Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Louisiana Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Louisiana on
Q: I'm unable to make payment on a chapter 13 bankruptcy. What can happen?

I've had multiple strokes and am now immobile. My only income is SSA. Can my bankruptcy payment be reduced?

W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr. answered on Dec 2, 2021

Yes, your plan payment can be adjusted even after your plan has been confirmed.

Your bankruptcy lawyer should be consulted, and should do the modification for you without further charge.

View More Answers

0 Answers | Asked in Juvenile Law for Louisiana on
Q: My 17 year old daughter has now decided to move out without my consent (left while I was at work) and I do not know

Where she is living except for with a friend from school. I’ve talked to her a few times so I know she is ok but nothing else. What are my options and who should I contact? I do not want to get into any trouble and shes already missed 4 Unexcused days.

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Louisiana on
Q: Can I file a new suit against multiple defendants as described below?

Can I file a petition naming multiple defendants, all owe me monies stemming from the same cause.

There are unpaid judgments against 1 defendant.

Lender, despite repeated requests has not provided documentation for which my funds were used to pay another's debts.... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Louisiana on
Q: What do I do when my mother has been arrested for animal cruelty for my animals but I was feeding and taking care of th

Lost my job so wasn't able to feed them as much as normal so someone called me and saying they was abandon my electricity has been cut off for two weeks so I was staying there and other places but was still feeding and watering my animals daily they have a warrant for me also I'm going to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Louisiana on
Q: Got a divorce in 2014. Home was awarded to ex wife, it is in my name only. How can I get it out of my name?

She doesn't pay it on time and it is ruining my credit.

Douglas Lee Bryan
Douglas Lee Bryan answered on Dec 1, 2021

It sounds as if she was given use of the home, but the property has not yet been split, or partitioned. You should consult with an attorney who handles divorce or property law to discuss filing to partition the community property.

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Louisiana on
Q: Is there a way to get time reduced time when you have4 yrs left to serve ?

My boyfriend has already served 1.5 years and has 4 left on 1st degree attempted murder is there a way to reduce it , he's done 2 good time classes already .

0 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Louisiana on
Q: What would one file to get out of “exclusive use” on co-owned property?

I had a prenuptial agreement stating a separate property regime. I was advised “exclusive use” couldn’t be granted but it was. I thought it would only be until divorce. It’s been a year and I can’t get reimbursed.

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Louisiana on
Q: In Louisiana can a female move out at 17
0 Answers | Asked in Elder Law for Louisiana on
Q: I have poa for my mother and can not get access to her home. What can be done?

My mother's husband will not allow me access to her home. Her house is in her name only and she owned the house when they got married. What can I do to make him give me access?

0 Answers | Asked in Business Law and Mergers & Acquisitions for Louisiana on
Q: What are the rights of a producer if the brokerage where he works sells to another agency whose offer isn't fair?

The purchasing brokerage is lowballing the commission offer.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Louisiana on
Q: Hi I have 3 minor children and I am paying child support on one child as if I only have the one child. I need help

I reside in Ga and the order was filed in Louisiana

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Nov 30, 2021

Hire a child support lawyer who practices in the parish from which the support order is originating. Get certified copies of your pre-existing child support orders.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Louisiana on
Q: Me and a friend had a argument.he's threatened to call the police on me for theft, unless I give him my pressure washer

I found this old pressure washer 5 months ago in the trash, nowhere near my friends home. I' know it didn't belong to him.

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Nov 30, 2021

Ignore him and stay away from him. You know he can't prove it is his because he doesn't have a receipt.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Louisiana on
Q: What steps do I take to be able to move my child out of state? I am the domicile parent
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Nov 30, 2021

1) Get a job offer in writing,

2) Print a review of the new school,

3) Hire a custody lawyer to send the relocation notice, file a Motion and represent you in court.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Real Estate Law, Civil Rights and Health Care Law for Louisiana on
Q: Must I abide to details of a listing agreement?

I was ordered to sign a listing agreement for the partition of co-owned property. I signed the agreement but it has been one month and I have not shown the house due to COVID concerns. I just received a Motion for Contempt. I don’t know if that puts me in contempt since the order only stated I... Read more »

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Nov 30, 2021

You need to agree to requested showings. The CDC concluded that surface transmission was low. Get vaccinated. You can require that anyone looking at the house wear a mask and stay outside yourself until the showing is over. If not, you can be held in contempt.

0 Answers | Asked in Education Law for Louisiana on
Q: Can I file a complaint about not getting a 30 minute duty-free lunch as a public school teacher?

Starting with the COVID outbreak at the beginning of last school year and into this school year, full-time classroom teachers in my school do not receive a 30 minute duty-free lunch. We have to sit and eat in class with our students.

0 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury and Car Accidents for Louisiana on
Q: Can a attorney take fees from a first case out of a second case just because it settled first

So I have a suit which has been going on for 4 years. It just so happened another bad accident happened and I just took the settlement, but found out all filing fees, lifecare plan, medicals etc.) from my first accident are being taken out of my second? Can one do that? I’m being told they need... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Louisiana on
Q: Louisiana court ordered a father to provide medical coverage plus 86% of OOP cost does this mean vision & dental also?

Our court papers say nothing about Vision or dental coverage. The court ordered that the father provides medical coverage and for him to pay 86% of the out of pocket cost for medical and prescription. If not Specified for the father to provide dental and vision insurance does he still have to pay... Read more »

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Nov 30, 2021

He needs to carry health insurance and pay 86% of medical, dental, orthodontic, opthomologic, optometric, psychological, psychiatric and counseling that exceeds the first $250 in any one calendar year per child.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Louisiana on
Q: Can I Request an extension on a family court date, due to my paid attorney not preparing me for a custody trial?

I am in a fight for custody with my 3 children's paternal grandparents. The have filed an emergency temporary custody order against me based on false allegations. After reaching out to multiple law firms in Iberia parish, and being told they could not help me due to conflict of interest, I... Read more »

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Nov 30, 2021

You can ask for a continuance if you or your attorney has a calendar conflict.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.