Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Louisiana Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Education Law for Louisiana on
Q: How do we find out or who do we contact for the disabled FF college fund for Children?Our son will be attending SLU in

Louisiana and we have no clue how much they pay or what they pay.He starts in August and no one can give us a straight answer.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Louisiana on
Q: My ex husband has sole custody of our 2 girls. My ex and I want to change our legal custody to our girls living with me.

What do we need to file with the courts so that we both share custody but they now live with me..

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
answered on Jun 22, 2022

If you have an existing Order/Judgment then you probably need to do a modification, but if significant changes have occurred since the Order then it might be best to file a new suit----without more information, people on this board cannot adequately provide guidance. I strongly recommend that you... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Child Support for Louisiana on
Q: Hello why is it that I gotta pay child to my son mother an he is 23 years old not in college.

I think it's not right. He did not attend no college at his graduation

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Louisiana on
Q: I would like to take the pro se route to remove a curator over my son ( suffered a severe TBI). I’m the under curator

His father was appointed curator and I was made the under curator because I’m a out of state resident. He is blocking me from seeing my son or getting medical updates on his condition. I hv been by my sins side since the accident that occurred in September of 2021. When I tried to visit after I... Read more »

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
answered on Jun 21, 2022

Although you indicated you want to go the pro se route, since you posted, I will first reply to suggest that you consult with a lawyer to discuss the pros and cons of going the pro se route in this matter, as well as so the consulting attorney can review the legal pleadings. Furthermore, if the... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Child Custody for Louisiana on
Q: I have a 16 year old daughter who has been living at her friends for the past 2 years. her father has domicile custody

however she has never lived w him. she always lived w me. she was kicked out of her friends house, I am just finding this out. can i make her come home???

0 Answers | Asked in Employment Law for Louisiana on
Q: In Louisiana, I’m required to be in a jury pool for 2 weeks, my employer has to pay me 1 day only? Not the whole time?

How am I suppose to be off work for 2 weeks with just one day paid? What if I’m selected for a trial? Do I keep not getting paid for that time too?

0 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for Louisiana on
Q: I was disfigured by a local dentist, can I get compensation if the incident happened a year ago?

My dentist was out of town so I went to a dental office that I saw advertised on TV. I needed a simple bridge to be replaced or reinserted on the top right corner of my mouth. The dentist said that she could do what I asked. I went to the office the following day for my procedure. I go into the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Louisiana on
Q: My stepdaughter was a volunteer for a camp she hurt her in ankle in a hole in the camps park are they liable
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jun 29, 2022

A Louisiana attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. It's possible they could be liable, but more details would be needed about the accident. I hope your stepdaughter is okay. You could reach out to local attorneys to discuss in further detail. Most law firms... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Louisiana on
Q: Is a search warrant considered invalid if it doesn’t have a the person’s name that has “supposedly” committed the crime?

Can it be valid with only a room # at a hotel?

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
answered on Jun 20, 2022

If this is a search warrant, then an accused's name is not needed-----the presiding Judge has to determine whether or not the affidavit in support of the search warrant provides enough information to justify/allow for a search of the area to be search and also for what is sought.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Louisiana on
Q: My dad is paying back payments. I’m 21 now,my mom has the card with my name on it. Is it possible for me to get the $

Mom lives in LA I Been living in Texas by myself since I was 13. She refuses to give me the back child support she is finally getting. How would I be able to get the card & is that even possible for me to get the money directly to me. Or does she have to be the one getting it? I wasn’t sure... Read more »

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
answered on Jun 20, 2022

You can and should consult with a lawyer who is in the jurisdiction where the Order was issued/signed to see what, if any, options are available to you, however it is most likely not going to provide you the answer you seek----still, you should get the consult to see if there is any way you can... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Louisiana on
Q: How can my son get his dog back? His girlfriends mom won’t return it. It was given solely to him over two years ago.

The dog is about 5 years old and has been with my son all his life and alone with him over two years. The ex gave the dog to him 2 years ago. He got out two nights ago. My son looked for him all night and found him the next morning. The ex and her mom said they would bath him and return him that... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Gov & Administrative Law and Civil Rights for Louisiana on
Q: How can a person go 2 jail for a criminal state case and while still incarcerated it becomes a criminal federal case?

If you have fed charges where is the proof, the story?Can u be taken from your parish facility &!driven to a FED facility by regular police by regular city officers & Be held there for over 1 year & never go to court?

0 Answers | Asked in Land Use & Zoning for Louisiana on
Q: Can I get ownership by acquisitive prescription,

After my grandparents passed I've been paying property tax for 14yrs., Can I claim ownership through acquisitive prescription no family member ask me to move as well

0 Answers | Asked in Land Use & Zoning for Louisiana on
Q: I've lived in the family home for 16yrs., I also pays the property taxes for 14yrs., Can I gain ownership

My grandparents have 5 kids still alive, but I pay the property tax as well and managed the house and yard can I gain ownership through acquisitive prescription?

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Real Estate Law for Louisiana on
Q: My family is needing a succession to clear up some property in Louisiana. It is 9 involved. What's the process
James Scott Ruel
James Scott Ruel
answered on Jun 17, 2022

Generally a petition for possession is filed with the clerk of court where the decedent lived at the time of death. Sometimes and administration is required where someone is appointed to handle the business of the estate. Once the heirs are identified and the assets of the estate are identified,... Read more »

View More Answers

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Louisiana on
Q: Do we have a cause of action if the age of a home we purchased was misrepresented?

We purchased a home in Louisiana. Subsequent to closing and taking possession we learned that the home was at least 10 years older that shown on the selling agent's listing. The title company does not appear to have caught the discrepancy either. Do we have a cause of action and if so,... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.