Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Washington Federal Crimes Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Federal Crimes for Washington on
Q: Can I buy a hand gun when I was charged with a criminal trespassing in the second degree but no jail time and no DV

I did not serve jail time I paid 250$ and it was dismissed in January of 2021 charged in December of 2020. I just want to know if I will be able to carry a hand gun for self protection

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Immigration Law and Federal Crimes for Washington on
Q: If an inmate completes his 15 year sentence, does he have any time to see his mother before he is deported?

I'm asking for a 94 year old mother who wants to be able to see her son. He came to USA when he was a young boy from Scotland. He is at Snake River Correctional Institution, Ontario, OR however, I live in Seattle, WA.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jul 6, 2023

When an inmate completes a 15-year sentence, the possibility of visiting their mother before deportation depends on immigration status, legal restrictions, and logistical considerations. Consulting an immigration attorney specializing in deportation and family visitation rights is recommended for... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Federal Crimes for Washington on
Q: Seek for help that OPT/OPT extension under security check by USCIS (processed more than 8 months)

On Dec 23rd, 2020, my friends and I traveled to Alaska for fun, but the driver accidentally drove into the military base. As the passengers, we cannot control our ability, but all were arrested and issued Penalty Violations of Security & Orders. We're dismissed without prejudice at the... View More

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
answered on Dec 29, 2021

This is unfortunate, but a mistake was made by your irresponsible friend. Now, the USCIS seems unwilling to devote time to reasonably adjudicate the EAD OPT applications. I suspect that no action will be taken any time soon. You really ought to hire experienced counsel, not dabble with a pro se... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Washington on
Q: I was arrested and sentenced on a drug charge in California, I live in Washington state. Can new legislature effect me

It was at the Otay border and I took the plea for 36 months. Washington state has basically decriminalized drug possession and I was just wondering if it could effect my case

Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson
answered on Oct 7, 2021

I'm afraid not. The change in WA drug law was a very specific ruling based on the wording of the WA possession statute, which was unique in the country. This change would not affect convictions from any other state or the federal system.

If you want to read more about how the change...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Constitutional Law for Washington on
Q: What to do when there is entire county of corrupt cops and i cant report elsewhere because its outside of specific count
Cristine Beckwith
Cristine Beckwith
answered on Jun 6, 2020

In certain cases, when it can be proven to the court that a certain jurisdiction would not be able to hold a fair trial, a motion to change venue could be granted. We would need to speak with you so we can get additional information. Please feel free to contact us at 253-238-8273.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Small Claims, Federal Crimes and Military Law for Washington on
Q: I was hit by a military cop and need to file a tort claim for damages to my vehicle. Who do i file the claim with in wa?

I thought i was being pulled over so i pulled over and got rear ended by a JBLM MP who was responding to another call looking at his computer. I live in wa state.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Apr 24, 2020

If you were injured contact aWashington State Assn for Justice member member in the county where it happened--they give free consultations. If it's just damage to the car, if you have collision run it through that, let them deal with it. Start by getting estimates, and the base JAG corps... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Washington on
Q: What is a “person of interest” in a homicide? If The person who committed the crime has been arrested And charged

If authorities have suspect in custody but are not letting media personal know about the arrest yet advertising “persons of interest” wanted in the case that allegedly have info. What should those personals of interest do legally?

Patrick Owen Earl
Patrick Owen Earl
answered on Apr 16, 2020

This sounds like a school question? What are you asking?

If there is someone that is charged with a criminal offense and needs representation please contact me. I am available for all types of offenses here in WA State.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Federal Crimes for Washington on
Q: How can I find a Lawyer to help my son, who is incarcerated, write his brief for appeal court?

My son need a Lawyer that will help him was appeal brief, so he can get an appeal. The family is will to give a fee for this service.

Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson
answered on Jun 10, 2019

There are many lawyers around the state who specialize in appeals. I highly recommend Jeremy Morris, but full disclosure he is my law partner.

You should be able to find appellate lawyers with a quick search.

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes, Personal Injury, Car Accidents and Native American Law for Washington on
Q: Are GOV vehicles registered to a tribe required to have insurance if driven off the reservation?

23 year old tribal member involved in accident off the reservation. No insurance, but is a GOV truck registered to the tribe. Who is held liable, non-insured driver or the tribe that's the registered owner?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Jan 23, 2019

Generally both. Tribal law governs on tribal land. Take the vehicle outside the rez or national boundary, then the state law applies. However tribe should have some type of umbrella policy.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Washington on
Q: I was arrested for poss of meth my pretial is not Intel Feb relise form wants me to ua before I've ever gotten a trial ?

Plead not guilty shouldn't I get to have trial before being treated quality?

Ali Shahrestani,
Ali Shahrestani,
answered on Dec 24, 2018

Over 94% of criminal defendants accept plea bargains before they receive any sort of real legal defense, nevermind a trial. Our criminal justice system is in the throes of a travesty. I recommend hiring a high quality criminal defense attorney to review your case details and to properly advise and... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Federal Crimes, Immigration Law and International Law for Washington on
Q: I just learned that I inadvertently committed a federal financial crime. Should I write a letter of explanation to IRS?

I'm from Canada and a US permanent resident ( through marriage) since 2011. I made several money transfers from Canada of less than $10,000 not knowing that this was a federal crime to do so. No one at my bank ever notified me of the potential problem. I am seeking a divorce and my US citizen... View More

Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
answered on Nov 8, 2018

You need to speak with an attorney familiar with federal law around international financial transactions.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Washington on
Q: Can he be charged?

I'm asking this question for an incarcerated friend of mine. No charges have been filed as of yet but the situation is his car was stolen and someone he associated with unbeknownst to him left a box or Backpack or container or whatever I don't know in the car and without my friends... View More

Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson
answered on Dec 18, 2017

Could he be charged? Sure, it doesn't take much to get charged. There is a theory called constructive possession, that basically allows the presumption that whoever is in control of a car is responsible for whatever is in it. If the police found the car unoccupied, and he is the owner, he... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Landlord - Tenant and Military Law for Washington on
Q: What is the charge if you know someone is subletting in base housing?

The person in question is active duty in base housing but subletting to another service member and has not reported it.

Patrick Korody
Patrick Korody
answered on Feb 13, 2017

There may not be a charge at all, depending on the circumstances. It's probably privatized housing based on a lease. Violating a lease is not normally a criminal offense, even in the military.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.