Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Georgia Identity Theft Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Identity Theft for Georgia on
Q: How can i sue an ex-boyfriend for stealing $75000 from me when the cops said there isnt anything they can do?

My ex-boyfriend linked his cashapp cards to my account without my approval or knowledge. It turned out to be a very abusive relationship 911 was called 9 times either by me or my neighbors and was not allowed to get my mail. I never saw any bank statements until a couple of months before he was... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury, Identity Theft and Internet Law for Georgia on
Q: A major US retailer has a bug on their website that exposes customer info. What are my options here?

I’ve contacted the retailer and they took 27 days to respond to my email and they said they opened an investigation. They seem to not be in any rush with this.

I would like to stress that this is a MAJOR US retailer.

Other customers’ information just started popping up into my... Read more »

Kimberly Grant
Kimberly Grant
answered on Apr 23, 2022

You very well may have a claim for this data breach which could result in compensation to you. A complaint would likely need to be filed against the retailer in order to make sure the flaw in their software is fixed. You should contact a lawyer in Georgia as soon as possible to explore this matter... Read more »

Q: Can you please help me on what the best thing to do is or can i get a attorney

My identity was stolen and used for business fraud. Also issues worth the epa and dtsc.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Oct 10, 2021

A Georgia attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Your post is very brief and it could be difficult for someone to figure out what kind of attorney you're looking for. You could try reposting (don't include personal information - this is a public forum),... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Identity Theft and Small Claims for Georgia on
Q: If someone was arrested for using my card and I want to drop the charges will the arresting officer obligee


The woman charged was tricked into using it under instruction of her boyfriend who was responsible for finding my wallet

Cory D. Raines
Cory D. Raines
answered on Oct 3, 2021

This depends on several factors. However, contacting the prosecutor's office and letting them know that you don't want her to be charged is a first step. You can request to fill out a non-prosecution affidavit, but ultimately it is up to the prosecution to determine if they will dismiss... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Georgia on
Q: I have a warrent for identity theft If its my 2nd charge and I'm not on probation can i get a bond

If I pay the card ofd then turn myself in will it help

Nelson Craig Johnson
Nelson Craig Johnson
answered on Aug 9, 2021

It will be up to the discretion of a judge if they permit bond. However, your alleged crime is not one that poses substantial risk of physical harm to others, so it is likely they would let you bond out, unless you have prior charges other than identity theft.

With regard to turning...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Identity Theft for Georgia on
Q: Do you handle bank account fraud?

A friend of mine had a text from Zelle (aka Synovus Bank) regarding a suspicious transaction. They asked personal questions, in which he answered. Within 6 minutes they transfered over $7,000! He disputed it with the bank in which there turned down. He also reported it to the police with the name... Read more »

Sabrina A. Parker
Sabrina A. Parker
answered on Aug 6, 2021

You should go to the bank directly and speak with the branch President and explain what happened and see if they can reverse the charges. If the number on your caller ID is a Synovus Bank number, they may be more inclined to investigate the matter and possibly reverse the charges.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Georgia on
Q: Information below

If I have a bank account in my name and my ex is a sub person on the account but her checks are direct deposited to my account and I close the account due to her hacking in and changing all of my information on my bank account where I could no longer get into my account. As well as my emails and... Read more »

Priscilla T. Upshaw
Priscilla T. Upshaw
answered on Jan 16, 2020

It would depend greatly on what you mean by “hacking in” to determine whether you have a cause of action. If she is/was also an authorized account user, she would be/is legally permitted to make changes to the account. However, if she has defrauded you or misappropriated/stolen funds, you may... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Identity Theft, Small Claims and Animal / Dog Law for Georgia on
Q: I have two puppies,they got out of the fence & are trapped at my neighbors house because they have them what can i do?

I couldnt find my puppies when they got loose but i can hear them whining at my neighbors,and everytime i call for them its like they take them inside,and they have pitbulls so i dont know what to do,what can i do about them keeping my puppies? Or if they dont give them back?

Priscilla T. Upshaw
Priscilla T. Upshaw
answered on Nov 22, 2019

Have you called the police? If you have and they classified it as a civil matter, you will need to sue your neighbors for taking your property. It is best to contact an attorney as soon as possible for the safety and well-being of your puppies.

We are certainly glad to assist you. Contact...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Identity Theft, Legal Malpractice and Small Claims for Georgia on
Q: Am I responsible to pay my bank money when I was given a fraudulent loan and I used the money before the check bounced?

The person who deposited the check in my account forged my signature. The loan was for $901.70.

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on Jun 25, 2019

Yes. Why? Because you are the only person who has (or had) the $901.70. Surely you do not expect any bank on this planet to eat money just because you accepted a fraudulent check? No; they are making you eat your own money.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Identity Theft for Georgia on
Q: I wanted to know if paying a lawyer for rent via bank of america from an ad to rent a house is a scam?




Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on May 27, 2019

Your question is very hard to read because IT IS IN ALL CAPS; and the facts are very confusing as well. I suggest you sit down in a quiet place and compose a more coherent question.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Georgia on
Q: What's the charge for showing or providing a licence, that is NOT yours to a peace officer?

Officers, stop a car and the driver provides a license that is a friend's license.

David Edward Boyle
David Edward Boyle
answered on Aug 22, 2018


1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Identity Theft and White Collar Crime for Georgia on
Q: Can a person be charged with forgery of a financial credit card if they never used it

The person was in possession of 19 so called fraudulent credit cards but never used them

David Edward Boyle
David Edward Boyle
answered on Aug 7, 2018

Possession of a forged card is a crime if there was intent to defraud someone. The use of the card is an additional crime of financial transaction card fraud, also a felony.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Divorce and Identity Theft for Georgia on
Q: Is it legal for a woman to use her maiden and married name,as two separate entities and destroy the credit of separated
Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV
answered on May 8, 2018

Typically, people only use one name. If someone is using two names to be deceptive or commit fraud, then that would not be proper. If you are concerned she is doing something to damage your name and credit speak with an attorney. -Homer P. Jordan IV, Esq. 404-620-1558

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft and Small Claims for Georgia on
Q: If you check your credit score and a different name other than yours pop up and two addresses for that person.

What do i do? Can i sue them especially if i know that person.

David Humphreys
David Humphreys
answered on Nov 16, 2017

your problem is likely with the credit reporting agency. You need a consultation with a lawyer who handles cases under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law and Identity Theft for Georgia on
Q: I keep getting harassed by debt collectors over a debt that was not mine and was included in a bankruptcy. Its been 14yr

Debt collectors are still harassing me via phone and letter over a cell phone bill that belonged to my mother. The company that issued the collection claims the account was in my name, however I was just an added line on to my mothers account. I also was a minor when my phone plan was added on to... Read more »

David Humphreys
David Humphreys
answered on Oct 4, 2017

from the sound of your email you have a very solid case. You need a lawyer to represent you. You should not pay anything. You have claims for invasion of privacy and likely, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Search the internet or contact my office if you'd like.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander, Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for Georgia on
Q: If a person calls impersonating a lawyer is it an arrestable offense?

The person in question was just released from jail on drug and gun charges.

William C. Head
William C. Head PRO label
answered on Apr 7, 2017

Possibly so, but the circumstances of the event will determine that. For example, if the person claimed being an attorney to convince you to send him/her money to settle a lawsuit or claim, that would likely be something a Prosecutor would want to pursue. Having a recording of the exact statements... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft for Georgia on
Q: If someone has stolen my identity how do I get my name cleared?
Burton A. Padove
Burton A. Padove
answered on Jul 6, 2011

File a report with the police department 2. Notify all of your creditors and you may want to consider cancelling all of your accounts 3. File an Identity Theft Affidavit with Experian, Transunion and Equifax. 4. Place an alert on your credit. 5. consider posting a notice on the internet and in... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.