COVID-19 Civil Litigation Q&A by State

Your current state is Virginia

US Territories

  • Puerto Rico

Show More States »

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Civil Litigation Questions & Answers
3 Answers | Asked in Employment Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for California on
Q: How do I request an exemption?

My employer has switched from voluntary to mandatory vaccination offering religious/medical exemptions.

Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen answered on Sep 6, 2021

If you have a medical condition that prevents you from taking the vaccine, get a doctor's note indicating as much and present it to your employer.

If you have a closely held religious belief that prevents you from taking the vaccine, you will need to present that information to your...
Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Probate for Ohio on
Q: I lived with my fiancé for 17 years. We ran a business together out of the house for the last 11 years. She died.

She left the house to her sister. I knew that. However, they took the business name and accounts and took control of the business PO Box and all incoming checks and entered them into probate in Greene Co. Ohio. I subsequently had to file all necessary paperwork and obtain a new federal EIM and new... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Jul 19, 2021

If there is an operating agreement or partnership agreement for the company, you could make a claim for your share of the ownership. If any of your personal property was removed from the house, you could make a claim for return of that. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney to... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Arizona on
Q: The person we had TEMPORARILY caring 4 our dog as we searched for a place to live, is trying to keep him. What can I do

Someone had been watching our dog as we looked for a place to live. Among other things, the pandemic prolonged the time it took to do so (4 months). Right before we were to contact the guy to get our dog, he randomly texted and said he killed the dog and threw him in the fire. Devistated, we... Read more »

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Jul 2, 2021

Unfortunately, it is not as easy as merely requesting a civil standby. I have not filed a case like this personally, but I believe you should be able to file a case in justice court instead of at the superior court level since all you are seeking is possession of the property (dog). The fees will... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Ohio on
Q: Can I be evicted during covid
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Jun 7, 2021

Yes, a tenant can be evicted. The CDC imposed a moratorium, but only for non-payment of rent - not for other reasons. That expires on June 30,2021, but some courts have ruled that it is unconstitutional. So tenants can be evicted. Check with your local court.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Virginia on

LL wont cooperate with Tenant in COVID Rent Relief Pgm (Reqd by Va and CDC Moratorium Rules)

Managed to get Eviction DISMISSED BUT:

How can I force them to cooperate with RRP before resource pool is depleted!

F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof answered on May 1, 2021

The likelihood to force anyone to do anything these days is slim to none. You may be able to file a formal complaint against the landlord with the Office of the Virginia Attorney General in Richmond, VA.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Rights, Federal Crimes and Civil Litigation for California on
Q: Can I pursue federal court case against many neighbors engaged in harassment/threats of violence to family and I ?

Things started with neighbor whom moved out with harassment towards my family and I. A friend living across street from him then continued to do the same to us depriving us of peace in our own home. This is 24/7 and has been ongoing for over a year at least. Things have escalated, they’ve... Read more »

John Karas
John Karas answered on Apr 22, 2021

In order to file a lawsuit in Federal District Court, there has to be "diversity of citizenship" (meaning you live in 1 state while the defendants live in another). The amount of damages also has to be in excess of $75,000.

From what you've described, you have several...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for California on
Q: Where can I find an attorney that will take a prisoners rights case that contains deliberate indifference?

The incident involves State prison and correctional health executives transferring over 100 prisoners from a Covid19 Hotspot to another facility that had no Covid19 cases. I was among those at the receiving facility who then became ill as a result of that transfer. The executives acted with... Read more »

Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on Apr 10, 2021

You can find many good law firms in and around Oakland and San Francisco who are experts in civil rights cases of the kind you describe. It seems you already have developed a good bit of evidence to support your case. I suggest you prepare a chronology of the events, if you haven't already... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Medical Malpractice for Michigan on
Q: I was invited abroad as one of three finalists for a lucrative job. My doctor's office gave me the wrong COVID test.

The potential employer paid for my ticket. I was informed at the check-in counter that I wasn't allowed to fly because I had received the wrong COVID test. I went through four rounds of interviews to get to the finalist stage. When they found out I couldn't fly, the organization... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Mar 24, 2021

Interesting facts...I think the damages would be a bit speculative: as you stated, you weren't guaranteed the position, and otherwise suffered no expense (other than time, etc.). And even if you were able to overcome that hurdle, I would think those damages would be mitigated by your current... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Civil Litigation for Georgia on
Q: Who gets the benefits for Covid relief and dependent tax credit due to custody change in year 2020. See more details!

My ex ended up claiming the kids on taxes and received all the COVID relief money 1st, 2nd, and it looks like the 3rd. Below is the history and im looking for who is the rightful owner of this. Also Ive tried discussing it with the other party several times and the reply i get is "not up for... Read more »

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards answered on Mar 8, 2021

If you have primary custody, you can claim the children as dependents. You can't do anything about the COVID relief money. If your ex owes you child support since September, you can file a contempt for that.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Domestic Violence for South Carolina on
Q: My mom owns her house and wants her boyfriend to move out because he has been drugging/stealing from her.

How do we go about this legally and without him hurting her? She's scared when she tells him to leave that he's going to get angry and try to hurt her. The last time she called the police on him, he told the police they were married and made it seem like she had mental issues, which she... Read more »

Jonathan Edmond Bennett Lewis
Jonathan Edmond Bennett Lewis answered on Jan 25, 2021


We are sorry to hear about these problems that your mother is having. No one should ever feel unsafe in their home.

The first thing that you should do is go down to your County Family Court, and speak to the Clerk of Court there. Tell them that you need an emergency...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for New Jersey on
Q: Can my employer be held accountable for possibly infecting me with covid for not quaranting after international travel?

He did Not quarantine, and said he got a 24hr test done at a place I know does not offer that service. Only 2-4 days due to it being a public testing facility. Also a few people also became ill immediately after his arrival.

H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq. answered on Jan 24, 2021

You can sue anyone, but can you prove that you got covid from him and not someone else such as when you wen to the supermarket for food. This would be the defense your employer would probably assert. Not that you shouldn't try and you may also be entitled to workers compensation insurance.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Florida on
Q: Schedule a Special Set Hearing

I have been attempting to schedule a special set hearing for a Motion to dismiss for a few months, but the opposing party continues to state they have COVID 19 complications and will not be able to present their opposing motion. Can I schedule the hearing? Or do I have to wait for the opposing... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jan 19, 2021

These are very unusual times--and thus require using unusual means to get things done in the judicial system.

I suggest re-filing your motion as an "Unconsented Amended Motion to Dismiss" together with a SEPARATE motion requesting a hearing date be set. Explain at the very onset...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Florida on
Q: Motion for an extension due COVID 19

The plaintiff would like to schedule a special set hearing, but my husband has contracted COVID 19 and is not able to participate in a hearing. I am attempting to assist so he does not lose the case. Do I have to select a date for him since he is not doing well due to COVID 19 or should we contact... Read more »

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron answered on Jan 17, 2021

The first step is to ask the other side to agree to a later date. If they agree, the problem is solved.

If they don't agree, and the other side goes ahead and notices the hearing, your husband would need to file a motion for continuance (postponement) of the hearing, and, if...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation for Florida on
Q: Motion for Enlarged Extension?

I had a special set hearing scheduled and the plaintiff filed a motion for an enlarged extension of time due to COVID 19. Can I make the plaintiff produce medical documentation if I believe they are lying and just attempting to delay the hearing?

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jan 12, 2021

No. Teaching opportunity: The last thing any court wants to see in pro se litigation are pro se litigants expanding

very simple disputes into major litigation. You are trying to do something that (a) is not helpful to your case; (b) does not matter; and (c) might anger the judge. You can...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Civil Litigation, Constitutional Law and Education Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: Is there any legal recourse for my child's School failing to educate him during the pandemic, inadequate communication

They didn't properly instruct him on how to use the online learning

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jan 2, 2021

A Pennsylvania attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for three weeks. It does not seem like something that an attorney would handle as anything other than an hourly basis, and you probably don't want that. This issue is occurring nationwide and children are having... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Kansas on
Q: Employment and Covid related laws in the state of Missouri

It was within my 90 days probationary so I’m probably screwed but there was a number of days that I was out due to either quarantine order and childcare being closed due to Covid and I am I was told the entire time that nothing Covid related would count against me I was reassured and then they... Read more »

Kyle Anderson
Kyle Anderson answered on Dec 31, 2020

Does your employer have less than 500 employees? The Families First Coronavirus Response Act requires employers with less than 500 employees to provide to all employees two weeks (up to 80 hours) of paid sick leave at the employee’s regular rate of pay where the employee is unable to work because... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation and Contracts for Alabama on
Q: Hi We cancelled our wedding due to covid. The wedding planner contract says she can keep all money paid to her.

My mother has paid 1500 of a 2000 contract. 500 of that was after we already expressed worries about the date. The wedding planner was contracted for day of services, photography, videography, flowers, photo booth, dj, invites, and some decorations. I never got anything that she was supposedly... Read more »

Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman answered on Nov 18, 2020

If the contract is governed under Alabama law, you should look at the contract itself. ALabama is a very conservative state in terms of contract law. The terms of the contract will govern, and courts are very reluctant to decide that this is just unfair to you. You should hire a lawyer in the state... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts and Civil Litigation for Florida on
Q: Can I get a refund on a cancelled vacation rental property?

We live in Illinois. We booked a vacation rental property on Captiva Island for Mar 28-Apr 4, 2020. The rental was facilitated VRBO; actual booking was with Dream Vacation Rentals (DVR). We cancelled due to Covid. The Illinois governor issued a "no leisure travel" order on March 20.... Read more »

Richard Paul Zaretsky
Richard Paul Zaretsky answered on Nov 16, 2020

This is a great question.

And actually the answer is simple.

Did the seller of the service perform? No.

Did you prevent the seller from performing? No.

Did you pay for a service and not receive it? Yes.

You are entitled to a full refund.

It gets...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Oklahoma on
Q: I want to ask a judge to vacate their own judgment given on Sept. 24 2020, what day must motion be submitted by?

This is a case in Oklahoma regarding a quiet title claim. All 3 defendants were at court house and declined entry by security due to no masks (no signage etc existed stating masks required) they at first refused to provide masks then wile waiting for masks to be retrieved from car, security brought... Read more »

James Tack Jr
James Tack Jr answered on Oct 24, 2020

Motions to vacate generally must be filed within 30 days after the filing of the judgment, provided the judgment was mailed to the parties within 3 days. After the 30 day time period, requests to vacate must be done by petition. If the 30 day time period falls on a Saturday or Sunday, you have... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Consumer Law, Contracts and Entertainment / Sports for Massachusetts on
Q: Fitness training company charging me for services that were not provided. What are my options?

I signed up for personal fitness training with a company for 6 months from Dec-2019 to May-2020 ($600 for each month & 10 sessions each month). No services were provided between Mar 2020 to May 2020 due to COVID. The company was not reachable on phone during that time for cancellation enquiry.... Read more »

Christopher Tolley
Christopher Tolley answered on Oct 9, 2020

Most lawyers' rates would make legal representation impractical. Look carefully at your contract and see what your options are. Contact your credit card company and have them stop the automatic payments. I suggest you consider filing a small claims suit yourself. If nothing else, it will get... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.