Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Alabama Gov & Administrative Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Alabama on
Q: What is the maximum sentence for someone who escapes from furlough in the state of Tennessee?

My husband escaped from furlough in Tennessee. I'm trying to find out how long his since could be if he's convicted

Don Oliver Keene
Don Oliver Keene
answered on Jun 5, 2023

If he was convicted in Tennessee, you should reach out to a Tennessee Attorney. It depends on what he was convicted for, how much time was left on his sentence, etc. There are a lot of variables and there is no way of knowing without all the facts of his case.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Alabama on
Q: What can I do if I was mishandled by a security and an employer handcuffed and after viewing of the footage released.
Allan Lamar Armstrong
Allan Lamar Armstrong
answered on May 9, 2023

You need to provide more information. Were you an employee or customer. What was the reason? Were you arrested? What were your injuries?

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Workers' Compensation and Employment Law for Alabama on
Q: Hi, I am an LLC looking to hire remote workers throughout the country. Would we need to file a foreign llc in each state

Would we need to file a foreign LLC in any state that we conduct business. We are hiring them as independent contractors. Also would we need to have worker's compensation?

N'kia (NLN)
N'kia (NLN)
answered on Mar 25, 2023

Each State has its own rule on what constitutes "doing"/"conducting" business for the purpose of determining whether an out-of-state business must register there as a "foreign" entity. Having an employee in a particular State may be, but isn't always, a factor in... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Alabama on
Q: I’m in Alabama I am willing to start a business here i have k EFIN and LLC in Alabama. How do i acquire a beer license

I am willing to own a gas station

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Feb 26, 2023

In Alabama, businesses that sell beer or other alcoholic beverages are required to obtain a license from the Alabama Alcoholic Beverage Control Board (ABC).

To apply for a beer license, you will need to follow a series of steps and provide certain information and documentation to the ABC....
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Collections, Constitutional Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Alabama on
Q: Hello! This question is in regards to15 U.S. Code § 1681a - Definitions; rules of construction

As far as exclusions, it states your consumer report does not include a report containing information solely as to transactions or experiences between the consumer and the person making the report; does that mean that late payments on your credit report are illegal?

Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
answered on Jan 12, 2023


1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Family Law, Civil Rights and Gov & Administrative Law for Alabama on
Q: What are my rights with DHR?

In August, I fled an abusive relationship, from NC, with the father of my children. I returned to my hometown. Having no other options at the time, my children and I ended up in a tent for around two weeks. The children slept on mattresses inside the tent, fully clothed, and covered with blankets.... View More

Hayden Glass Sizemore
Hayden Glass Sizemore
answered on Dec 30, 2022

You should hire an attorney. You are not required to submit to DHR requested drug screens. However, if you refuse, DHR will often use that to justify removing the children. If so, you will have a 72-hour hearing and you should request an attorney be appointed to represent you at the 72-hour... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Real Estate Law for Alabama on
Q: I am having problems with a county agency over a drainage ditch behind my house.

I'm having problems with a drainage ditch behind my house. Stormwater is cascading from the ditch onto my property cause severe soil erosion to the point my shed near the ditch is about to collapse into the ditch. The public works department says it is the water works problem and water works... View More

William Vann Burkett
William Vann Burkett
answered on Jan 7, 2022

You likely need an attorney who handles eminent domain or inverse condemnation cases. The Alabama Supreme Court has found that in some cases excessive runoff and erosion may result in an unconstitutional taking. The viability of inverse condemnation claims are highly dependent on the timing and... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Election Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Alabama on
Q: Can a sheriff in an active election campaign threaten to fire his deputies if seen talking to any of his opponents?

This sheriff threatened to fire anyone seen talking to a particular individual that contributed to his opponents campaign also. The same sheriff in last election threatened to terminate anyone that he found that didn't vote for him? Are these things election violations? I was told possibly... View More

Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
answered on Aug 10, 2021

Please understand that I do not practice law in GA and will not pretend to know Georgia law or specific Georgia election statutes. However, the question I would pose is: is Georgia a "right to work" state? Another question might be: does Georgia law prohibiting harassment apply to... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Gov & Administrative Law and Juvenile Law for Alabama on
Q: Can a minor be placed on a national watchlist? Or any watchlist in general?


Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Jun 23, 2021

You say "any watchlist"-- a minor can be a person of interest to criminal justice agencies.

A minor could be on a no fly list.

If you are concerned that you are, you would want to avoid social media of any type, limit emails, and consult with a criminal defense attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Alabama on
Q: As my unjustly TPR without due process hearing was in session the judge was chowing down thoughts?
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Jun 19, 2021

I don't see it but I suggest you contact Legal Aid, ask to talk to someone in the administrative law , By the way, explain what TPR is. I don't think it's "total physical response."

many times benefits judges can't leave the bench so the Judge may have to eat...
View More

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Alabama on
Q: Why my AL DL says FN? My previous ones used to be normal. Have Permanent Residence card for 30+ years.

2009 Alabama Code



Section 32-6-10.1 Foreign national Alabama driver's license /non-driver identification card/vessel license.

Section 32-6-10.1

Foreign national Alabama... View More

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
answered on May 6, 2021

Because the current elected officials of the State of Alabama likely have some misperceptions about immigrants and want to label you.

If you don’t like the label, complain to your ‘State’ representative and Senator. What it is doing ‘may’ be against Federal law in that it may...
View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Criminal Law and Animal / Dog Law for Alabama on
Q: Someone found puppies in the woods in TN & I live in AL. Can I take these puppies across state lines?

I agreed to come get the puppies so they were safe. He gave me his address and told me to come get them. Now someone else is wanting them so they are threatening me with court and police. Is there anything they can do since I have proof he told me to come get them and gave me his address?

Kristina M. Bergsten
Kristina M. Bergsten
answered on Jul 18, 2020

If you have agreement with the owner of the puppies that the puppies are yours, then they are yours. You can travel across state lines but make sure you have the proper health documents, too.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Gov & Administrative Law for Alabama on
Q: can the government force me to liquidate all me assets before I am able to receive medicaid support?
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on May 29, 2020

They can't FORCE you to do so, no, but they can deny benefits until you are eligible. Do yourself a HUGE favor and schedule an appointment with an experienced elder law attorney in your area. Elder law attorneys are good at helping people attain Medicaid eligibility in the shortest amount of... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Alabama on
Q: What is the best approach to filing a appeal with ninth circuit Court of appeals?

What type of attorney would I need when dealing with this type of case?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Dec 19, 2019

It would depend on what the matter involves; your posted categories cover several areas. Find an attorney who handles appeals in the area that your case involves. You could look up attorneys on this site or through your own independent searches. Without knowing anything about the subject matter of... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Tax Law and Legal Malpractice for Alabama on
Q: I have received a letter from the State of Alabama Dept of Revenuel Notice of Preliminary Assessment for the year 2010.

Received a letter when I filed these taxes that I had filed to late to receive a return. Filed through Liberty tax service who did not file 2013 taxes till 2017. Don't understand what is going on or what to do, Can you help

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn
answered on Aug 13, 2019

You only have a certain period of time to file a return claiming a refund or else you forfeit the refund. It sounds like you filed a return too late to claim the refund and the state tax department is notifying you of that. There's nothing you can do about the refund. You may have recourse... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Gov & Administrative Law for Alabama on
Q: Do I have a case against county jail for having me sleeping on floor now I have bad back pain
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Oct 19, 2018

You could consult with an Alabama attorney, but it would be a difficult case. The attorney would likely want to see medical records to substantiate the pains described.

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Traffic Tickets for Alabama on
Q: Stopped for a routine license and insurance check. Valid NM license exp 2020, AL tag, POI shown.

NM tag due to attending college in NM. Tag AL bc mother owns title and AL resident. Why was a ticket given and charged with court date for a suspended license? Everything is current and no traffic citations current. New insurance recently, no issues. What recourse is possible?

Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
answered on Sep 14, 2017

Please try this question again and give a few facts. Was your license suspended? Did you go to court? Can you show that your license was not suspended? Did you have valid insurance when you were stopped? Please ask again and tell EXACTLY what happened. Just the facts.

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Alabama on
Q: How do I change my first and middle name?

I was wondering what would the process be for me to legally change my first and middle name. I am currently in the military stationed at Fort Drum, NY, but my home of records is in Alabama.

Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
answered on May 2, 2017

Name changes are done where you reside. In NY, there are forms online you file with the court in your county. It is meant to be done yourself.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.