Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
New York Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for New York on
Q: Can my wife just come take whatever she wants?

My wife left me in feb 2022, she moved into an apartment in March 2022, she came and took clothes on 2 occasions and I even let her take some furniture. She said she has file for divorce. She now wants to come and take whatever she wants. I still live in the family home with 2 of our grown sons. Is... Read more »

Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
answered on Aug 13, 2022

She can only take things if you agree to it otherwise the division of ALL assets are by court order or agreement.

0 Answers | Asked in Construction Law for New York on
Q: The people who did construction in my house 2 years ago refuse to come for their equipment. Am I able to sell it ?

Previous home construction. The construction guys make excuses to not come for their equipment. I have contacted them multiple times and still no success. It has been over 2 years. I need my garage space back and considering selling the equipment to assist with more needed home renovations.

0 Answers | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for New York on
Q: What proves ownership of a dog? Adoption paperwork or vet bills and coty registration?

Feb 13 2017 dog was a gift from bf. Split in Aug 2020, dog went back and forth until Aug 2022. He put the dog in his vehicle and said that he is done sharing and that his name is on the adoption paperwork so good luck. Also I work from home and do all vet appts and grooming for the dog as well.

0 Answers | Asked in Probate for New York on
Q: What does a Voluntary Administrator of a Small Estate do - when one of two named beneficiaries - refuses to communicate.

This beneficiary is entitled to half of decedents tangible personal property - but refuses to communicate or participate in a process to divide the personal property (and a small amount of cash) . Can't get her to officially disclaim inheritance either. No responses to email / postal mail.

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Domestic Violence for New York on
Q: Hi, I have a Order of prot. Against my ex. We have a court a month from now. What will happen during the next court Date

We have a baby together. The baby is currently under only my care. The order of protection is solely for me. What will happen during the next court date? He will appear in court and I will be on the phone.

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights for New York on
Q: if you asked a customer a general question can threaten to call ice and say your hassering them when you really arent

she was black and i am white and i dont even say anything

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights for New York on
Q: Can I sue Mayor of the city I live in with a Civil case for Fraudulently lying to me a retired missionary RN moved to PR

Post Maria in Puerto Rico involved major debris clean up. My brother happened to be standing by the wall the date the contracted crew did the damage to my wall when removing neighborhood debris. He was instructed to fill out local police which he did dated 12/2017. Then in 04/2018 when my... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Libel & Slander for New York on
Q: If I get sued for defamation of character for exposing a bully on TV/social media, would I lose the lawsuit?

This is a hypothetical situation, if I choose to expose my bully on a TV platform or a social media platform, but I don't have recordings or proof of the bullying happening, but the bully doesn't have proof they did *not* bully me, would I lose a defamation of character lawsuit against... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law for New York on
Q: NY Child support arrears: Will my ex be obligated to pay it all? Can he somehow have it "forgiven"?

NY Child support arrears: Will my ex be obligated to pay it all?

A child support order was entered in Queens County when my daughter was 7. My ex was one of those who always worked for cash, never had a bank account and assets were put in his family members names. I never received any child... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law for New York on
Q: I am a certified minister in the state of NY. My niece asked me to perform her wedding ceremony in May of 2023.

It will be in Lancaster county Pennsylvania

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant, Real Estate Law and Probate for New York on
Q: My Sister in Law and I are Tenants in Common. The house is filled with the personal property of original owner.

This house passed to us immediately upon the death of the Life Tenant - outside if probate. An Executor or Adminstrator has not yet been appointed by the Surrogates Court. The personal property contained within the house must eventually be distributed to the beneficiaries in the former owners will.... Read more »

Jack Mevorach
Jack Mevorach
answered on Aug 9, 2022

I wouldn't. The house should be secured by the fiduciary and then the personal property can be inventoried.


1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for New York on
Q: Hello, I take my HOA to court for maintenance that is causing damage to the inside of my unit for the second time.

I am scheduled to appear in small claims court August 16, 2022 with the management company because they continue to tell me air coming into my unit from the foundation is my responsibility. After I filed the claim and received a date I discovered water intrusion, notified the management company and... Read more »

Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay
answered on Aug 9, 2022

Since Small Claims is only authorized to make monetary awards, you may not be able to obtain the proper relief in the case you initiated there. Issues with a Boards obligations to make repairs may require injunctive relief which you can obtain in Supreme Court, where you are best represented by... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate and Real Estate Law for New York on
Q: I and my Sister in Law are Tenants in Common. House immediately passed to us outside of probate after my mother passed.

I am also awaiting the Surrogates Court appointment as the Voluntary Administrator of her Small Estate (I am the named Executor in her will). Its been two months - courts seem backlogged - and can provide no estimates to this appointment - so I can't distribute property to beneficiaries yet. I... Read more »

Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
answered on Aug 9, 2022

If she has joint title with you, she gets equal access. Thus, you cannot prevent her entry. If there are personal items to secure, remove them to another location. Unless the items are titled in some way, no one can ever determine who owns what.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for New York on
Q: Hello, I live with my elderly, disabled mother in a rent stabilized apt.

Hello, I live with my mother in a rent stabilized apt. Unfortunately i was let go from my job during covid and got backed up on my rent. I had to quit my new job also because i was accepted into nursing school. My mother is disabled and on dialysis. My name is on the lease. My question is, can we... Read more »

Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay
answered on Aug 9, 2022

There are many available services to assist tenants with avoiding eviction based upon age or disability status. However, neither age nor disability status bar evictions for nonpayment of rent

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for New York on
Q: What are the requirements to sponsor a person from out of the U.S.? (belize)

I want to sponsor a person from another country> however, I don't know what the US requirements are?

Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko
answered on Aug 8, 2022

Go to the USCIS site at In the right top corner type: I-134 (Affidavit of support), after that scroll down to the line "instructions" where you may learn all requirements for that affidavit of support.

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Business Law for New York on
Q: What type of Attorney Represents a Victim of Premeditated Fraud From a "Relationship Predator" for Huge Financial Gain?

Everything he said was a Con...From His Army Service to His Marital Status...His Conning His way into my Home and Living off me with no intention of paying Me back. He worked his con game to get his name on to my Deed. First Mortgage Payment in April 2022--Default. I Caught him in his... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.