Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Nevada Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Nevada on
Q: If my daughter lives with my mom but I still have full custody of her, who is legally responsible for her?

My husband, my daughter and I were living with my mom. My adult son also lives there. My mom kicked me and my husband out but my daughter stayed because we have no place and are now homeless. My mother is not taking my kid to school or making her do her work. We told my mom when she kicked us out... Read more »

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Oct 3, 2021

Unless there is a court order giving your parents either guardianship or custody of the children, both parents are still legally responsible for the children.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Nevada on
Q: How strict is this NEvada Jurisdiction requirement. one spouse there for 6 weeks ?

Can the nexus argument be used? History, business, multiple houses. I am curently block from the Nevada house.

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Sep 27, 2021


The Nevada Judge will require a filed form to confirm your residency in Las Vegas for more than 6 weeks.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Nevada on
Q: Me and the Father of my kids DON'T get along but he insist in order for him to help me he has to be at my house

If not he won't help me and he has another child with someone else and she has no problem after taking him to court but I've tried to work with him but his abusive and won't help if his not at my house my Question what do I do he has his own place well he lives with son and takes... Read more »

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Sep 21, 2021


This can be a frustrating situation.

Our firm believes in having a Custody Decree in place so the expectations and rules are in writing and filed with the court. Having this protection allows both parties to have a guideline or "rulebook" to follow to co-parent...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Agricultural Law for Nevada on
Q: We ,own a golf course within city limits, are we required to keep free range cattle off of our golf course?
Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko answered on Sep 21, 2021

Even generally, you, as golf course owners must control the perimeter of your golf course to ensure that random animals do not destroy or interfere with the gold course operations. If you still have concerns, reach out to the municipal or county office to receive the appropriate guidance on that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Nevada on
Q: When does it become to late to sign your rights over and grant temporary custody to a family member to get rid of CPS

I’m going to trial this month. Can I sign temporary guardianship to my mother and have this case dropped? When does this option no longer apply?

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Sep 19, 2021

Generally speaking, a temporary guardianship does not prevent the court from proceeding with a CPS case. It is best to speak with the attorney in the case to inquire as to what she/he is willing to accept to meet the best interests of the child involved.

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law and Personal Injury for Nevada on
Q: It has taken almost 30 days for American Home shield to get air compressor fixed still broke is this legal?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 13, 2021

A Nevada attorney could advise best. but your question remains open for two weeks. Until you're able to reach a local attorney, it could be worth noting that these types of settings are often governed provisions of the contract between the parties. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Military Law for Nevada on
Q: Can someone get their parents their papers even if they have been discharged from the military.

The papers have already been sent to D.C. for processing so they can get their citizenship. This started because of the enlistment into the military and the constant talk with a lawyer. But if the person is discharged, can they still get their parents their papers?

Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko answered on Sep 13, 2021

Possibly, based on one's military discharge status and other factors. You indicated the parents do have a licensed immigration counsel which should be the best legal route as that professional should be intimately familiar with the case fine, correspondence, case filing and evidentiary case support.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Nevada on
Q: I am in need of a lawyer to right an opinion letter based on a person injury claim which seems to be a nuisance claim.
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 31, 2021

A Nevada attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. You could reach out to attorneys to ask for the cost of writing such a letter. But more important than that, what is the nature of the claim being made - if the claim is in the form of a summons and complaint to initiate... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Collections, Identity Theft and Social Security for Nevada on
Q: Credit report account made but not by me?

So I go to credit karma to make acc. They tell me a acc already made with a email. And told me what email. My biological fathers. And so on. Apparently goes on it everyday? Why? My credit. I’m 25. I am mentally disable. Growing up. I guess as a aunt said. He used me for debt. Wells Fargo credit... Read more »

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer answered on Aug 30, 2021

If someone has misused your Social Security number or other personal information to create credit or other problems for you, then you need to take action right away. Go to - it is a website managed by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) - and they will help you with a recovery... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Nevada on
Q: I have been here illegally for over 20 years, came over on an F1. I have decided to return home in a few weeks...

to Singapore. My father has cancer and cannot fly so I plan to go to him. My plan was to go to the airport with my valid passport but expired visa and leave. Any advice on if this is the right course of action.

would love to know I won't be detained and miss my flight.

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black answered on Aug 20, 2021

OK so anyone who has overstayed his visa by more than 12 months and exits the United States is then barred from returning to the United States for a period of 10 years. If you have overstayed your visa by 20 years and then leave to go back to Singapore, you will not under immigration law be able to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Nevada on
Q: Can I immigrate to US from U.K. if I was charged at 17 with 2 counts of robbery that I did community service for?

What is the best way? I am planning to marry my fiancé who lives in the US but I am afraid of these charges not allowing me to live in the US. What are my options?

Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder answered on Aug 18, 2021

If you were charged as an adult you may not be eligible to immigrate to the USA. If you were charged as a juvenile the conviction may not effect your ability to adjust status.

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Nevada on
Q: Summary eviction what to do next if a appeal is granted and summary of eviction is denied
Katie Marie Charleston
Katie Marie Charleston answered on Aug 10, 2021

You have 10 days to file an appeal of a summary eviction action in Nevada. I recommend retaining counsel to help you navigate the appeal and comply with time and procedural requirements.

1 Answer | Asked in Gaming for Nevada on
Q: Is it legal to form a LLC(w/ mult members)in the state of Nevada for the purpose of entering casino sportsbook contests?

There would be an Nevada resident and a out of state Resident(s) as well as the LLC members. This would simply be so that any winnings would be declared by LLC and then distributed legally to the members based on ownership. This is not intended to bet sports or gamble in the traditional sense.... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Jul 25, 2021

Perhaps you don't understand that you have asked a Florida law question about Nevada law; you should ask it in Justia > Ask a Lawyer > Florida.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Nevada on
Q: If an employee quits or gets fired and the uniform is dirty is the company allowed to charge said employee for cleaning?

And that also goes with if the employee doesn't turn in their uniform the employer withholds their check or just charges them for the shirts for example so they can get there check. And I've known this company to withhold checks because paperwork hasn't been turned in.

Rhiannon Herbert
Rhiannon Herbert answered on Jul 20, 2021

Employers may take deductions from your paychecks for these things, but the deduction cannot be so much that it brings your average hourly rate of pay below your state's minimum wage.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Nevada on
Q: Can they take back a job offer due to ch. 7 bankruptcy?

Files last year due to covid and most of income from partner. Got job offer and they’re doing background check. Only negative thing would be the bankruptcy. Can they take back offer due to that?

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jul 10, 2021

They can take back their offer for any reason or no reason at all, at any time.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Nevada on
Q: How can I invoke NRS. 163.170?
Dara Joy Goldsmith
Dara Joy Goldsmith answered on Jul 2, 2021

NRS 163.170 is a trust administration statute, not an estate planning statute. In order to respond to the question and possibly determine whether that statute even applies to your situation, it would probably be better to formulate your inquiry with some facts to describe why/why not you want it... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Nevada on
Q: if i started a case rep myself then got and attorney and then the attorney fell of . can i file documents myself again

a document he provided for signature. my i file that myself since hes mia

Dara Joy Goldsmith
Dara Joy Goldsmith answered on Jun 21, 2021

You will need to file a substitution of attorney in the proper person. The self help center will have forms that you can use to achieve that objective.

2 Answers | Asked in Probate for Nevada on
Q: My father died in Las Vegas without a will. I have a estranged half sister. Does the court automatically give her half?

I’m going to file the set aside and mail her notice and wondering if I will get the entire estate if she doesn’t file an objection or will the court just automatically give her half without her showing up in court or objecting. We haven’t seen her for 30 years so the chance of her responding... Read more »

Jonathan Craig Reed
Jonathan Craig Reed answered on Jun 21, 2021

If your father died without a Will and the "estranged" daughter is his biological daughter and you and she are the only children he ever had and he died unmarried, she gets half of his estate just like you. If you fail to mention her in paperwork you file you will be committing a fraud.... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Nevada on
Q: I have a traffic citation from yesterday, June 18, 2021, for permitting my unlicensed 15 1/2 year old minor daughter to

drive on a Clark County street. I was "compliant" per officer.

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh answered on Jun 19, 2021

Is your question what you should do? I would contact a traffic ticket lawyer in your area and ask him what he recommends. Depending on the circumstances of why your vehicle was pulled over, there could be some leniency on the prosecuting attorney's part.

2 Answers | Asked in Products Liability, Identity Theft, Intellectual Property and Small Claims for Nevada on
Q: Social Security Administration lost my passports when sending us back through USPS without insurance. Possible to claim?

I applied for my 3-yr old daughter's social security number for her health insurance. Because of Covid, SSA required us to submit the original copies of her and my passports at their office. Once my daughter was approved of the SSN, the SSA office sent us back the passports through uninsured... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 11, 2021

You should make a report to the post office. Take your copy of that report and make a claim to Social Security. They may want to you reapply for your daughter's passport so they have the copy of the bills. They say no, talk to your congressperson & Senators--each has a staff member to... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.