Wyoming Q&A by Practice Area

Show More Practice Areas »

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Wyoming Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Military Law for Wyoming on
Q: A friend joined the guard a few weeks ago. Has not been to drill or basic training. She wants out because of her

Recruiter made her lie at meps and trying to date her. Now she’s being threatened with going to jail if she doesn’t come to drills or go to basic training. Can that happen?

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on May 3, 2019

Yes. Joining the Military is a very serious matter. Going AWOL is seriously frowned upon by the Court and Prosecutor if her National Guard Commander swears out a Warrant. She also does not want an Other Than Honorable Discharge as it will ruin her life. A Dishonorable Discharge or Bad... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Business Law for Wyoming on
Q: In the state of Wyoming what are the consequences for failure to return rented personal property
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 25, 2019

Depending on the value of the personal property you rented, and the terms of your rental agreement, you may see a collection attempt followed by a lawsuit, or worse.

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Education Law, Patents (Intellectual Property) and Trademark for Wyoming on
Q: Can I use the spelling of Fire as FYRE for educational purpose on a school project?

Fyre Festival trade mark abandoned? I would not use the word festival.

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Mar 19, 2019

depends on the scope of the use and whether it will confuse people as of what you are doing vis a vis a registered or established commercial mark.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Wyoming on
Q: So if she is here longer than the six months allowed by her travel visa, but we have applied for her adjustment of...

status, as she is married to me, a U.S. citizen, will she receive some document allowing her to travel to and from Mexico as we go through the process of her adjustment of status?

Deron Edward Smallcomb
Deron Edward Smallcomb answered on Feb 15, 2019

If you apply for everything correctly, including advanced parole, she will have the ability to travel out of the country. That said, it is highly recommended that she does not. First, she has overstayed. Second, unless she came on a fiance visa, they can prevent her from entering based on immigrant... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Wyoming on
Q: Look below for entire question.

My Girlfriend from Mexico whom I met while doing volunteer work in Ecuador came to visit me, after I returned to the United States, entering the country with a valid travel visa. After 2 months, I decided we could not live without each other and we got married.

If she travels back to... Read more »

Kyndra Mulder
Kyndra Mulder answered on Feb 15, 2019

In general, A person will be admitted into the USA if they have a valid visa and go through inspection. Admission may be denied if the visa is expired or the person has overstayed their visa. Also, BP had discretion to cancel a visa if they suspect immigration intent.

Just being married to...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Wyoming on
Q: On the interstate. Observed a crash take place ahead. Saw wrecked vehicle in ditch. Required to stop and render aid?

I judged stopping in breakdown lane to be potentially hazardous, so a passenger in my vehicle called an accident report in to local Sheriff's office on cellphone while I kept on driving. What does Wyoming law state about requirement to stop and render aid?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 21, 2018

In nearly every state the law only applies to drivers "involved in the accident." A passer by such as yourself need not stop. You can phone the police if you clearly saw it happen (as opposed to looking over once you hear the bang).

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation for Wyoming on
Q: What should I do if I suspect an employee of faking injuries on the job?
Steven R. Dwyer
Steven R. Dwyer answered on Aug 3, 2018

A good place to start will be contacting the Wyoming Department of Workforce Services

Workers' Compensation Division which can be reached at (307) 777-7441.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Family Law, Foreclosure and Collections for Wyoming on
Q: Which state hold judgments after family law case is transferred?

I have judgments that originated in NJ 8 years ago as part of my family law case. The case was transferred to WY when the children and I moved here 5 years ago. Since the judgments are part of family action, should interest be accrued using NJ rates for all 8 years, or 3 years with NJ and 5 with... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jun 26, 2018

All eight years interest will accrue pursuant to the judgments issued under New Jersey law.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Wyoming on
Q: I was involved in a wreck in which my car was totaled. Can I go after the other party for expenses on a new car?

I was in a wreck 3 weeks ago. I was ruled not at fault by the police and the other party received a ticket. Can I go after the other person for down payment and plates/sales tax on a new car that I would not have to pay if not for their negligence? This happened in Wyoming.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on May 4, 2018

You can go after them for the value of your vehicle if it was for sale the minute before the wreck. You would get the sales tax. Plates you keep. There may be a transfer charge in your state so ask for that. You have a claim for your injuries. I suggest you contact a member of the Wyoming Assn for... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Wyoming on
Q: How to file an asylum we are having C1/D Visa
Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman answered on Apr 28, 2018

If you successfully make it past a border or entry point and into the U.S., you'll have more time to apply for asylum. In fact, you can take up to a year after entering the U.S. to start the process. (If that deadline has passed, talk to an attorney—exceptions are possible, and USCIS may... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Intellectual Property and Trademark for Wyoming on
Q: Would an vape juice company need to trademark each individual bottle or only the company logo and mascot?

I will be starting a business making the juice for e vapes and the different flavors were gonna come in a different base color for the bottle but the general design would stay the same. Would I need to trademark each flavor because of the different base color or just the business name and mascot?... Read more »

Benton R Patterson III
Benton R Patterson III answered on Jan 2, 2018

It depends on how much protection you want for your brand. If you want to prevent other people from using each individual color for the specific juice, then you would need to trademark each bottle design. Although, doing so could be expensive to obtain and maintain. If you only want to prevent... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Wyoming on
Q: I was in a car accident and the insurance company for the person at fault is not reimbursing me my money. What do I do?

It is around a thousand dollars since I had to pay for my own rental. They aren't returning calls or emails.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Dec 27, 2017

Suggest you contact a member of the Wyoming Assn for Justice--they give free consultions.

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Wyoming on
Q: I was pulled over for my 3rd DUi while still on probation. There is no video of the stop. Shouldn't it be dismissed

This occurred in Wyoming

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on Aug 25, 2017

There is no requirement that a traffic stop must be recorded. The officer can testify and any sobriety test results can prove intoxication without the need of a video.

2 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Wyoming on
Q: Age 21. Court supervision until 07/05/17 for speeding ticket. Received 2 more leading up to today. Suspension possible?

I received my second speeding ticket for going 7 over on the highway in Wyoming in may and my third one today for going 30 over. I was going flow of traffic on highway but decided to switch lanes and speed up. Cop did not show me speed gun when I asked to see it.

Ray Choudhry
Ray Choudhry answered on Jun 25, 2017

Find out if Wyoming ticket was reported to Illinois.

If not, then you have no convictions on your record and need to contest the new ticket.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Business Law and Wrongful Death for Wyoming on
Q: Do I have to sign a waiver with the shop request?
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 1, 2017

If the shop requires it then your only option is to look for another shop.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Wrongful Death and Criminal Law for Wyoming on
Q: I live in Wyoming can I shoot someone who is breaking into my car

Like would shooting them in the leg fly or would I have to wait to see if they come at me before I can shoot them

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on May 1, 2017

You can't shoot them (I'm assuming you are not in your car). If you did you need to ask that this be taken down by the website, avoid any questions on social media, and contact an attorney at once.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Wyoming on
Q: I live in Utah but my kids live in Wyoming. Do I need a lawyer from Wyoming?
Joseph Torri
Joseph Torri answered on Apr 6, 2017

More facts are required to provide a through analysis here. However, you should discuss the legal issues with a family lawyer in Wyoming and Utah. It is unclear whether a case has already been filed. If a case has not been filed, Wyoming will probably have jurisdiction, but consult with a local... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Wyoming on
Q: How do I file a complaint of conspiracy to get a county board member to quit on a board?

Wyo stay 16-4-408 Penalty

Robert Donald Gifford II
Robert Donald Gifford II answered on Apr 3, 2017

You need to contact a law enforcement officer, or maybe even your state AG's Office to register a complaint. The squeaky wheel gets the attention, so if you are serious about it - then complain in writing (with documented evidence) to every agency you can (DA, AG, local law enforcement, etc.).

1 Answer | Asked in Military Law for Wyoming on
Q: Can the military ignore doctors notes?

My fiance was prescribed antidepressants for her depression. Since it takes 4-6 weeks for the meds to work the doctor wrote a letter staring I needed to stay within town the next 2 drills for the army national guard, due to me being her only emotional support and when I leave it triggers her... Read more »

Robert Donald Gifford II
Robert Donald Gifford II answered on Apr 3, 2017

The ugly answer is "yes." Just like single-parent servicemembers have to have a childcare plan to take care of kids in the event of mobilization/deployment, the same concept applies here. The best advice is to work this through your chain of command and build support from the bottom up.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Wyoming on
Q: Do I need to get a lawyer for a MIP in Wy
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on Jan 29, 2017

The choice of a lawyer is a personal decision. A lawyer can navigate the court system and may be able to provide you with a reduced sentence. A lawyer may also know about various programs that can replace actual jail time and/or be listed on your record. That said, you can proceed without a lawyer.... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.