Uncategorized Questions & Answers

Q: If a tire shop sells you tires with dry rot on them, is that illegal?

2 Answers | Asked in Uncategorized for Georgia on
Answered on Nov 12, 2018
Seth Meyerson's answer
It may be negligence (civil liability). Did the tires fail? Did it cause you damages? Is there a warranty on the tires.

Q: Can a person be denied for residency in Illinois because of a conviction in 2009 for theft.?

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Illinois on
Answered on Nov 5, 2018
Edward X. Clinton, Jr's answer
No. The law does not allow the State to deny you residency. Landlord has the right to deny you a place to rent, however.

Q: Am I allowed to audio and video record on my property? I have posted signage to that effect. My neighbor threatens us.

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Oct 28, 2018
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Threats you should discuss with the police. Be accurate--"that's what he meant" or "that's what I took it to mean" aren't the same as "this is what he said"\

Note the time, date, and the words used in the order they were said.

Your property you can record as you wish--you don't need to put up notices.

If you need a cease and desist letter, talk to an attorney in your county who used to work for the DA's office.

Q: How would you recommend for an undergraduate student to get started on preparing for the LSAT. Thank you!

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for West Virginia on
Answered on Oct 14, 2018
Timur Akpinar's answer
Do some research on the respected companies offering review courses and find out which ones fit within your budget and schedule. Look into the quality and size of their test banks. You could learn techniques from good instructors, but preparation for the exam is largely a matter of doing lots of practice exams, and TIMING yourself as you do them. If a course is out of your budget, there are self-study resources out there. But if you have the budget for a course, a good course could be valuable....

Q: I won my case in court in 2013, but I have not received a dime in years. How can I get my money when the person does not

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Maryland on
Answered on Oct 13, 2018
Mark Oakley's answer
That’s pretty much it. Getting a judgment is just half the battle. Collecting it is the hardest half. A money judgment in MD is enforceable for 12 years, and earns 10% simple interest per year. Before the expiration of the 12 year term, you can file a written request/notice to renew the judgment for another 12 years. So, you’ve got 24 years to wait for this debtor to get a job, inherit assets, etc.

Q: I want to know if a hotel owner is responsible for reimbursement of belongings after hotel fire?

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Michigan on
Answered on Oct 10, 2018
Brent T. Geers' answer
Possibly not. Most insurance policies cover the hotel's building and facilities, and medical expenses for guests as the result of the incident. Have you tried filing a claim with your insurance carrier?

Q: Are there lawyers that take on auto ins comp. For comprehensive claims

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized on
Answered on Oct 10, 2018
Timur Akpinar's answer
I don't practice in Florida, but your question hasn't been picked up in two weeks. There probably are such attorneys. But if the matter involves a dispute outside the realm of accident litigation, where it would have been handled as a typical liability claim, an attorney might not necessarily handle it on a contingency basis. It can depend on the size of the dispute and the cost of litigating it.

Tim Akpinar

Q: In Indiana if a family member stays and is told to leave and they won’t they are not paying rent how do I get them out

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Indiana on
Answered on Sep 23, 2018
T. J. Jesky's answer
The first step is to have a serious talk with the family member, i.e., either pay rent or move out. If that fails,

the next step is to give them an ultimatum. Give them a specific deadline and state that they have to be completely moved out by then. You can offer to assist them in finding a new residence. Ask you other family members for their support in speaking with these unwanted relatives. Perhaps there are some other family members that will take them in. Be clear in...

Q: Hello, is it possible to collect statistics of courts decigions by specific article of law and specific year? And how?

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized on
Answered on Sep 23, 2018
Timur Akpinar's answer
If you are using any legal database, you could run searches for the year of a court decision and laws. Depending on the database, you could get the law, statute, or penal code, but sometimes not in the exact context you’re searching for it, for instance as a footnote in an unrelated case. Keep in mind prices can vary with the various tools, and some can be expensive to use. If you are near a law school, you could ask them if they would let you use law library resources as a courtesy. You...

Q: If I refuse to go to court on a civil warrant what can happen after that ?

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Tennessee on
Answered on Sep 20, 2018
Anthony Marvin Avery's answer
More than likely a Default Judgment for money will go down against you. The Judgment Creditor can then require you to go to Court to give sworn testimony where your money is, or go to jail for Contempt. Go to the Court Hearing.

Q: I was in a car crash last night and i was past cerfew do i have to tell the po or does. He get a report anyway

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for New York on
Answered on Sep 17, 2018
Timur Akpinar's answer
If this involves parole curfew, you could post the question under criminal law and someone who practices in that area could pick it up.

Q: 5 previous drink driving no licence from 9 year ago. Arrested yesterday drink driving no lice blew 73 what can I expect

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized on
Answered on Sep 17, 2018
Timur Akpinar's answer
Post this question in the DUI/DWI section. Hopefully, one of the attorneys who practice in that area could pick it up.

Q: Can i cross complaint against my now ex for co-signing a car and my wages are being garnished and he keeps quitting

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Sep 15, 2018
Cary B. Hall's answer
Potentially. You can also bring a separate small claims suit against him for your lost wages due to garnishment -- although that's only if there was a promise (and hopefully in writing) by him to pay for the car 100% and indemnify you. If you co-signed, normally you're on the hook for the car as well and you'll unfortunately be paying for your generosity . . . .

Best of luck to you.

Q: In Georgia are school buses a luxury or do they have to be provided by law?

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Georgia on
Answered on Sep 14, 2018
Timur Akpinar's answer
I don’t practice in Georgia, but I noticed your question hasn’t been picked up in 7 days. If you want state-specific information upon which to base an action you are contemplating, check with a Georgia attorney. But as a general matter, I don’t believe school buses are considered a luxury in any state’s public school system(s). The basis on which they are provided generally seems to be governed by the policies or laws of a school district, city, or other government entity. A central...

Q: State Comp Ins fund send a letter on an old injury saying my file was sent to them for further case adjustment?

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for California on
Answered on Sep 11, 2018
Timur Akpinar's answer
You should repost your question under Workers' Compensation law in California, and hopefully one of the attorneys who practice in that field could see it.

Q: Safety issue involving the local Catholic church

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Sep 11, 2018
Peter N. Munsing's answer
First off you send them a letter confirming this and asking that they send it to their insurance company.

You may want to bring it to the attention of the archdiocese as it's hardly a "good neighbors" approach especially if having tire stops is relatively cheap.

Suggest also that as they are technically trespassing, you photo each occaision, then you can bring a nuissance claim against them.

Q: I hired a handyman to work on my shower. He took half up front (325.00). He showed up a couple of times and disappeare.

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Utah on
Answered on Sep 10, 2018
Wesley Winsor's answer
I am sorry for your experience. That must be super frustrating.

You will first need to look at the agreement you signed with the handyman. If this guy was a one-man-band, then its likely that he didn't have you sign a contract. Just because it was an "oral" agreement doesn't mean that it isn't valid though.

Your remedy is your cost to finish the job. Your claim would be that of "breach of contract". I would first try to work it out with him if possible out of court, but you...

Q: Can I sue a university for registering students for a bachelor's degree but only offering an associate degree?

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized on
Answered on Sep 10, 2018
Timur Akpinar's answer
As a general matter (and not necessarily your given situation), if an academic institution offered a program it clearly did not have, it could possibly constitute misrepresentation. However, in your specific situation, it could be advisable for you to consult with an attorney who would be able to examine all the facts and circumstances and evaluate the validity and costs of such a lawsuit.

Q: Are all law libraries not opened to the public? If not, how do I find out which ones are open for the public?

2 Answers | Asked in Uncategorized for Illinois on
Answered on Aug 29, 2018
Jeremy Wang's answer
All law libraries located in the county Court houses and public law schools are open to the public.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.