COVID-19 Criminal Law Q&A by State

Your current state is Virginia

US Territories

  • Puerto Rico

Show More States

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Criminal Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for California on
Q: My boyfriend is in jail in San Francisco he has serious health issues and more than half of the other inmates in his

His unit have covid and if he gets sick he can die

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Sep 13, 2023

I'm sorry to hear about this difficult situation. It would be prudent for your boyfriend to communicate his health concerns to the jail's medical staff immediately and request to be isolated from other inmates to protect his health. Moreover, you might consider reaching out to a local... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for California on
Q: If you're arrested and post bill at a bails bondsman and no charges are filed can you get that deposit back

,, I recently was picked up to serve two days for my last court case that I had and I've already been trying to turn myself in but I was turned away multiple times at the jail because of overcrowding and covid well serving those two days I thought I was in trouble for something else so I... View More

Robert Kane
Robert Kane
answered on Aug 26, 2023

If the bondsman bailed you out, they are entitled to their fee. It doesn't matter what happens after that concerning the charges.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Criminal Law, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for New York on
Q: I'm in Ch13, had COVID foreclosure protection, but the bank fraudulently filed & received Termination of Automatic Stay

While under COVID-19-Related Hardship Foreclosure Protection (from 3/25/2021-9/20/2021) which my mortgage company extended to me upon my written request after filing the COVID-19 Hardship Form, their attorneys filed Notice of Motion and Motion for Termination of the Automatic Stay. I was not fully... View More

Jonathan David Warner
Jonathan David Warner
answered on Aug 25, 2023

Based upon the facts you've presented, it doesn't sound as if any fraud was committed - though I do sympathize with your frustration.

In just about any case, non-payment of your mortgage is grounds for termination of the Automatic Stay in a Bankruptcy Case. The COVID-19 Hardship...
View More

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Texas on
Q: where can I find any cases where a motion to suppress was won using Gov. Abbott wavier to car registration during Covid

I was pulled over for an expired registration but, it was during Covid and we didn’t have to register our car because of the Gov’s waiver during a state of emergency. I was arrested for something found in the car after I got pulled over.

Tristan Nicolas LeGrande
Tristan Nicolas LeGrande
answered on Jun 10, 2023

Its just not that simple to suppress evidence. If you want to actually accomplish suppression of evidence, I strongly encourage you to hire an attorney.

But here you go:

The registration requirement was only was...
View More

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Landlord - Tenant for California on
Q: What's the Statue of Limitation for Civil Lawsuit against another person's sexual harassment in CA?

What's the Statue of Limitation for Civil Lawsuit against another person's sexual harassment in CA? It is about a case between two neighbors in an apartment building, not at the workplace. So, during the past two years, that has been for the problem of pandemic, all the Statues of... View More

Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi
answered on Jun 2, 2023

In the case you are describing, you probably have two years from the date of the first harassment within which to bring legal action. It is suggested that you prepare a chronology of the events, explaining who, what, when, where, and how the harassment took place, and supplement that with all the... View More

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Texas on
Q: Can you get stopped for a exp registration when the Gov claimed aCovid state of emergency and didn’t have to get renewed

I was stopped by an unmarked truck by a detective who wanted nothing more than to search my vehicle. He said he pulled me over because of an expired registration but, Governor Abbott said we did not have to renew registration until Covid state of emergency was no longer in effect. Is this a legal... View More

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on Jan 27, 2023

The emergency excusing vehicle registration renewal in Texas ended April 14, 2021. If the stop occurred prior to that date, it was illegal and you should be able to get the offense dismissed.

It may help if you bring your current post-April 14 registration to demonstrate that you complied...
View More

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Kentucky on
Q: What are the laws on a Speedy Trial in Kentucky?

I have had my trial continued 2 times and it's been drawn out for 2 years. I feel like my right to a speedy trial is being ignored.

Leland Hulbert
Leland Hulbert
answered on Jan 1, 2023

The right to speedy trial is within 180 days if you’re being held on another case. If you only have one case and you agree to continuances then you’re right to speedy trial is not invoked. You need to talk to your attorney. On circuit court trials they typically take 1 to 3 years. Covid has not... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Gov & Administrative Law and Municipal Law for Minnesota on
Q: Can Minnesota residents be fined today, for not wearing a face mask back in the 'Peacetime Emergency' times?


Even though as of today those various COVID mask requirements and executive orders in Minnesota have expired, can someone be still fined, if for example this person was recorded and identified on video visiting a bar or restaurant without a mask back in 2020, during 'Peacetime... View More

Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
answered on Dec 16, 2022

Because Minnesota Statutes §609.735 CONCEALING IDENTITY, appears to make wearing a mask "to prevent spread of disease" (as opposed to "medical treatment"), in public, a crime; I would challenge any attempt to enforce an "executive order" to the contrary. I've... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Civil Litigation and Libel & Slander for Michigan on
Q: Assuming there is enough evidence to substantiate my claims. Is my ex-girlfriend accountable in any way for tearing our

child's amniotic membrane 8 weeks early to get on FMLA at work? and then for going out of her way to maliciously infect me with covid, and then for falsely accusing me of PPO and stalking when I asked to see my child too many times? How do I hold someone like this accountable? and how do I... View More

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
answered on Jul 21, 2022

If it is a crime you are alleging she committed, then you can certainly contact the police and make a report; it's likely they will say this is a family / civil matter and stay out of it.

Is there a current PPO? You need to file an objection and have a hearing about that. Until then,...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for California on
Q: If my wife or child dies as a result of the spread of COVID via an anti-vaxxer, can I sue for negligent homicide?

This assumes I can genetically trace this particular strain of covid back to the spreader.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
answered on Aug 24, 2021

anyone can sue at any time.

i suspect the issue will be whether you can find a lawyer to handle on a contingency or whether you could afford to fund a lawsuit................AND

whether there would be enough evidence to guess is you would not have the evidence.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Appeals / Appellate Law for Michigan on
Q: My 26 year old son has been incarcerated 7 + years his minimun was served 9-2020. We need a tough appeletic Attorney

Hes been flopped twice but has no additional incidents or any violent crimes. I am in Muskegon, MI he is in Baraga Correctional Facility we filed mandamus and need excellent representation

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
answered on Aug 8, 2021

Has he completed all his programming? And when and what were his prior incidents? Is he in for a sex offense? It would not be unusual at all for someone in on a CSC to be flopped twice, due to apparently no fault of his own. Additionally, with COVID, a lot of programming just hasn't been... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Michigan on
Q: How can i help with hurrying up my daughter case in court what papers can i file for a case evaluation.

She has been in a mental health facility 2 yrs now and i know its been too long. The place is not helping her at all actually she has gotten worse since being there. With alot of different meds they have had her on. I told them shes became immune to them an they should do a wash. Meaning get them... View More

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
answered on Aug 8, 2021

There is nothing you can do to move the case forward faster. You can, perhaps, help her attorney do so. Her attorney is the only person the court will accept filings from. The Forensic Center is probably not inclined to take directives from you or the attorney.

Keep in mind that under...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for New York on
Q: Question about ACD for petit larceny

I received an ACD for petit larceny back around the end of 2019 / beginning of 2020. Along with the usual "don't get arrested again" bit, part of the deal was to complete 20 hours of community service but for reasons including the unexpected arrival of the pandemic, I was unable to... View More

Brian Berkowitz
Brian Berkowitz pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jul 16, 2021

Thank you for your question. This is not something you want to have hanging over your head and if possible, you should reach out to the attorney who originally handled your case to see what, if anything they can do to help you and answer your questions. If you are unable or unwilling to contact... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Arizona on
Q: The person we had TEMPORARILY caring 4 our dog as we searched for a place to live, is trying to keep him. What can I do

Someone had been watching our dog as we looked for a place to live. Among other things, the pandemic prolonged the time it took to do so (4 months). Right before we were to contact the guy to get our dog, he randomly texted and said he killed the dog and threw him in the fire. Devistated, we... View More

Mike Branum
Mike Branum
answered on Jul 2, 2021

Unfortunately, it is not as easy as merely requesting a civil standby. I have not filed a case like this personally, but I believe you should be able to file a case in justice court instead of at the superior court level since all you are seeking is possession of the property (dog). The fees will... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Medical Malpractice for Texas on
Q: My father got covid in jail! Can I sue the jail? Or state?

My father test positive for Covid! 2hours after he was released from county jail! He was wearing the same mask he got booked into jail with. 18days with the same mask! I asked and requested that he get a new mask or if I could bring any in. SEVERAL TIMES!!! Was told “I’ll get him one” spoke... View More

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
answered on Jul 1, 2021

You can sue anyone for almost anything but that doesn't mean you can win. A lawsuit like this would never be a matter of Criminal Law even though it involves the administration of the county jail. This would be a matter of Civil Law and may need to include some sort of Civil Rights argument... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Constitutional Law for Texas on
Q: is it true that you have to be inditied before able to get a speedy trial for a felony

I’ve been on bond for a year and have not been indited ..or no court date or anything, been asking my “paid attorney”for a speedy trial since day one,because of my innocence. But I do think he knows the law very well. Keep saying cuz of covid but I’m going through a divorce and I’m going... View More

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
answered on Jun 22, 2021

It is true that the right to a speedy trial does not attach until the case is indicted. It is also true that there is no right to a speedy indictment. However, you can usually force an indictment by demanding an Examining Trial to determine probable cause. This is only a good idea in rare... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Education Law for New Jersey on
Q: I'm looking for help with my daughter's virtual high school attendance...

She was given a school-issued Chromebook in September, when she started high school. Due to the pandemic, I kept all 3 of my kids virtual. Her particular Chromebook would not stay connected to my home wifi and she would use her personal laptop to log into school. On the days she used her laptop,... View More

Amber Forrester
Amber Forrester
answered on Jun 21, 2021

You didn’t specify, but if you’ve got a court date, I assume you (and your daughter) are facing a truancy charge. That can be treated as a disorderly persons offense (NJ’s term for misdemeanor), and while the fine is low, it’s still not something you’d want to have on your background,... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: If you are bonded out of jail when you go to your court date can you still get a court appointed attorney?
Tracy Tiernan
Tracy Tiernan
answered on Jun 15, 2021

This is a bit of a difficult question to answer as it varies from county to county, from Judge to judge (particularly with the coronavirus pandemic having ravaged the country this past year or so.

In many instances the courts have dramatically reduced bonds to get people out of custody as...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Employment Law and Landlord - Tenant for California on
Q: Manager @ CA Regional RV Park covered up an employee Cov-19 OUTBREAK. Endangering 200+ residents. This can’t be legal!

Manager hosted internal company party while gov. ordinances, i.e. “no social gatherings” were in full effect. Masks not enforced. 9 employees contracted Covid-19 at this party.

Facility falsely reported only ONE Covid positive case.

Employees were laid-off for a month to... View More

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
answered on Jun 9, 2021

more info needed.

you can always petition or sue for anything.......whether you can get a lawyer to take the case on a contingency AND collect anything is another story.

i would think contacting the owner of the establishment would make the most sense.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Texas on
Q: How long does it take to get a dismissal for a misdemeanor criminal case? (Lowest possible criminal crime)

My friend was arrested in November 2020 is put on bail and has a court appointed attorney. The last thing he heard from the attorney is that it looked like it may be dropped because the plaintiff isn't responding to them. This was a month ago and the attorney also said he had 5 other cases in... View More

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
answered on May 10, 2021

Wow, complaining about a free attorney? Beggars can't be choosers. It isn't the defense attorney's decision when or if the prosecutor dismisses the case. Sure, the defense attorney can attempt to INFLUENCE the prosecutor but ultimately if you have a stubborn prosecutor sometimes... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.