate herself with the negative stigma associated with her birth family and the pure hell she deals... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Family Law and Child Custody for Mississippi on
Q: We are wanting to get guardianship of a 15 year old girl. Her parents will sign the paper. How do we go about this?
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
answered on Oct 26, 2022

A lawyer will draft a petition for the guardianship, which will need to be signed by you and your husband. Additionally, the child’s parents will either sign the Petition or a waiver. An Agreed Judgnent allowing the guardianship will be signed and then presented to the Judge for his/her... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Michigan on
Q: I'm seeking answers on how to get custody of my grandchild.

My grandchild is 5 years old an I've been his care giver his whole life, his parents are not suitable to take care of him an I'd like to take full custody since he lives with me majority of the time.

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
answered on Oct 26, 2022

You should look into guardianship.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Michigan on
Q: If a referee says…. gonna check in2 CPS & criminal investigations do they contact previous ppl associated w/case history

Do they contact family or fosters… previous witnesses if a story doesn’t match?

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
answered on Oct 18, 2022

More likely, referee will simply review the CPS and criminal investigation reports, and may contact those agencies for a status update. Judges and referees are not police or investigators so they are not going to be contacting witnesses directly.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Georgia on
Q: Can I write up my own Adult Adoption petition or does an attorney need to do it?

What I found was that the petition needs to include:

name of the adopted adult

name of the adoptees

address of both parties

relevant information (i.e., social security numbers, years of age, etc.)

the adult’s written consent to be adopted

So would... Read more »

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards
answered on Oct 17, 2022

As with any court document, getting an attorney is best. A consent adult adoption would be relatively inexpensive and you can ensure it would be done correctly.

2 Answers | Asked in Adoption for Florida on
Q: I would like to adopt my first cousin’s daughter (my second cousin) who I have guardianship of. Is this possible?

I’m interested in kinship adoption if that is an option.

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on Oct 17, 2022

A child of your first cousin (grandchild of your grandparents other than you or your siblings) would be your first cousin once removed (Your second cousins would be descendants of your great-grandparents.), but yes, it's possible to adopt her.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Florida on
Q: Husband wants to adopt my child whose biological father is no where to be found. What can I do?

Living in Florida. I have a child that is not my ex husband's, but the child has his name by default ( as he did not physically sign the birth certificate) been divorced since the child's birth...and we've been out of communication ever since. Fast foward 10yrs, my now husband wants... Read more »

Pamela J. Fero Esq.
Pamela J. Fero Esq.
answered on Oct 11, 2022

Florida’s adoption law requires that the consent of both parents be given before a court can make an adoption final.

If one parent does not consent to the adoption, the court will only make the adoption final if it finds that:

✅ The non-consenting parent is unfit

Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.