Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Iowa Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Iowa on

Q: if a female single parent is charged with assault is this a justifiable reason to place children in forced foster care

both before a conviction and if there is a conviction when children were not present or witnesses, and if this alone is the reason for children to be removed forceably from the home. this is a very generalized question with no other circumstances included.

Katherine Sears answered on Jul 7, 2019

I'm sorry, you might want to ask an attorney who handles family law/custody matters. They're likely to be more familiar with DHS and whatnot. "When to place children in foster care" is not in the criminal section of the Iowa Code.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Iowa on

Q: I am permanent resident with an 1-130 petition for my daughter her priority date is 5/7/2018 will a visa be granted soon

The petition was submitted just a few days after her 20 birthday which was May 3, 2018, so as of today she’s 21. I did receive the I-797c notice with the priority date, which is May7th 2018. So Based on the current visa bulletin of July 2019 will her case be moving anytime soon.( is she now... Read more »

Hector E. Quiroga answered on Jun 28, 2019

Your daughter’s priority date is current (that’s what the “C” means on the visa bulletin). You and your daughter should be notified soon about being able to file the visa application.

Your daughter’s age will be adjusted backward by the amount of time it took to process the visa petition.

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law, Medical Malpractice and Public Benefits for Iowa on

Q: What kind of lawyer do I need if an inpatient mental health facility violated their policies?

I placed my teenage daughter in an inpatient mental health facility that had strict guidelines regarding who could contact her and how. She was not allowed to have contact with anyone that I, personally did not put on her list, which was password protected by a password I chose. She could not... Read more »

Erik Luthens answered on Jun 26, 2019

Did you have a written agreement between the health care facility and you? If so, are the conditions / terms which you assert were violated specifically delineated in the agreement? How have you and / or your daughter been damaged by the health care facility’s breach of the agreement?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Iowa on

Q: Where can I read what the said in a case involving Keilon Hill in Des Moines Iowa

I would simply like to read exactly what the judge said in this case and I'm not having any luck finding the records. If you could tell me how or where I need to search for the actual records involved I would appreciate it

Katherine Sears answered on Jun 26, 2019

To find out exactly what a judge said in a trial (or a hearing or whatever), you'll want a transcript of the event. Not everything ends up with a transcript being made. If a transcript is available, you may have to pay to get a copy.

Here's a thing I found by googling "how to get a...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Small Claims for Iowa on

Q: Can someone use bankruptcy against me for a small claims settlement due to damage of my home?

A family member I'm in the process of filling a small claims suite against caused thousads of dollars worth of damage to my home. Could this person use bankruptcy to get out of paying a settlement if it's ruled in my favor?

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 26, 2019

Unless Iowa is very different than most states, you cannot bring an action seeking "thousands of dollars" in a small claims court. Your important question about the bankruptcy cutting you off should be asked to and answered by a bankruptcy lawyer in your area.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Iowa on

Q: What can I get charge with ?

House was raided a month ago, I guess they were told that I was taking trips to Mex n bringing back with me large quantities of dope or through mail. During the raid a digital scale, a personal amount of dope, close $5000, and a ziploc bag was found, my phone along texts and laptop which I got... Read more »

Gary Kollin answered on Jun 12, 2019

Stop trying to play lawyer. You desperately need a lawyer.

You are facing serious time.

Stop talking to EVERYONE.


View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Real Estate Law and Collections for Iowa on

Q: I own a timeshare in Mass and paid my maintenance fee late. They are refusing my payment (check).

I did not find any emails from them until I looked at my spam so it looked like I was avoiding them. I informed them by email that I was waiting for my tax return because I saw that there was a one-time Maintenance increase for an owner agreed on repairs. I have asked them to work with me but... Read more »

Michael Hales answered on Jun 5, 2019

If they never sent you paper bills, you may have an argument that they did not give you notice. If that does not work, you may have an attorney negotiate with the collection agency. Most timeshare companies use the same collection companies. I've found that they'll typically negotiate on the fee... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Iowa on

Q: Judge ordered a stay of garnishment on our bank account Monday, it’s friday when and how will my bank be notified? iowa

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 31, 2019

Your bank should have been notified; however, if the judge merely stayed the garnishment it may not go away entirely. Suggest you call the lawyer that helped you get the stay.

2 Answers | Asked in Medical Malpractice for Iowa on

Q: i have been injured by a doctor doing a procedure on me.leg are weak,off balance,limp and fear because of what he did .

was woke up briefly from being sedated ,with him giving me a forceful chop on the procedure site.need some advice on what to do.

Erik Luthens answered on May 29, 2019

You should immediately schedule a consultation with the doctor in question to determine specifically as to what he / she did and whether you need any further medical treatment due to the "forceful chop."

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Constitutional Law for Iowa on

Q: I have a few ideas, but in this case, I’m just curious as to what specific amendment was used in this?

Tim Akpinar answered on May 18, 2019

It looks like part of your question may have inadvertently gotten left off. You could try reposting the question.

Tim Akpinar

2 Answers | Asked in Intellectual Property and Tax Law for Iowa on

Q: I am disabled I got a letter say I had to pay the last half of my property tax by may 15 or the sell what can I do

I paied the first half and wont have the money for the last half till June 3

D. Mathew Blackburn answered on May 2, 2019

Call the county assessor and tell them you need more time to pay the tax. They'll tell you your options.

Or hire an attorney.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Iowa on

Q: I need to know if I was illegally searched.

I am from a small town in Iowa. The other night I was test riding my small dirt bike after making repairs. On my way back home I got pulled over by a sheriff that knows who I am. I have never been confrontational with the police and have absolutely no violence on my record. The sheriff with his red... Read more »

Katherine Sears answered on Apr 30, 2019

Based on the facts presented, you may have a basis for getting the search suppressed, particularly if there wasn't a valid reason for the stop. Talk to an attorney about this; you need someone to review whatever evidence the state has and help you make an informed decision about how to proceed.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Iowa on

Q: Donation Receipts for New Type of eBay Charity Donation

I wanted to establish a new type of charity sale. A seller would list items for sale and upon purchase the seller would deliver them to a charity designated within the listing. The seller would obtain a drop-off receipt from the charity and mail or message a copy to the buyer to use for their... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 18, 2019

You are not asking general legal questions; you are seeking about $2,000 worth of free professional legal advice regarding the establishment of what appears to be a workable idea--if a lawyer is involved from the get-go. Suggest you hire a good lawyer and invest in their advice--before you make a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Iowa on

Q: I was given 2 court dates when jailed for contempt. The judge & then upon release a sailor. Which is correct????

I called clerks office, she said 1st date correct. I have been unjustly handled by this judge, just don't want to be set up.

Gary Kollin answered on Apr 8, 2019

How woukd Ny attorney on the internet know?

If wrong, at least you can show up for the second.

1 Answer | Asked in Patents (Intellectual Property) for Iowa on

Q: I need parts for a shower faucet. It has no markings indicating the brand but it does have a patent number 3519018.

How do I find out who made it?

Peter D. Mlynek answered on Apr 6, 2019

As a person who does his own plumbing, the lack of part numbers drives me nuts too. And parts from one manufacturer are not compatible with those of other manufacturers. I feel your pain.

Your question is a tough one. The good news is that the patent was issued in 1970, so your shower...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Iowa on

Q: Can my child (minor) on H4 travel to India and back to US with her aunt?

I am on H1B in the US. My wife came to the US on H4 and recently changed status to H1B. We are seeking advice if there is any risk in having our minor daughter on H4 (visa stamped till Nov 2019) travel outside the country and back with her aunt (my sister who is a green card holder) in June for a... Read more »

Hector E. Quiroga answered on Apr 1, 2019

There should be no issue, as long as the child has a valid and unexpired H4 visa. You should show that your daughter has your permission to travel with her aunt.

2 Answers | Asked in Workers' Compensation for Iowa on

Q: My husband was injured at work and is on workers cop. He has not been able to drive. Who should have to pay for a taxi?

I have been driving him everywhere but have to be out of town all weekend for work.

Stephen Douglas Lombardi answered on Mar 26, 2019

The employer and its workers' compensation insurer are responsible for transportation costs for medical appointments. They are not otherwise required to provide transportation.

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation, Intellectual Property and Trademark for Iowa on

Q: Who owner the ampersand mark? Please refer to all information in registered trademark 86905207, from the USPTO website.

I asked for the ownership of this mark from its creation. Please validate.

Ahaji Kirk Amos answered on Mar 21, 2019

I don't understand the question.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Iowa on

Q: I was ordered to report to supervised probation. probation is not going to fly with me, how do i get around not doing it

Probation I'm not doing it. What happeneds if i dnt report to them for the first time??

Katherine Sears answered on Mar 7, 2019

You *are* "doing it," or you're getting arrested and going to jail for contempt/probation violation, and you're probably going to have whatever suspended sentence you got for the underlying offense imposed on top of that.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.