Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Public Benefits Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law, Child Support and Public Benefits for Michigan on
Q: How do I reopen my case after we both agreed to have it closed because we were living together but aren't anymore?

The father of my 2 children and I had been together for 16 years. Living together for over 10, our eldest is 14. We both agreed to stop child support because it was OUR income/outcome but he recently moved out. He is on the lease/utilities and state grant (DHS), I am unable to provide a forwarding... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Sep 27, 2020

Contact your county's DHS office or Friend of the Court; they will take it from there.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Collections and Public Benefits for California on
Q: Would a lien on my brother's inheritance prevent it from being counted as income or asset by SSI and Medicaid?

I'm executor of my father's estate. The funds will be divided among 6 siblings, about $6000 each. One brother is on SSI, SSDI, and Medicaid, in Vermont. If he inherits $6000, he is in danger of losing his Medicaid until he spends $4000. Losing his Medicaid could cost him a lot more than... Read more »

Sally Bergman
Sally Bergman answered on Sep 14, 2020

This is a question that needs to be answered by an attorney licensed in Vermont and familiar with its Medicaid rules and regulations as every state is different. There are likely ways he can spend that amount of money down without interrupting his SSI/MEDICAID benefits and/or can create an ABLE... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Public Benefits for California on
Q: I would like to receive the Opinion of the California Supreme Court rendered on July 30, 2020, regarding pensions.

The opinion of the Court resolved the eligibility of former public employees to receive pensions that are based on incomes that include overtime, or increased pay for extra work on the part of the employees. This opinion was rendered on July 30, 2020, and it interpreted legislation that was... Read more »

Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen answered on Sep 14, 2020

California Supreme Court opinions are published without charge onto the internet. I think this is the case you seek:

Good luck to you.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Public Benefits for Kentucky on
Q: Indicted on Medicaid Fraud in Hardin Co KY

I did not know that I even had Medicaid. Then I receive a notice from the court that I was indicted by the grand jury for fraud in Hardin County. At the time I was going to school to be an RN and was raising 4 children. I am married but the time frame they are stating he was unemployed. I never did... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Aug 30, 2020

You need to find and hire a competent criminal defense attorney immediately who can help you get out in front of this.

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Public Benefits for Alabama on
Q: What does this mean when there is no period listed as disqualification? Do I need to file an appeal or get a lawyer?

"Discharge for Misconduct: You will be disqualified for the period indicated and the maximum amount of benefits to which you may become entitled after the disqualification period will be reduced."

Also, there was no misconduct on my side. I have the entire termination process... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 27, 2020

An Alabama attorney could best advise, but you await a response for four weeks. From your description, this looks like a matter related to termination and eligibility for unemployment benefits. You could repost and add Employment Law as a category, or you could reach out to Alabama employment... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Products Liability and Public Benefits for Tennessee on
Q: Can you sell food in Tennessee past the use thru date printed on the package

Or if there are any loopholes that would allow litigation/investigation

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 21, 2020

A Tennessee attorney could answer best but your question remains open for five weeks. You might look into whether the Tennessee Department of Agriculture or U.S. Food and Drug Administration's Nashville office could offer you input. In terms of litigation, if someone became ill from spoiled... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law, Tax Law and Public Benefits for California on
Q: Can the state/government take a house that was left to me by parents if I've collected welfare?

My parents are planning to make a will but unsure if state/government will be able to seize it after its in my name because ive collected welfare (cash, food stamps, medical)

James Edward Berge
James Edward Berge answered on Aug 18, 2020

No. If you receive Medi-Cal, SSI, TANF, SSDI, VA or IHSS benefits, a house in which you reside is considered a non-countable resource in your benefits determination. If you receive Section 8 housing however, a house will jeopardize those benefits. Food stamps are based on income, not assets,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Municipal Law and Public Benefits for New York on
Q: What are the laws regarding public speaking in a city like NYC?

Can any mass of people congregate in a public park, setup some speakers and listen to an orator speak about politics, for example? Is this protected by the right to peaceful assembly? I'm talking about non-pandemic times, btw. Thanks for any help provided.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 8, 2020

This is something that a constitutional law scholar would know best. It sounds like you are touching upon the time, place, manner attributes of the First Amendment. It would be safest to contact agencies or offices within the City of New York to verify these guidelines - it's possible they... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits and Landlord - Tenant for Virginia on
Q: Do I have the right to take security deposit interest back?

The lease agreement says in Your security deposit will be deposited and held in an interest bearing account in a federally insured banking institution. But the landlord said Virginia law was changed in 2014, removing the requirement that interest accrue on security deposits held by landlords unless... Read more »

F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof answered on Aug 6, 2020

Since the law states :unless agreed to otherwise" and you reported that you agreed in the lease that the security deposit would be interest bearing, the landlord is bound by the terms of the lease and the law to accrue interest on your security deposit, however, you have no right to demand the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate and Public Benefits for Georgia on
Q: My husband was shot in his home about a week ago. We are legally married, but we've been separated for a while now.2kids

So I would like to know we what I should do. Also am I or my children entitled anything? He did not have a will or insurance. I could really use some help and guidance. Thank you

Robert W. Hughes Jr.
Robert W. Hughes Jr. answered on Aug 6, 2020

As his wife, you are entitled to 1/3 of his estate and a year's support. His children are entitled to the remaining 2/3 and if they are under 18, they are entitled to a year's support as well. The separation is a non issue. Find a lawyer specializing in probate law. Because probate law... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Election Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Public Benefits for Florida on
Q: DMV says I need a birth certificate to get photo ID, DOH says I need photo ID for birth certificate. What should I do?

My driver's license is expired. I tried renewing online and was told I needed to show a copy of my birth certificate. I do not have a "valid" copy of a birth certificate. For those who are not aware, the Florida DMV is currently in the same state of collapse as most of their other... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Aug 4, 2020

Are you indicating that you have neither? How old are you?

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Collections, Energy, Oil and Gas and Public Benefits for North Carolina on
Q: I am having a problem with the City of Shelby, I've been paying my power bill late but never have I not paid it..

I just want some one to help me go through my power bills to explain to me I am 67 and I think they are taking advantage because I don't read well.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 29, 2020

This does not sound like a legal matter that you need to involve an attorney for. Considering the amount of ordinary household utility bills, attorney fees might not be justified. You could see if their customer service department could help explain your bill. If you aren't satisfied, you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Education Law, Family Law and Public Benefits for Colorado on
Q: When I am of legal age in the state of Colorado (18) do my guardians have any control over the location of my education
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko answered on Jul 25, 2020

It depends on the nature of the guardianship and what it provides for. Usually those past the age of 18 do not have guardians.

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits for California on
Q: Why would it be ok in 1 program to live in a tent as being homeless and not the other program ?
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Jul 9, 2020

It depends on the terms of the programs. More information is needed. Consult the Legal Aid society in Sacramento. If you cannot find a listing, contact the Sacramento Bar Assn.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Child Support and Public Benefits for California on
Q: I've had money taken from me for A child that's not mine from over 20 years and they're grown I want my money back

My stimulas has been taken and in the past it was made to stop garnishing wges but didn't know I can't get unemployment either I am not the father

Chris M. Bradford
Chris M. Bradford answered on Jul 1, 2020

The judge is going to ask you: Why did you wait 20 years to challenge that you are not the father? Why didn't you do that 20 years ago? If you look back at the original order it no doubt says that you are the father in the original order. If you were not the original father, it should... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits, Social Security and Medical Malpractice for California on
Q: My Doctors&Clinic kept inaccurate records & have altered them to avoid dealing with a complaint. Is this malpractice?

I can prove they altered them. The result has been denial for SSDI benefits and a severe deterioration in my quality of life and has endangered my overall health permanently. I don't know what to do to fix this?

William John Light
William John Light answered on Jun 23, 2020

It might be a HIPAA complaint, but damages are not available for that under the statute.

It might be Negligent Interference with Prospective Economic Advantage, but it's unclear that there would be enough money at stake to justify this type of claim.

Also, I don't know...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Public Benefits for Florida on
Q: Can DEO get away with not dispersing the $600 per week PUA money I qualify for?

I am eligible under the Care's Act for PUA as a 1099 worker. I was also eligible for unemployment as a 1040 worker. I received back pay for unemployment but not the PUA funds. The DEO is not communicating with me, and can not answer my questions, friends from other states have already received... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 10, 2020

No, DEO is not "committing fraud." Since DEO is the final decision-maker as to whether or not you are entitled to the extra money given to DEO under the CARES Act I strongly suggest that you stop fighting with them and just wait for the DEO bureaucracy to catch up with the thousands of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits for Oklahoma on
Q: Why is it illegal ti fly sky laterns in the state of oklahoma

Explain this to me

Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad answered on Jun 2, 2020


2014 Oklahoma Statutes

Title 68. Revenue and Taxation

§68-1624.1. Aerial luminaries.

Universal Citation: 68 OK Stat § 68-1624.1 (2014)

A. It shall be unlawful to sell, offer for sale, distribute, possess, ignite, or otherwise use aerial...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Government Contracts and Public Benefits for New York on
Q: How much would a lawyer charge to apply for state teacher certification in all 50 States. What is the time frame?

I am interested to know if someone can apply for teacher certification for me in all 50 states. I have an Advanced Professional Certificate in Two Subject Areas, and an Administrator Credential. I have 15 years of teaching experience, could someone do this? If so could you give a rough time... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 28, 2020

Why do you want to pay a lawyer to do something you could accomplish on your own? It doesn't require legal skills to apply for teacher certification. Given your credentials, you are clearly bright enough to deal with the process. But if you wish to have a lawyer handle it for you, you could... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law, Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Public Benefits for Michigan on
Q: My aunt gave her home to her threekids 10 years ago and reserved a life estate for herself. She went to a nursing home

January of 2020. Before she went to the nursing home. she put a new roof on the house. She applied for Medicaid in January. She was denied because DHHS said that the value of the new roof is a divestment of three-fourths of the $13000 roof cost. They are more or less saying that the life estate is... Read more »

Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi answered on May 22, 2020

They may be right or if the life estate requirements were that she maintain the house they may be wrong.

Hard to say without actually examining the documents but why was this mechanism used rather than a ladybird deed which would have made this moot?

It may be too late at this...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.