Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oklahoma Legal Malpractice Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Q: How many days do I have to move after 5 day notice being month to month tenant.And is it legal for tenant to serve it

I was served with the 5 day notice by a fellow tenant

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Gov & Administrative Law and Legal Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Q: Hi my 2007 Acura TL was towed by Claremore auto parts after they arrested me on August 12th 2023.

I got out of jail today 10/31/2023 and called the tow company and they had already filed a title 42 on my vehicle and told me if I wanted to retrieve my vehicle, I needed to come up with $1,800. Is this right?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, DUI / DWI and Legal Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Q: Could my record be expunged early if my lawyer was arrested and surrendered his license?

State of Oklahoma

Lawyer didn’t adequately communicate, failed to appear in court, and failed to perform work for fees charged.

4 client complaint

Arrested in 2006 as well

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Sep 20, 2023

In Oklahoma, the eligibility for expungement of a criminal record is based primarily on the specifics of your case, the type of offense, and the time that has passed since the conclusion of the sentence or probation. The misconduct of your attorney, while a significant concern, does not... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Medical Malpractice, Legal Malpractice and Personal Injury for Oklahoma on
Q: I thinkmy lawyer cheated me out of a large portion of a malpractice settlement. He did not have me endorse the check .

He did not deposit the check into a trust account but into his law firms account. And the check he wrote me came from from his law firm account.

He would not allow me to be on the conference call during settlement negotiations . I think had a fake mediator.

Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik
answered on Jul 25, 2023

All of those points are suspicious for potential lawyer misconduct. While there are portions of settlement conferences where a client may not attend, a case cannot be settled without a client's express consent. The client should be provided with a written breakdown showing the settlement... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Q: What should I do if my lawyer has my settlement check and refuses to give it to me after 30 days In Tulsa Oklahoma?
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
answered on Feb 21, 2023

contact a local lawyer in that state.

just because a lawyer has the money doesn't mean s/he can disburse.

s/he may be waiting for bills or trying to cut bills to get more money FOR YOU.

ask your lawyer what the problem is.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Legal Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Q: Lawyer.told.temp.order.hearing.Judge I passed.on.hearing,but.both.parties. want.mediation.I did

open Cust/pat. 6 months.moms withholding all contact. 3 weeks ago I insisted no more offers, time, no mediation its been 6 months. I need my kids.He filed. Medically i was not ble to be there. I asked him if we can continue it, said he will.he Emailed me: we got the continuance, but.judge.ordered... View More

Gary Johnston Dean
Gary Johnston Dean
answered on Aug 28, 2022

Many courts REQUIRE Mediation before a case is set for trial. This is a good opportunity for you to settle the case. Try to hire an attorney to advise you a" the mediation. Hopefully you can settle your case then. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Family Law, Legal Malpractice and Native American Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Is there is remedy or justice available out there other than Legal Aid for people who have been screwed over

I know Ive heard of Pro Bono but does that service even exists - I was represented by a legal aid attorney recently and I would have been better off representing my self.

Anna L Self
Anna L Self
answered on Sep 1, 2021

Most pro bono attorneys are referred cases that Legal Aid does not have time to handle.

There are very few resources for free legal services other than legal aid unless you are Native American. If you are Native American then you can contact the tribe to see if they have free legal...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Legal Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Q: Hello! I run a small business in OK teaching out of a home and am needing to let an employee go. I need help legally!

If the employee signed an at-will agreement, does that mean I can let them go without explanation? The reason is bc they are causing dissent among staff but there is no real way to prove it. I cannot say they are lying without proof but we know they are due to other facts. Can we fire them for... View More

Charles Watts
Charles Watts
answered on Aug 29, 2021

Regardless of good cause or not, you can still be sued. That doesn’t mean the other person will win but you still have to defend it. As far as Oklahoma is concerned we are an at-will state meaning you can terminate an employee at will, so long as it does not fall under the discrimination... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Legal Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Q: How do i begin to file for a re-sentencing or bring it to the court's attention of an 8th amendment right being violated

Was charged with a crime that should have essential been lowered, is admitting guilt but it should have been a lesser charge,was not made aware of any plea bargins,never made an initial statement, wrong lawyer is on paperwork, mental state and being extremely intoxicated was not mentioned

Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
answered on Jan 31, 2021

The best place to start would be to consult with criminal defense or appellant attorneys that have a lot of experience with post conviction relief. The attorney would need to review your case in detail and then would be able to explain your best options.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Legal Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Q: Can a mistrial be declared if my lawyer lied to the Judge on a case predjudicing him for the following trial?

my attorney told the Judge I was a felon on a probate administration and stopped me from becoming administrator. then the judge is on the bench at a quiet title action with a pre conceived image that I am a felon and I loose the case

Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
answered on Aug 6, 2020

Are you a convicted felon?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Legal Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Q: What information do I need to obtain in order to get proof of my attorneys malpractice
Brian Boeheim
Brian Boeheim
answered on Dec 14, 2019

Not sure what you are asking? If you want to see if they have malpractice insurance, then like any type of insurance, your attorney should have a policy he/she can show you.

If ont he other hand you are speaking of a failure on the attorney's part to do their job, which caused you...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Q: Is it legal for a local city ordinance to be enforced if the ordinance has not been filed thru the county court clerk?

Nor has the ordinance been made available to the residents or anyone for that matter and city hall that enforces the ordinance can't provide a copy of the ordinance even after issueing a citation that exceeds the state law amount for that same citation?

Kyle Persaud
Kyle Persaud
answered on Apr 16, 2019

The ordinance doesn't have to be filed with the county clerk. However, the title of the ordinance does have to be published in the newspaper. Also, the ordinance has to be made available in the office of the municipal clerk (that's different from the county clerk.

Okla. State Tit....
View More

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Legal Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Q: I was arrested and not charged with a crime or 14 days and I wasn't taken before a judge until 15 days later. Can I sue?

I was not taken before a judge with in 72 hrs. It was 15 days later before I ever seen a judge.

0 Answers | Asked in Legal Malpractice and Criminal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Is it legal to be arrested for the same warrant you were just released from jail for for failure to expedite?

I was told that even if you are arrested on a warrant in a different county & sit in jail for the max days they can hold you before being released, for failure to expedite you to the county with the warrant, they are still legally allowed to pick you up right after being released for that same... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Child Custody, Domestic Violence and Legal Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Q: I feel my judge is being biased.

My wife is currently trying to divorce me. I show up at the courthouse with police records and photos proving I was physically assaulted by her. I also had DHS documents proving that she was considered to be neglectful towards our son. She shows up with nothing but her word and tears and my... View More

Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
answered on Apr 4, 2018

Did you have an attorney?

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice and Family Law for Oklahoma on
Q: I had to hire an attorney for my son . Shouldn't his dad be responsible for half ?
Gary Johnston Dean
Gary Johnston Dean
answered on Jun 23, 2017

No. However you can ask him to share the expense, or make an application to the court. You should consult an experienced Family Law attorney for help.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Probate and Legal Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Q: Mentally ill father had someone file a false lien on his home. The attorney is disbarred. What can my family do?

My father is deceased as of Sept of 2015. I have a copy of the forgery. David L Morris was the attorney (who is in jail for other fraud.)

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Aug 30, 2016

Usually you would file an action to quiet title. Suggest you start with contacting a member of the Ok.Trial Lawyers Assn who handles legal malpractice.They give free consultations.

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Q: Can a lawyer help me sue another lawyer?
Howard Berkson
Howard Berkson
answered on Oct 26, 2013

Yes, a lawyer can represent you or assist you in a lawsuit against another lawyer.

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Q: Do district attorney's have the same rules as they are for lawyers? Do they have to take an oath? If so can I get a copy
Mr. Jarod Morris
Mr. Jarod Morris
answered on Mar 28, 2011

District Attorneys are licensed by the Oklahoma Supreme Court the same as any other attorney and must abide by the same rules of professional conduct. If you have a question about the conduct of any attorney, you can call the Oklahoma Bar Association for more information. (405) 416-7000 or... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.