Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Illinois Civil Litigation Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation, Libel & Slander and Sexual Harassment for Illinois on
Q: Will a charge be brought against me if I unknowingly knew I was speaking to a child on an adult dating sight?

We met on MeetMe. We talked for awhile. It stated on her bio she was of age and concent. I sent her a picture of someone else's penis. Now her Father is trying to sue me when at no point did I ever think I was speaking to a child due to her profile.

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law and Civil Litigation for Illinois on
Q: What can i do

New ownership of a mobile home park that I live in is trying to overbill me for water and sewer because previous ownership got way behind on paying their bills is this legal

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation for Illinois on
Q: Is there a statute of limitations to sue a former employer for pain and suffering?

I reported a manager for harassment and unfair treatment to my former employers HR manager at that time. She spoke to that managers superior and they both decided to make me handle the harassment myself by way of confronting my manager alone and seeing if things changed. I felt this was violating... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Civil Litigation for Illinois on
Q: I'm wondering how I can get my insurance policy my father took when I was underage

In 2017 my grandpa left my siblings and I insurance policies but during that time we were underage so we couldn't get it. My dad went and got our policies and spent it. My siblings and I haven't received a dime of what my grandfather left for us. And I was wondering how do I go about... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts and Consumer Law for Illinois on
Q: I purchased a vehicle from a Nissan dealership, which failed to deliver me a copy of the sales contract.

I live in Illinois and had the vehicle delivered from Wisconsin. All the paperwork was done with a sales rep online via digital delivery. I have reached out to them on multiple occasions to send a copy of the contract and have never gotten one. One day after the attempts to receive the copy of the... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Business Law and Civil Litigation for Illinois on
Q: another company using corporate name

noticed another company in another state has the same business name as I do in Illinois. I registered my name and logo and it is also a dab of an Illinois C corporation. Do I have any recourse?

0 Answers | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Civil Litigation for Illinois on
Q: If I have a registered business name in Illinois, is it good nationwide?

I have an Illinois corporation with assumed business name of Beyond-Basements. I just found out there is a Beyond Basements in Missouri. And we both do construction and remodel basements. Am I protected?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Illinois on
Q: My family received a judgement . But the law firm that was hired is refusing to give the money. What can be done.

The judge order them to payout but they are still refusing. Told the family they dont deserve that amount of money.

Bryan R. Bagdady
Bryan R. Bagdady
answered on Jan 16, 2023

I assume that when you say your family "received" a judgment that you mean that a judgment was entered in your or your family's favor and against some specific defendant or defendants. Obtaining a judgment does not mean that the defendants will voluntarily pay or satisfy the... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation for Illinois on
Q: Is it common practice for coroner to ask family members to move a body?

My uncle passed away on December 31st. Family members were present when the coroner arrived. My uncle was a large man that would require multiple people to carry his body. The coroner had the family members present move his body outside. Is this right? my cousin is traumatized by the situation, so... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Business Law and Civil Litigation for Illinois on
Q: I've been asked to sign a release form, was not explicitly said what I needed to sign or that it had to be notarized.

Know All Men By These Presents, That I/we the undersigned, for the sole and only consideration of One Thousand Seven Hundred and Nine 50/100 (1,709.50) paid to me/us in hand by ABC Corp, the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged, hereby release and discharge, and by these presents do hereby... Read more »

T. J. Jesky
T. J. Jesky
answered on Nov 26, 2022

It seem like ABC corporation wants to pay you $1,709.50 for a release and discharge for some damaged they caused you. This release is a legally binding agreement used to protect ABC Corporation from having you bring further legal action against them for a number of reasons. They want to close... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Illinois on
Q: State Agency Rep committed slander and put Red Flag report on person after 40 second phone call.

SBDC office rep was to transfer me to their office manager to go over business plans for services. The Receptionist spoke to me for 40 seconds. After, transferred me. She then continued to file a State police complaint claiming I was a threat to society. Googled my name, saw images of me over... Read more »

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
answered on Nov 23, 2022

You cannot sue a State Agency in Civil Court. You must sue them in the Court of Claims and then only after filing a Tort Claims Notice (usually within 6 months). That is probably a very bad idea for many reasons, including limited recovery and a long wait time to be paid.

The suggestion...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Civil Litigation for Illinois on
Q: If I have proof that my home insurance has violated our contractual agreement who would I need to speak to, to sue them.
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Oct 16, 2022

An Illinois attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. You could speak with attorneys who handle property & casualty insurance matters. You could also reach out to general civil litigation law firms and ask if homeowners insurance falls under their area of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Municipal Law for Illinois on
Q: In a municipal case in Illinois court outside of Chicago can I use case law from Wisconsin that is similar to help my ca

It is a civil / municipal case where the village did along with the police department a total seizure of our house our property they made our car disappear our two dogs our two cats. They had the police illegally remove 2,175 plus items of our personal belongings from the house and they will not... Read more »

T. J. Jesky
T. J. Jesky
answered on Sep 11, 2022

The short answer is: Yes. If you cannot find a case on point in Illinois and the Wisconsin case is on point, most judges (and it is up to the judge) to allow you to reference another State. Frequently, in Judge rulings if they cannot find applicable Illinois case law, they will cite case law... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Federal Crimes for Illinois on
Q: I would like to file a civil lawsuit against someone for money that was borrowed, fraud, and emotional distress.

I am from Illinois but the individual has moved to New York. The amount is over $10,000. I am currently in litigation with this person for a different matter. If I file a civil suit, would I be able to serve him during our upcoming family court hearing (it's via Zoom)? We both have attorneys.... Read more »

Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko
answered on Aug 9, 2022

You are represented by a licensed counsel and it would be improper to suggest any course of action remotely without any case familiarity or case review by anyone.

Q: Can a coworker obtain a no contact stalking order and us continue to work at the same company, or do I have to quit?

A coworker filed a petition for a no contact stalking, alleging that I have harassed and intimidated them while at work, damaged their property. Coworker has never mention these allegations to our supervisor/HR dept., never made them aware that they were filing a petition. Coworker did not aware... Read more »

Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko
answered on Aug 8, 2022

It appears that you may have to retain counsel to protect your legal interests with respect to that no contact petition that will affect your employment directly.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Divorce, Civil Litigation and Domestic Violence for Illinois on
Q: How do I submit or produce videos at my court trial? What are the rules of evidence to get them in?

How do I submit or produce videos at my court trial?

I have a small claims trial coming up and I would like to know how or what are the rules of evidence to get videos I would like to show the judge in my case.

I have put them in for discovery so the other party does have a copy.... Read more »

Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko
answered on Aug 8, 2022

No attorney will guide you online how to practice law without an ability to supervise and monitor your actions as that would amount to malpractice.

Either seek guidance from requisite legal sources how to admit evidence in court or seek counsel.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Civil Litigation for Illinois on
Q: What are considered disrespectful attorney acts in context of failing to answer a complaint timely?

Illinois appeals cases for default judgements based on untimely answers have generally cut slack to the untimely Defendant it appears. However it does add a caveat that the attorney cannot be disrespectful in doing so.

Is not the fact that the attorney failed in a case to file answer until... Read more »

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
answered on Jun 9, 2022

I'm not really certain as to what you are asking. If you are the client and a default judgment was entered against you, the only aspect of the attorney's conduct that would ever be examined is whether the attorney was able to vacate the default judgment. So long as that is accomplished,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Civil Litigation and Land Use & Zoning for Illinois on
Q: who enforces (765 ILCS 160/) Common Interest Community Association Act when the declaration and covenants aren't honored

I'm the adjacent property to a townhome association and they do not honor their obligations stated in their declaration. Specifically the sections that refer to my property being the Dominant Tenement and various zoning and municipal code ordinances that has actually caused serious damage to... Read more »

Frederick A. Lurie
Frederick A. Lurie
answered on Apr 26, 2022

You provide only general information so one can only provide a general answer. No neither you nor the police can force the Association to furnish you with its insurance policy unless you file suit for property damage, violation of an easement or whatever wrong has been committed. The declaration is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Construction Law for Illinois on
Q: Is it possible to hire an attorney in the middle of a litigation if I am representing myself currently?

I am looking for an attorney to help me with a mandatory arbitration. I had a terrible experience with a law firm. We parted ways. I would like to find someone experienced in construction law as we are in the middle of our process. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Robert Shipley
Robert Shipley
answered on Mar 8, 2022

My office handles construction disputes. I would be happy to discuss. I can be reached directly at 312-527-4545.

Thank you.

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Employment Law and Civil Litigation for Illinois on
Q: Illinois removal from federal court

I am a plaintiff in a case in which the defendant removed the case from state to federal court. It has now been remanded back to state court. Defendants filed a motion to dismiss in fed court which wasnt resolved. Defendants are now seeking to dismiss case in state court based upon the motion to... Read more »

Robert D. Kreisman
Robert D. Kreisman
answered on Feb 26, 2022

I believe that once the federal court is divested of jurisdiction and thus any authority over the pending case, that the motion to dismiss filed in federal court would have to be filed in the state proceeding to heard. That seems to be the case where although the motion to dismiss was filed in the... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.