Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Banking legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Oklahoma Banking Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and White Collar Crime for Oklahoma on
Q: I was endorsed a inheritance check from friend with no was excepted ,account opened and deposited now no access

I was endorsed a inheritance check from a friend who had no idea.we went to the bank it was explained about the id and excepted.i was allowed to open new account and deposit the check,the check was legit and funds are in the all the sudden the bank won't let me access the funds.i... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Oklahoma on
Q: I cashed a check for a friend who didn't have a bank account. Turns out the check was bad, but neither of us knew that.

My friend had a check written out to them but didn't have a bank account to cash it, so they signed it over to me since I do have an account. I cashed the check, but it turned out to be a bogus check that neither of us had any knowledge of, which has bounced at my bank. What will happen now?... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Feb 23, 2024

Unfortunately, cashing a bad check can lead to several consequences. Since you cashed the check, your bank may hold you responsible for the amount of the bounced check, including any associated fees. Even though you were trying to help your friend, both of you could potentially face legal... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Banking for Oklahoma on
Q: I just found out my sister wrote a bad check 22 years ago for 25 dollars a arest warrant was issued but no one notified

No one notified her she had no idea at all now what will happen to her she just found out looking on line for something else can you help will she go to jail after 22 years please need help

David A. Cincotta
David A. Cincotta pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Dec 4, 2023

In this situation, there is likely a very strong defense for the matter to be dismissed. I would encourage you to contact a criminal defense attorney in the area where the charge was filed.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Divorce and Banking for Oklahoma on
Q: My ex husband cashed an escrow and insurance check with my name on it too. Is there something legally I can do?

He didn’t offer me half.

It had my name AND his name. Our names were separated by AND.

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Sep 29, 2023

Your name being on the check and it being cashed without your consent could constitute fraud or conversion. You could file a civil action to recover your share of the money.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law, Banking and Health Care Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Caring for Mom with Alzheimer's. What docs needed to handle ALL Med. & Fin.?

Do certain docs need notarized and/or filed with Court Clerk office? Will a durable POA cover it all, including land, her home and Quit Claim Deed if necessary? Is a Advance Directive needed or just be beneficial? Are specifics needed to handle her Social Security benefits as well?

Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad
answered on Jul 26, 2023

Sorry to hear that your mother is suffering from Alzheimer's. From your question it wasn't clear whether she has the powers of attorney and other documents already completed. If not, and she has sufficient capacity, then she should move quickly to get these in place. An advanced... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Small Claims, Personal Injury and Banking for Oklahoma on
Q: seeking advice and assistance for a potential case against the consumer reporting agency, Experian, TransUnion, Equifax

I believe that my rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and other relevant laws have been violated. The FCRA (15 USC 1681 section 602 a) establishes the need for consumer reporting agencies, such as Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax, to exercise their responsibilities with fairness,... View More

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on Mar 16, 2023

Your post does not contain a question. You might try to rephrase.

If you are asking what kind of lawyer you should look for in the circumstances described, I would recommend you search for a lawyer who practices consumer law in or near the county where you anticipate filing suit....
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Estate Planning and Probate for Oklahoma on
Q: My husband passed away a month ago and his family is not allowing me to go to my house. Can they make me leave?

They also closed his bank account after telling me that I couldnt because it was going to probate which it did not. My inlaws live directly behind us so they claim that I cant be on family land. We have a mortage through Choctaw Nation as Iam a tribal member but the deed is in his name only. Weve... View More

Charles Watts
Charles Watts
answered on Jul 27, 2022

Sorry for your loss. Losing a loved one is hard enough by itself but then to have family issues on top of that makes it worse. Based on the limited amount of information you gave you need to contact an attorney as soon as feasible because you most likely have more rights than they are claiming you... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Banking for Oklahoma on
Q: Can I get prosecuted for transferring money out of my husbands checking account over to my cash app card

Can I get prosecuted for stealing

Charles Watts
Charles Watts
answered on Feb 9, 2022

Are you married still? Are the any injunctions in place? Do you have access to the account normally? However, you will not probably get a direct yes or no answer on this from any attorney because there are always many facts that go into things. Contact a family law attorney to assist you in... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Tax Law, Banking and Business Law for Oklahoma on
Q: I am on a school board for a private school.

Can a parent make a donation to the school (501c3) and then ask for the money back if they move or enroll their child elsewhere?

Charles Watts
Charles Watts
answered on Jan 5, 2022

The parent can ask - but there isn't anything requiring the refund. There is no federal law, and most states classify the donation as a gift and therefore no longer the property of the person giving the donation, and thus not required to be returned. However, if the funds were donated with... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Divorce and Banking for Oklahoma on
Q: Am I financially responsible for my ex wife’s credit card?

She called me while I was at work and asked if I wanted another credit card. I told her no as I already have 3 personal credit cards and don’t want anymore. When I got home she told me she signed up for the card but didn’t put my name down. The bank account was in my name and which she used to... View More

Brian Boeheim
Brian Boeheim
answered on Dec 16, 2020

It depends on a lot of things. The wording of your decree regarding debt, the timing of the purchases, and whether it is a debit or credit card. I wish I could help you more, but I would hire an attorney to help you clear it up.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Real Estate Law, Banking and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: can a por person had legal counsel for a divorce
Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
answered on Jun 26, 2020


2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Real Estate Law, Banking and Civil Litigation for Oklahoma on
Q: I have a judgment from five years ago that has not been renewed.

I am now trying to get a mortgage and the mortgage Companies underwriters want proof that this judgment is no longer collectible or enforceable. Would I need a lawyer to get that proof or is there any way to get proof that the judgment is no longer collectible?

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on May 24, 2020

You need a lawyer. You shouldn’t for something like this, but unfortunately you do.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Collections and Identity Theft for Oklahoma on
Q: There's been a payday loan taken out in my name, with my SS#, what can I do?

Its not being paid back, and its going on my credit report. What should I do next? How can I prove it is the person that I suspect it to be that is responsible for this? I disputed the mark on my credit report, but I don't know how to prove to them it wasn't me.

William Jaksa
William Jaksa
answered on Oct 20, 2019

Quickly contact PayDay and ask them to preserve the video surveillance from the transactions they claim to have with you. Contact the police and advise them that your identity has been compromised. Contact Equifax and the other major credit reporting agencies and advise that your identity has been... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Banking for Oklahoma on
Q: Do I need an attorney to sue my mother's bank who allowed her second husband to take her money, and close her accounts?

Her 2nd husband made her sign a Prenuptial Agreement. A year ago, my mother granted me, her daughter, Durable power of Attorney for financial management. April 23, 2019, Her 2nd husband filed a Petition to become her guardian and control her assets (breach of the Prenuptial) which I am contesting.... View More

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on May 17, 2019

You definitely do need a lawyer; but not to sue the bank.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Federal Crimes for Oklahoma on
Q: My mother had a payable on death benefit on her savings, checking and cd's. When is the money available to me?

my sister works at the bank. She spent most of the money in the checking before notifying me of the PD.

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on Apr 3, 2019

Not until someone delivers an original or certified copy of your mother's death certificate to an officer of the bank. If your sister is not a beneficiary and is taking money out of any of your mother's accounts that contain payable on death clauses she is stealing; report her.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Probate for Oklahoma on
Q: How long do I have to get a simple affadavit to close a deceased bank account & or will I need to do simplified probate

Not certain which I need to do

Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad
answered on Feb 10, 2019

Banks are required to turn over funds after 5 years of inactivity. Inactivity is defined by statute. You should be good if you are within that time frame. If the assets are $50k or less and there are no unpaid creditors, an affidavit should suffice. Most banks have forms they prefer. If yours... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Oklahoma on
Q: I have been in a dispute against an prepaid visa company. They took $260 og m y money with no explanation. What can i

Do? They denied my first dispute and gave no explanation then they took 110 off of my most recent direct deposit. I just want my money back with answers. Ive called, emailed, and faxed meta bank and nothing is getting done. Im on a fixed income and cant afford mistakes like this

David Humphreys
David Humphreys
answered on May 9, 2018

Hire a lawyer and sue them under either the EFTA and:or the Fair Billing Act.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Divorce and Tax Law for Oklahoma on
Q: My divorce lawyer told me the adultry law had been repealed in the state of Oklahoma so is this accurate?

My ex wife was witnessed stealing my mail to file a joint tax return in which the money was not deposited into an account under my name as well as hacking my checking account to transfer money from accounts she was not on so how do I have her prosecuted for these 3 felonies since these issues were... View More

Gary Johnston Dean
Gary Johnston Dean
answered on Mar 9, 2018

Sorry, but adultery is still a felony in Oklahoma, punishable by up to a $500 fine and/or 5 years. See 21 OK Statutes § 871. Most District Attorneys are not interested in prosecuting these cases however. They're already overloaded with more serious crimes.

You should see your...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Consumer Law for Oklahoma on
Q: I have a bank my mother helped me get. Her name is on the account. I got a loan she did not cosign can they go after her

I signed for the loan not her, she says because she opened the account they will make her pay it, but this isn't an account were talking about its a loan....I can't afford it I need bankruptcy if I pay them a dime I won't be able to do the bankruptcy cuz I'm broke bad...she... View More

David Humphreys
David Humphreys
answered on Jan 22, 2018

your mom is only liable to the extent she puts any of her money in the account. The bank can definitely drain the joint account to pay down the loan.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.