Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Nebraska Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Uncategorized for Nebraska on
Q: My birth certificates and ID card were stolen in Mobile Alabama can I get help

My birth certificate gets ID card and social security card were stolen in Mobile Alabama

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Nebraska on
Q: How long does a Landlord have to inform you of a bill for damages to an apartment after you move out?

I had some carpet damage at my last apartment complex, due to a new kitten, I know my security deposit won't cover it so I've been waiting on a bill from them, it's been 6 weeks and I still haven't heard anything.

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce and Real Estate Law for Nebraska on
Q: Does a subordination of real estate lien hold up the selling of property, until paid?
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Sep 23, 2021

It certainly can. It depends on your specific real estate transaction. Selling a home is much different than selling a factory and there isn't enough info in your question to know about this specific transaction. That being said, assuming this is the sale of a home, you generally must pay... Read more »

View More Answers

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Rights for Nebraska on
Q: Reg . Paternity case .

Hello Julie , thanks a lot for your response! Much appreciated. Would be able to provide details of the case law you mentioned in your previous reply ..?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Litigation for Nebraska on
Q: Paternity question- resembling NE case state ex rel. Miah S. V. Ian K.

In my case , instead of State , the plaintiff ( bio dad) has brought a paternity suite in his own capacity using NE statute 43-1411. The children were born during marriage of my wife and myself. We do not have any divorce decree entered. 43-1411 allows state/alleged father/mother to file paternity... Read more »

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Sep 22, 2021

When a child is born during the marriage, there is a marital presumption that the child born during the marriage is a child of the marriage. If the parties remain married, they could object to a third party trying to establish paternity and argue that the marital presumption prevents the third... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Nebraska on
Q: Unpaid marijuana fine - will it cause passport issues. How can I get in contact to pay? It is out of state

Possession ticket from past. Went to court and was fined. I then Mailed the check but it never cleared. I moved so never heard more. It’s unpaid and I’m hoping to travel out of the country next year. How can i get the process of paying started? It’s out of state in Missouri or Iowa i believe.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Antitrust for Nebraska on
Q: How should I go about signing a legal document where someone I bailed out of jail will return my money?

The date they will receive a check for my money is in about 3 weeks. They are willing to sign a legal document stating they will return the money as soon as they receive it. If this person is already being garnished for a different case what is the chances of me receiving if they do not pay after... Read more »

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Sep 21, 2021

If you have a written contract, it may be easier to have the Court's assistance in enforcing the terms of the contract if the other party breaches the agreement. The are a number of ways to protect yourself when you loan someone money, such as a promissory note or collateral.

It is...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Nebraska on
Q: We had a temp hearing. The judge ordered child supt. When do I start paying? Order hasn’t be signed or filed in court.

We got 50/50 and the temp order states child support and alimony for me to start paying and for both of us to take care of our own mortgages and bills. She has not made the mortgage payment and I haven’t pay for child support and alimony yet since I don’t have any court paperwork. Her lawyer is... Read more »

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Sep 21, 2021

The Order will include the start date that the judge ordered the payments to start. Most temporary orders are entered by the Court within a relatively short period of time after the hearing occurs, from a few days to a month or so on average. If the other party was required to prepare the order... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Nebraska on
Q: Filling out driver's motor vehicle accident report online, I accidentally hit the submit instead of save button

Once you submit, it is filed. Should I be worries? Accident was not my fault.

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Sep 21, 2021

If you didn't fill out the accident report as you intended, you may want to call and explain what you accidentally did and ask how to have the report re-opened.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Contracts for Nebraska on
Q: How long do I have to invoice a consumer for my service?

I was reviewing accounts and realized I never invoiced a consumer for my services. A year has passed since the services, are they still legally bound to pay me?

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Sep 21, 2021

Depending on the facts, you are still likely within the statute of limitations to collect the debt. Call the customer and explain the mistake. The customer shouldn't expect to get a free service when there was an agreement to pay. You may also need to talk with your tax professional to find... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy for Nebraska on
Q: Can you file bankruptcy on an overpayment made by disability?
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Aug 29, 2021


1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Nebraska on
Q: My landlord isn't doing repairs.

I notified my landlord 2 weeks ago that my air conditioner wasn't working right. I was told it would be fixed by the 21st. It still hasn't been. Can I buy a new one (in wall unit) and have it installed and deduct the entire cost from my rent?

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Sep 21, 2021

Probably not.

The Legal Aid Landlord Tenant Handbook is a good resource to review for some basic info before speaking with an attorney about your specific situation.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Nebraska on
Q: Hello my mom got sick and they put her in a home now my sister won't let me se my mo w what should I do
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Aug 19, 2021

Unless your mother is incapacitated, it is usually the patient's choice as to who they want to visit them.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Nebraska on
Q: If I get pulled over with a motorcycle learners permit, what are the consequences?
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Aug 19, 2021

One consequence of driving alone with a learner's permit is to have the permit revoked and becoming ineligible for a further permit until the driver is 16 years old.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Lemon Law and Civil Rights for Nebraska on
Q: got hired to repair deck, now he doesn't want to pay me. he keeps changing and hurrying me to finish. what are my rights
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Aug 19, 2021

One option may be a construction lien. See the Nebraska Construction Lien Act, starting at Neb. Rev. Stat. Section 52-125.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Nebraska on
Q: How can I recover loss of use for commercial equipment? The other party is liable as it was hit and run.
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Aug 19, 2021

You can pursue the liable party, if they can be found. Another option may be to make a claim on your insurance. You would want to review your insurance policies to see what coverage may be available.

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith for Nebraska on
Q: Insurance company for the at fault party is refusing to pay for damages resulting in their insured being at fault.

My company’s utility trailer,that is essential to operate my business, was totaled by garbage truck. It was a hit and run. It’s been nearly a year and the at faults insurance is refusing to pay anything but a small fraction of the money my business is out. They refuse to show any paperwork for... Read more »

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Aug 19, 2021

If you were in a motor vehicle collision and the other insurance company is offering to pay less than the damages, then it may be time to retain an attorney and pursue legal action for the damages. The Court will generally order the party to pay reasonably related damages. The party not at fault... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.