Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Tennessee Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for Tennessee on
Q: My SO and I contacted Renter’s Warehouse about ending the lease early. They are now wanting an extra $700 in fees.

We paid them the requested 2 months rent to terminate the lease. Our last week in the house, the A/C went out and it took 4 days just to get an estimate to fix it. We spent the whole week loading furniture in 85° weather. On our last day in the house (lease ended the next day), we were trying to... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Tennessee on
Q: My x wife had a son born to her which had her at the time current husband's name automatically put on birth certificate

Due to TN state law insisting child was mine. I got her a divorce and married her and provided her with paperwork to change child's name to mine. She did not do this till years later after we divorced and I had even remarried. Then she took my rights from me and had her 4th husband adopt child... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Tennessee on
Q: i am charged with possesion of marajuana with intent to resell and possesion of methampedamine withing 500ftof a school

first offense only about 3.5lbs of marajuana and 7.5 grams of meth..what am i facing

0 Answers | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Tennessee on
Q: Stalking harassing neighbor

I have a neighbor who I think was trespassing on our land for a long time..then when we cleared trees and started to develop a dwelling the neighbor has done the following: rising atvs all day up and down the front of our property on a road right in front of us for hours on end. They cleared trees... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Tennessee on
Q: I bought my home 12 years ago and put up a 5 foot chain link fence. My new neighbor behind me claims I'm 5' on his line

Does adverse possession apply to me?

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Sep 16, 2021

It is possible that you, your predecessors and the same for the adjoining property, may have ACQUIESCED to the established on the ground boundary line, irregardless of the titled legal description boundaries. But 5 foot is alot, and it sounds like he just got a survey. It may be prudent to... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Tennessee on
Q: So one of my former friends is trying to blackmail me because they are mad at me. Her father in law gave her his debit

Card to use to pay bills etc..she was always losing her wallet and asked me to create a cash app that way when she needed money I'd send it to my cash app and withdrawal it for her.. and she even called the bank a few times to approve the transfers cuz he is deaf and she takes care of all... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Employment Law for Tennessee on
Q: Is it illegal for an employer to bribe to come into work?

In Tennessee

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Probate for Tennessee on
Q: we are needing to do appeal on a probate judgment which happen 2 weeks ago.

We were being sued by my sister which she thought we stole money from my mother when she lived with us. this is not true. we browed money and mom knew about and came up with agreement which this paperwork was not admit in because we did not have anything with us because we did not know at the... Read more »

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Sep 15, 2021

If within 30 days of entry of the Judgment, you might file a Rule 59 Motion To Alter or Amend with the Probate Court. Later you might consider an appeal, but first you want the trial court to hear that you actually borrowed money and were paying it back. Hire a competent attorney as you need a... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Products Liability for Tennessee on
Q: Can this car lot come after me for nonpayment or fees and take me to court?

I made a down payment on a car that I haven't had for maybe 2 weeks and it began messing up on me. Twice it broke down on me on the interstate. I explained to them what happened and I told them that since I haven't even had it for 2 weeks I either want my money back for it or another one... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Domestic Violence for Tennessee on
Q: my abuser now has told my 1st abuser whose in prison my address and laughed on facebook can i press new charges

i have 1 yr no contact on her/she revealed my location to my 1st abuser who is serving 14yrs in prison for trying to strangle me to death/and laughed about it on social media/she is now cyberstalking and idenity theft i have reported her to ftc irs and froze my credit\she uses source code to root... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Tennessee on
Q: Work has been done to property before purchase and now they’re asking for more money due to property taxes increase.

Closing date was pushed 8 days one day before closing date. On supposed closing date told we need 12k more or we can’t purchase. We’ve already gave $5500 between realtors and title company, have over 10k in work and repairs in the property. Paid for 2 appraisals. What are we able to do to... Read more »

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Sep 15, 2021

Hire a competent attorney today, as you have went in way too far (and the seller knows you are good for alot more money). It appears the contract is already breached, and the seller intends to keep your investment into something you do not own. It is doubtful you will recoup anything. You... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Health Care Law for Tennessee on
Q: What is the typical process when a hospital or entity knows of a hippa violation?

I know a doctor viewed my medical records without my permission. I reported him but they said it will be handled internally

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Tennessee on
Q: Hi, my parents are taking me to court for emergency custody of my daughter. She has been living with them for 3 years of

Hi, my parents are taking me to court for emergency custody of my daughter. She has been living with them for 3 years off and on { turns 4 in March} I have all the text messages where I have been trying to get her back but they would not let me. I do not do any drugs/alcohol or anything. I also... Read more »

Denania Galloway
Denania Galloway answered on Sep 14, 2021

Make sure you show up for the court date. I highly suggest you retain an attorney to help with your situation.

Outside of that, the State of TN usually holds preference to the biological parent unless there are other circumstances like dependency and neglect, drug and alcohol abuse, or...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Tennessee on
Q: Under overtime exemptions when does the managing two employees section kick in?

Under exempt employees salary laws. It says if you manage two or more employees you are exempt from overtime. I worked as a night manager at a quick-serve restaurant. Most nights I worked I would be with one employee but they would change out with other employees depending on the shift. Every so... Read more »

Rhiannon Herbert
Rhiannon Herbert answered on Sep 14, 2021

More information is needed here. Under the executive exemption, you are exempt from the overtime pay requirements of the FLSA if you manage at least 2 employees or their equivalent (among other requirements). This can be two full-time employees, or their "equivalent" (i.e. two part-time... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Tennessee on
Q: Tenant pursing a compliant against landlord and HUD & THRC filed compliant.

tenant need lawyer due to discrimination

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Tennessee on
Q: Moved before writ of possession, went to get rest of my things, landlord was stealing my things, is this lega
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Sep 14, 2021

It may have been Conversion. But it was definitely Criminal Trespassing for you to go back there.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Tennessee on
Q: How to file adverse possession in tn
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Sep 14, 2021

You do not "file" for adverse possession. If you are serious, then hire a very competent attorney who actually conducts real property litigation (not closings), and pay him alot of money for advice what to do for the next several years.

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Tennessee on
Q: I moved out before the writ of possession was filed, left some personal property when i went back to get it landlord

Was loading it into truck of his car, is that legal?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.