Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Domestic Violence Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Child Custody, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Tennessee on
Q: How do I find out who my child’s doctor is in TN? My child’s father refuses to tell me if my son even has a doctor.

My son has a heart condition that requires annual monitoring and I have no idea if it’s even being treated.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Domestic Violence for Florida on
Q: Can I be abused of kidnapping if the mother got arrested for domestic battery against me? Child is with my mom in Ga

I’m from Ga living in FL and my mother has offered a safe place for my child to go seeing as how the mother of my child got arrested yesterday for violence against me and do not want to be risking it anymore around my child in the same house as well with our names on it. She is now bonded out and... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Oct 9, 2021

I think you mean 'accused of kidnapping". She could accuse you, but it's extremely unlikely that anyone will take the accusation seriously.

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence for Washington on
Q: If I called police because Of threat of domestic violence, they didnt make arrest but do they file report of the call?

I called police on my husband because I was scared for my life, although there were no visible injuries but I had panic attack, so they didnt make any arrest. Do they file report of the call made without charges being pressed? Or they dismiss it and not keep in record? I need a copy of report if... Read more »

Stacie Lynn Naczelnik
Stacie Lynn Naczelnik answered on Oct 15, 2021

The police will often create an incident report. If you called 911, you can request the call records, but they don't keep them for very long, so you should make that request ASAP. The incident reports will remain available, but you will need to request those records directly from the law... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence for Georgia on
Q: I was charged with the family violence act by the state. this is my first time in trouble. What happens now?

My spouse and I got into an altercation that we involved the cops to mediate but turned into me being arrested as the aggressor. I was bonded out and told to make no contact with the victim i.e. my spouse I was also told by a couple cops that I could have my spouse overturn the no contact order by... Read more »

Joshua Schiffer
Joshua Schiffer answered on Oct 7, 2021

You need to be open and honest with your attorney, as the medication issue is HUGE when it comes to mitigation. Your Spouse can also use that information to press the State to treat you properly as much as she does not control whether the state presses charges or not. She may also be able to use... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Domestic Violence for Louisiana on
Q: I just got a tpo on my ex. What happens if he doesn't get served and still harasses

I'm in Louisiana, he's in Georgia.

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Oct 7, 2021

You can get a private process server.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Domestic Violence for Florida on
Q: 18 years married. Domestic abuse. HIS NAME ONLY ON ALL ASSETS. Rights to alimony & half of assets if she divorces him?
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber answered on Oct 6, 2021

What is important is how and when the assets were paid for. If they were accrued and paid during the marriage then they are marital assets regardless of title. The marriage is long enough for alimony. You must next look at one party's financial need and the other party's financial ability... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Domestic Violence and Family Law for California on
Q: offender pleads guilty to abuse on our kid then cps gives mother sole physical legal custody then offender dose a 2

cps closed mothers cps case dismissed and reversed case father then did a 2year class w criminal judge father appears at mothers home committed dv on mother criminal judge dismissed dv even with evidence / witness then the judge was relocated to family court giving offender = custody rights... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Oct 6, 2021

more info needed.

i would either with a lawyer or on my own contact the Presiding Judge and maybe your congressman and local authorities.

0 Answers | Asked in Domestic Violence and Sexual Harassment for Oklahoma on
Q: If somebody is being threatened or harrassed what can you do? (with proof)

My girlfriend baby daddy is harassing n threatening her life I have made a fake number to get specific answers from him and has even said his name through the text n he has responded so I know it’s him but is it enough proof to get a restraining order

0 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Civil Litigation, Domestic Violence and Legal Malpractice for New Hampshire on
Q: Which court is appropriate to report OP counsel misconduct?

OP's counsel communicated with RP while RP retained counsel. What is the best method of reporting violation to court?

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Arkansas on
Q: What to do if a no contact order was issued against me but the other party keeps contacting and coming around me?

I live with the father of my children. We agreed to share a residence with them in hard times. We got in a bad verbal argument and the cops were called. I ended up going to jail for terrorist threatening when I told the police to "please get him out of here or I'm going kill him". I... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence and Family Law for Oklahoma on
Q: pro se what can be filed post judgment protective order if the victim keeps contacting them by Facebook?

Alleged victim filed a report In a different county making false allegations and misrepresentations of her protective order to an officer that caused defendant to be arrested and charged for violation of protection order. Eventually defendant proved there was no probable cause so prosecutor... Read more »

Anna L Self
Anna L Self answered on Oct 5, 2021

I don't know any similar case examples. If there is new evidence that there was no victim, you can file a Motion to Vacate the Protective Order.

0 Answers | Asked in Domestic Violence for Maryland on
Q: Are domestic violence victims who file peace orders and press charges obligated to a lease in MD if they lived w/abuser?

Corporate office said she is free to go but leasing office will not cooperate

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Idaho on
Q: prosecuting attorney hasn’t contacted me to let me know what’s happening with my case. do i need my own lawyer?

i filed a police report against my ex because she kicked me in the head & the state is pressing domestic battery charges against her. she has pre trial in 3 weeks & online in the court repository it said “notice of defense of alibi” does that mean she’s going to say she was never with... Read more »

Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers answered on Oct 5, 2021

You have the right to hire an attorney, if you want to? You are the State's witness and a "victim" pursuant to the Victim's Rights Statute in Idaho. Under that law, you have the right to meaningful notice of how they're handling this prosecution. Be patient, and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Child Support and Domestic Violence for New York on
Q: Where can I find a pro bono attorney to assist me until the divorce settlement is reached and assets are liquidated?

My husband, swiftly and unbeknownst to me, depleted all accounts, cancelled joint credit cards & took possession of joint assets then served me with a divorce action/automatic orders. He has stifled me financially and has since ceased all financial support for myself and our 18 year old... Read more »

Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich answered on Oct 4, 2021

Since the divorce has already started you can't file for support in family court. You should speak to an attorney about his making a motion for counsel fees to represent you as the court will grant your attorney fees to represent you if your husband had the means to make payment. At the same... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence for Ohio on
Q: A couple months ago I called the police and gave a statement that my boyfriend hit me(Pictures were taken)

But I am wanting the charges to be dropped, what are the chances of that happening and how can I go about it without getting myself into trouble?

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Oct 5, 2021

All you can really do at this point is tell the prosecutor you are not interested in pursuing charges. They may drop it. They may not. It may take a very long time.

0 Answers | Asked in Domestic Violence for Nebraska on
Q: My boyfriend was charged with domestic assault in the 3rd degree and it’s his first offense, can I drop the charges

How much time would he get ? He busted my lip just a little bit and it healed the next day

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Child Custody, Child Support and Domestic Violence for Michigan on
Q: I need a good divorce lawyer but looking for a Pro bono one, I'm disabled and have no income.

My husband controls all financial decisions in our lives. I'm also in poor health I can't drive so that's a problem when meeting lawyers or paperwork I need, husband thinks it's funny.

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Oct 4, 2021

Contact your county's legal aid office. Your chances of finding an attorney outside of legal aid to take on a divorce case pro bono is slim to none.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.