Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oregon Social Security Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Social Security for Oregon on
Q: I applied for disability and was denied. What should I do in my appeal to get a better chance of being approved?

I have a congenital heart condition which has required 2 surgeries already, a malformed hand from a birth defect, a knee which the doctor says will need surgery to fix and rebuild (I walk with a cane), and several diagnosed mental health conditions. As far as I can tell, the disability board only... Read more »

Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
answered on Jan 19, 2022

The majority of people are denied at the first two stages of the process so don’t let that discourage you. When you file the appeal make sure you give detailed information about all of your medical conditions and list all of your treatment providers. While a note from your doctor saying you are... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Social Security for Oregon on
Q: I need help filling an appeal with social security. There are several reasons they said they denied that were false,

They have Drs I never seen saying I can do things I can not do,

They disagree because I did not stay over night just treated and release for

for COPD and chronic bronchitis, (I have most meds at home to help)

I am now using a walker most of time but can use my cane for... Read more »

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
answered on Aug 26, 2021

I am sorry to hear that Social Security denied your disability claim.

You have 60 days to appeal this decision. Make sure that you file the appeal timely, even if you are still looking for someone to help you with your claim.

You should consult with a disability attorney right...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security and Family Law for Oregon on
Q: Is it legal for my father’s wife to withhold my social security card?

I moved out of my fathers house to my mom’s when I was 15 and they now have split custody. I haven’t seen him in almost 3 years though because he and his wife are abusive. I am now 17 and I’m looking into getting a job, but I can’t do that without my social security card, and the office... Read more »

Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore
answered on Oct 13, 2020

Your current legal guardian is the only person who has the right to hold a minor's Social Security card. Anyone else can get in trouble with the federal government for trying to hold on to it.

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Social Security for Oregon on
Q: Can a house that is in a Supplemental Needs Trust be transferred to a private party?
Theressa Hollis
Theressa Hollis
answered on Feb 26, 2020

Supplemental Needs Trusts (also called Special Needs Trusts) are a very specialized area of law. I strongly recommend that you meet with an experienced planning attorney to assist you. It is impossible to answer your question without a lot more information.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes, Identity Theft, Landlord - Tenant and Social Security for Oregon on
Q: A woman took money from my daughter saying it was for rent for 1year what can we do

Soon after she took my daughter's money she kicked her out without notice or reimbursement and left my daughter homeless in a strange place. There is more but as you see it's a long story

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
answered on Nov 9, 2018

Assuming you can prove it, and it occurred in Oregon, your daughter simply needs to review everything in detail with a landlord-tenant attorney who practices in the same geographic area as the rental. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Social Security for Oregon on
Q: I have a housing voucher. My income SSDI is $980 month. What happens if I have saved over $2000 in my bank account?

My only source of income is SSDI and I am not employed. The housing specialist is doing an annual income review. I am afraid my rent will be raised or I will lose my housing voucher because I have saved more than $2000 in my checking account.

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
answered on Oct 19, 2016

I am not clear what means test you are worried about? SSDI is not like SSI - you can have more then $2,000 saved and you won't lose money from your next SSDI payment. However, you may have to keep your total assets level down low in order to qualify for section "8" housing which... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.