Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Connecticut Questions & Answers
3 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Connecticut on
Q: N-400.

Hello there,

My mother just went to her second naturalization interview because she failed the civic portion the first time.

The officer told me she passed the civic but still had to deny her because she doesn't speak English? I'm so lost and confused and don't know... Read more »

John Alexander Bates
John Alexander Bates answered on Jul 7, 2020

The ability to speak and read English is a requirement for becoming a US Citizen. It does seem unfortunate they did not tell you this the first time. You may be able to appeal this decision or file a lawsuit in Federal Court.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Family Law and Child Custody for Connecticut on
Q: So I was recently hospitalized for not being on my medicine and they said I was unsafe around my kids without it..

So, what happens if I want another kid and I have to go off my meds?? the probate court said I have to be seeking treatment and I live in CT and I want another kid someday and that's like them telling me I can't have another baby. I am schizophrenic and have a mental illness but... Read more »

Joseph Maya
Joseph Maya answered on Jul 1, 2020

Generally, a patient’s physician would advise as to what medications a patient may need, in addition to the appropriate dosage etc. To the extent a patient has a health condition, including pregnancy, that may be negatively impacted by the use of a medication, a physician may make a... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Connecticut on
Q: my father has CC debt. if he files bankruptcy, can they go after his Investment accounts? one is a IRA and CMA
Christopher H. McCormick
Christopher H. McCormick answered on Jun 29, 2020

The IRA as a retirement account would be treated as fully exempt in a bankruptcy filing and these funds would remain his. If the Cash Management Account is not part of a retirement account he still may be able to use his federal wild card exemption to exempt some or all depending on the amount of... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright for Connecticut on
Q: Can I create digital art of president Trump?

I am a digital artist and want to create some portrait digital art from an Associated Press photo of president Trump.

I asked AP to see if it is ok to use their photo. Also, even if AP says it is ok to use it, will there still be legal issues to use a portrait of president Trump in my art?

John B. Hudak
John B. Hudak answered on Jun 26, 2020

If you are making another piece of artwork from an existing photograph, be aware of the idea of derivative works. The owner of a work has the exclusive right to make derivative works of their work. A derivative work is an adaptation of the first work, or also considered “based on” the first... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning and Elder Law for Connecticut on
Q: Brother placing mother in AL facility beyond her means and plans to draw down limited assets.

My brother just received POA for my 82 year old mother. We have searched for an assisted living facility and found one that will cater to her needs and income (approx $3,000 per month). He unilaterally decided to place her in a more expensive facility ($4,300 per month) and draw down on her assets... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Jun 22, 2020

He probably does have that authority under the POA but he would be well advised to consult an elder law attorney regarding options for paying for your mother's care. Medicare should be paying for her medical bills, most likely, and there are legal ways to accelerate eligibility for Medicaid to... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Connecticut on
Q: I am getting social security disability monthly,do I have to let them know if I am collecting unemployment
Stanley Dale Radtke
Stanley Dale Radtke answered on Jun 18, 2020

If you are collecting both SSDI and unemployment insurance you could have a problem because you told Social Security, under penalty of perjury, that you were unable to work due to your disability. Then you told your state unemployment department, also under the penalty of perjury, that you were... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Connecticut on
Q: Does collecting unemployment affect the amount you currently receive from social security disability.

I am on SSDI,but have been trying to find something to do for more income,haven’t been successful.I applied for unemployment.should I have not done that?Is that going to mess up my monthly disability check?

Emmett B. Irwin
Emmett B. Irwin answered on Jun 18, 2020

Generally when you apply for unemployment, you are stating that you are ready, willing and able to work full-time. You are getting SSDI because you told SSA that you can't work full-time. So there could be a problem there. However, the CARES Act temporarily changed the requirements for... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Connecticut on
Q: Do you need to let social securityDisability know if you Are collecting unemployment?

Haven’t worked since 3-2019.been looking but no luck due to my health,Is it safe to collect unemployment?

Scott F Bocchio
Scott F Bocchio answered on Jun 16, 2020

Hi, you do need to make SSA aware if you are collecting unemployment. They need to be made aware of any source of have income that you may have while your SSA claim is pending.

Sincerely, Scott Bocchio, Esq.


1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Connecticut on
Q: Can you collect unemployment when you are on disability and looking for a job you can do
Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer answered on Jun 15, 2020

Yes, you can receive both unemployment benefits and Social Security disability benefits (SSDI).

Unemployment and SSDI benefits both provide financial support to those who are not working, but the rules for these programs differ greatly. You should be aware that there is a contradiction in...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Insurance Defense and Nursing Home Abuse for Connecticut on
Q: How to find out a Corporation's liability insurer information, if have intent to sue for negligence?
John B. Hudak
John B. Hudak answered on Jun 9, 2020

Consider consulting with a personal injury attorney—with a confidential consultation. Many times personal injury attorneys will take cases on contingency where the client will not have to pay anything until money is recovered, part of the recovery goes to the attorney and part of the recovery... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Connecticut on
Q: Charged with pos. of <1/2oz cannabis in CT and was given a nolo contendre. Do I have to report this on an application?

Application is for US Patent Bar. Question states: "Have you ever been arrested, charged, or held by Federal, State, or other law enforcement authorities for any violation of any Federal or State law, or any country or municipal law, regulation, or ordinance? If YES, provide a detailed... Read more »

Allan F. Friedman
Allan F. Friedman answered on Jun 8, 2020

YES you have to report it. Lying on an application to a bar is an offense worse than possession of marijuana - be truthful and consult an attorney who works on bar applications

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Divorce for Connecticut on
Q: What are the guidelines for secondary education and the contribution by each parent in a divorced household in CT?

If the tuition bill is 30k - is the level of contribution based on income levels? Or is just split 50/50?

Joseph Maya
Joseph Maya answered on Jun 3, 2020

In Connecticut, educational support orders are governed by Connecticut General Statutes §46b-56c, which authorizes the courts to enter orders defining how parents will handle “necessary educational expenses” which include application costs, registration costs, room, board, dues, tuition, and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Connecticut on
Q: Hello, I am filing a quitclaim deed for my wife to include her on our home.

What is the ct. exemption code under Conn. Gen. Stat. 12-498

John B. Hudak
John B. Hudak answered on Jun 3, 2020

The question is a little unclear.

Likely you are filling out the conveyance tax form. Download the instructions for the conveyance tax form, from the same website you downloaded the conveyance tax form. The instruction form will give instructions for each line and likely answer your...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Connecticut on
Q: Can I get info on what the admin. is doing with my brothers estate? Can I find out his assets?

How do I find out what my brother's assests are and what the administrator is doing/has done? He died unexpectedly, had no will and told no one what he might want. He was employed, had at least one life insurance policy (my mom is the beneficiary), a vehicle, and bank accounts.... Read more »

Joseph Maya
Joseph Maya answered on Jun 2, 2020

When a person who owns property dies in the state of Connecticut, the Probate Court facilitates and oversees the distribution of the property. If the decedent dies without a Will in place, often a family member or friend is appointed to settle the affairs of the estate. A part of the duties of... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Probate for Connecticut on
Q: how does one apply to get to be a executor of the estate of their spouse so that they can get bank accounts in

decease spouses name

Matthew A. Wiley
Matthew A. Wiley answered on Jun 1, 2020

You file an application with the probate court in the state of domicile. There are a few different forms that may need to be filed depending on your circumstances. Also some assets may have a beneficiary already listed, or may be jointly held. In those cases you need to file forms with the... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Connecticut on
Q: 14-223(b), 14-224, 532-117, 14-2136, 14-36(2) Bond is 70$. What are the charges?

Past criminal history is just one larceny charge for petty theft i have to go to court for probation soon and the larceny charge will be taken care of before the motor vehicle charge

Allan F. Friedman
Allan F. Friedman answered on May 31, 2020

Apparently the allegations are that you left the scene of a motor vehicle accident; disobeying the signal of an officer; criminal mischief; operation without insurance and driving without a license or registration. Given that you have a prior criminal record and are not eligible for a diversionary... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Connecticut on
Q: Charged with 14-223(b), 14-224, 532-117, 14-2136, 14-36(2) Bond is 70$

What are the charges for this and how can i get rid of them

Allan F. Friedman
Allan F. Friedman answered on May 31, 2020

It seems that you had a major motor vehicle incident. Without more facts and information about your criminal history, it would be hard to give you specific advice. I would suggest that you contact an experienced criminal defense attorney for a free consultation to get some answers

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Connecticut on
Q: Ex wife died intestate .divorced .on title and deed it says survivorship.can i file bankruptcy on my behalf?what happens

To her estate situation since she passed away?

Matthew A. Wiley
Matthew A. Wiley answered on May 27, 2020

There are not quite enough facts to answer this question. There are enough facts to let you know that you should reach out to a lawyer. These types of things can be a bit more complicated than a message board can fully explain.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut on
Q: would a 18 year old girl get in trouble fighting a 15 year old girl for the 15 year old hitting her first?
Allan F. Friedman
Allan F. Friedman answered on May 26, 2020

Self-defense is always a viable defense to an assault but it has limitations. Your response must be limited to defend yourself with the minimal degree of force needed. Also, you have a duty to retreat under certain circumstances. Without more details of your situation it would be difficult to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Patents (Intellectual Property) for Connecticut on
Q: Filing For A Patent

How To Do It , Money And Selling The Patent .

Peter D. Mlynek
Peter D. Mlynek answered on May 26, 2020

How to do it: you need to hire a patent attorney. The patent attorney will need to know about your business model, your product's PLC, your geographical scope of operations, and something about your product that you want to get a patent on.

Generally, you do not sell a patent; you...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.