Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Internet Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Environmental, Internet Law and Mergers & Acquisitions for Maryland on
Q: I have been traumatized due to a situation where my spouse and I hippa rights have been violated by the news station .

We have a big lawsuit that needs to be resolved sooner than later I have contacted a lawyer but she is way to expensive. She said I have a very big lawsuit and definitely been traumatized . this is something that will follow our life living here in our town. We only want justice and to live without... Read more »

Joseph D. Allen
Joseph D. Allen answered on Oct 18, 2019

There is no private cause of action for a HIPAA violation- in other words, an individual may not sue for damages based solely on such a violation. However, the Maryland Confidentiality of Medical Records Act does allow a person to sue for recovery of actual damages. It is possible that the same... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law and Internet Law for Florida on
Q: Can I get into legal trouble for using a picture of my ex and I as a blog header?

Hey! So June of 2018 I posted a blog post about an old relationship I had. As the cover photo I used a picture of my ex and I (prom). I never used his name or etc. I recently was contacted by his wife freaking out about the picture that’s been up for over a year now. Can i legally get in trouble... Read more »

Enrico Schaefer
Enrico Schaefer answered on Oct 15, 2019

There is always risk and the devil is in the details. However, there are a couple of issues to consider:

1. Who took the picture? That is the copyright owner. Your use may depend on having the right to use the picture for this purpose. You would likely argue that the photo is subject to...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Internet Law for Virginia on
Q: There is a website using my pictures without permission. What are my options?

I was asked by the founder of a dog rescue to maintain her website. In two years of maintaining that website, I had also taken pictures of the dogs and volunteers at the rescue. Since I was maintaining the website I posted those pictures on the website. The founder all of a sudden, with no... Read more »

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Oct 8, 2019

You can try asking her formally to remove the pictures as they are your property.

Your legal option is possible to sue. Expensive though.

You can recover damages caused by him using the pictures without your approval, but you have to prove that.

You can copyright the photos...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law and Internet Law for Florida on
Q: Looking for an attorney to counter-litigate 8:17-cv-1522-T-33MAP Middle District of Florida

Former employer gave me corporate iphone. Upon separation I was told to keep the iphone (documented via emails).

Iphone settings were never changed, and Microsoft Exchange was attempting to synchronize contacts with corporate Exchange server (standard functionality). User account was... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Sep 30, 2019

If you retained a competent lawyer to defend you in the federal district court over two years ago I am surprised they did not file a counterclaim way back when you answered the complaint--because the plaintiff company might have seen the wisdom of paying your fees when they wanted to settle. In any... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law for Texas on
Q: Can I get in trouble for starting a company that is similar to the one I currently work for?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 22, 2019

It's possible they could sue if you signed a non-compete agreement. More than Internet law, this looks like something closer to employment law. You'd get the most meaningful input from an employment attorney as how not to not afoul of any legal problems if you go out on your own. Good luck... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Internet Law and Sexual Harassment for Virginia on
Q: My ex husband stole my iPhone and hacked my worked social media accounts (I am an entertainer at a Gentleman’s club)

My ex husband stole my iPhone (I let my 7 year old son borrow it for the day and it can only be used on WiFi) my ex husband and or his girlfriend hacked my work social media accounts. I changed my Instagram picture to a NUDE photo of me and put his phone number on my Instagram to try to get the... Read more »

Bryan J. Jones
Bryan J. Jones answered on Sep 18, 2019

You could file a civil lawsuit against him. If you'd like to do that, you should go to your local General District Court and tell them the situation and they will give you the paperwork to file the suit.

If he's stolen your phone, he could be charged with larceny. If he's hacked into your...
Read more »

4 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights, Internet Law and Libel & Slander for California on
Q: Can a person cc'd in email be responsible for the contents?
William John Light
William John Light answered on Sep 11, 2019

Incomplete hypothetical. Depends on what was written, who wrote it, why it was written, at whose request it was written, and perhaps many other factors. There is no substitute for a detailed evaluation of the facts.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Communications Law, Internet Law, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Illinois on
Q: Can my girlfriend use my last name on social media

My gf n i broke up she has my washer dryer and freezer i messaged her to ask when i could come by and get them no answer so i tried instagram and found out she is using my last name and now claiming im harassing her when she never told me to stop nor did she just block me but i told her i would be... Read more »

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Sep 11, 2019



(of relations between people) having a spirit of friendliness; without serious disagreement or rancor.

"there will be an amicable settlement of the dispute"

synonyms: friendly, good-natured, cordial, civil, courteous, polite, easy, easygoing,...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law for Virginia on
Q: Do people have a legal right to have yearbook pictures removed from an online database?

An ancestry site recently announced a searchable yearbook database. No permissions were given and they are somewhat profiting from hosting peoples faces who were minors at the time of the photos.

William Jaksa
William Jaksa answered on Sep 3, 2019

Great question, there are so many issues to examine to determine the answer to this. Who owns the content? Is there an agreement in place? Or are the images in the public domain and thus free game? Start by asking the ancestry site to remove your image and information; there are state and federal... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Internet Law and Securities Law for Washington on
Q: Someone keeps creating online accounts to send me foul messages and harass me, can I do anything about it legally?

My boyfriend’s ex girlfriend keeps creating social media profiles to get in touch with me, and recently the messages have turned threatening and has gotten my family involved. She even hacked into my boyfriend’s Facebook account, and messaged me pretending to be my boyfriend to get a nude photo... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Aug 15, 2019

This is not a securities law question.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Collections and Internet Law for Tennessee on
Q: need some on to do a motion to entry Qdro order for alimony arrears.
Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills answered on Aug 12, 2019

If you are looking for an attorney, you can use this site to search for a family law attorney with experience in QDROs in your area. QDROs can be difficult so you should find someone who has experience in this area.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Criminal Law and Internet Law on
Q: My friend from Hungary sold a digital camera worth £480 and sent it to the uk. as we found out it she got scammed,

she sold the camera to someone in the UK who said she needs to post the camera before they could pay. she posted the camera and later received a few fake emails (clearly fake, spelling mistakes etc) and a fake confirmation email. also received fake emails from the Royal Bank of Scotland asking her... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Aug 7, 2019

Have your friend write up this entire incident and attach whatever documents she may have relating to it, make several copies and send a copy of the complaint to the highest ranking agency in the UK and in Hungary. It may not help her get her camera back but it will give the authorities some... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law, Internet Law and Securities Law on
Q: I need help

good evening i am from Serbia

I'm talking to a red cross doctor, he told me he would send me a value package.

I paid 1,500 euros for the trip. now they asking 9,000 euros for exchange of ownership certificate. the package is from syria i have no one to contact i dont know if this is... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Aug 5, 2019

This sounds suspiciously like some sort of a scam.

Regular advice to all askers: Never send any money to anyone unless you actually know who you are dealing with.

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law on
Q: I just received a notice that my dropbox had been subpoenaed a year ago. Should I be worried?

I have not been contacted by law enforment or anyone since the compliance by Dropbox. It's been a long time so I'm wondering if the case would be even still open at this point.

Stop following question

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Aug 3, 2019

Yes you should still be worried. Many Felonies have multiple year Statutes of Limitations. You might check various Felonies in your State that you feel might affect you, and check out the respective SOLs. Within

the SOL, Law Enforcement/Prosecutors must initiate a criminal charge.

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Intellectual Property and Internet Law on
Q: Fair use to generate transcripts of others' YouTube videos for purposes of research?

I am a doctoral candidate conducting research on social media, specifically the YouTube platform. Is it fair use for me to prepare transcripts of publicly accessible YouTube videos that I am not the creator of for the purposes of research? The transcripts will not be re-sold, but strictly used for... Read more »

Warren V. Norred
Warren V. Norred answered on Aug 1, 2019

This appears to be a classic Fair Use and if you aren't using it for commercial purposes, the factors of Fair Use should lean toward allowing your use. My initial two cents is that you are fine.

I'd probably want to give credit to Youtube and the content creators in your research.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Civil Rights and Internet Law for Michigan on
Q: My Ex-wife and I that live together have been constantly harassed for 6yrs,online,public and want it to stop. How?

I divorced my 1st wife in 2012, married my current ex-wife in 2014 and my 1st ex and my daughter(18) keeps harassing in public, online, my own family now involved and all their friends. I have had cease and desist letters sent out, told them I don't want contact and they still do. Have posts all... Read more »

Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi answered on Jul 25, 2019

The 'solution' would seem to be a personal protection order. Investigate that to determine if you have enough evidence to proceed with a local family law attorney.

That said, appreciate that a PPO is only a court order. If your ex continues to violate that order, it would require further...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Internet Law on
Q: Hi, my question is about legal pages on a new website.

I am starting a chatting website and i would like to know if the online templates for privacy policy, cookies, disclaimer and term and conditions will cover me for the first running period.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 20, 2019

As a general matter, many attorneys would probably agree that on small sites, these items don't differ significantly from one site to another; there are only so many ways to reinvent the wheel. However, it could still be difficult for an attorney to give a blanket approval to a template package you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Communications Law, Identity Theft and Internet Law on
Q: Crime related to hacking someone's account/phone, spying/stalking, and receiving threats about posting private pics of u

What kind of crime will you commit if you hacked into someone’s account, spy on them, invading your privacy, and giviving them threats that if you don’t do what I want I’m gonna posts your private photos something like that. I’m dating this girl and she has this weird creepy as ex-boyfriend... Read more »

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Jul 14, 2019

What state did this occur in?

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Banking, Civil Litigation and Internet Law for New Mexico on
Q: I am being billed monthly, and CitiBank is paying over my objections, for a service I haven't used since 2016.

When I call the number listed for the invalid bill on my Citi statements, they hang up on me with no discussion. The email address on their website doesn't work.

Regardless, Citi says I need to communicate with the vendor to stop charges. I can't communicate with them and haven't received... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 8, 2019

FYI: You are fighting the "triangle" battle that very few--if any--bank customers can ever hope to win. But as a former bank operations officer, I will tell you the easiest and most effective way to win and stop the monthly bleeding:

Close your account at Citi Bank--and do not open up a...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.