Land Use & Zoning Questions & Answers by State

Land Use & Zoning Questions & Answers

Q: my sister bought a house and a few months later had to shellout $8000 for a new roof. Can she sue the previous owner?

2 Answers | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Lemon Law, Real Estate Law and Small Claims for Ohio on
Answered on Oct 10, 2017

Anyone can sue anybody for anything. But litigation is expensive, and the cost of litigation to prove fraud, could be nearly what she is claiming in damages, and the seller would not have to pay her attorney fees even if she wins. And she could lose - if a court determined that she should have gotten a more thorough inspection of a 1960s vintage home. The court could say she should have had a roof inspection that could have told her it was the original roof. The seller could deny telling...
View Details »

Q: Landlocked land in morrow county due to I 71. What recourse do we have today as the current landowners?

2 Answers | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Ohio on
Answered on Oct 6, 2017

Since you did not purchase the real property already landlocked, you should be able to file an action in the Common Pleas Court to obtain a proscriptive easement.
View Details »

Q: What would be the best way to go about buying the land or whatever?

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Land Use & Zoning, Mergers & Acquisitions and Real Estate Law on
Answered on Sep 28, 2017

There are a variety of ways to protect your investment in the farm. You could buy your father out now on an installment sale so when he dies, your family gets paid the remainder and the money is split according to your father's Will or Trust. Your father gives you a note which is interest only and becomes due when he dies and you can use the Note to offset the purchase price. Your father can give you an option to buy the farm at his death for a specific amount and with appropriate terms,...
View Details »

Q: Mother died. Left house, buyer claims all land with purchase. Half property 100% to mom's sis who didnt sale. What now?

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Land Use & Zoning for Texas on
Answered on Sep 24, 2017

Ask the lawyer representing the sister to contact the title company. The title insurance insures that the seller had good and marketable title to what was sold.
View Details »


1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Florida on
Answered on Sep 22, 2017

Best answer, since I do not have a copy of the lease to review is maybe.

Based upon the 2 years of asking and likely new or compounded issues from hurricane Irma you are probably at the point to want to seek legal action. If so then you need to consult with a tenant attorney in your area about the specifics of your lease to determine if the lease requires the landlord to fix or replace. To be clear Florida law does not require that a landlord provide AC but if the same was added to the...
View Details »

Q: How to get a drug addict roommate to leave the house as quickly as possible in Ohio?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio on
Answered on Sep 21, 2017

Your friend is in a tough spot. The aunt has to be the person to evict him, as she is the owner of the house. That process requires a 30 day notice, then a 3 day notice, then a couple weeks for a hearing, then a week or so for the eviction. There are special provisions for a landlord to evict a tenant suspected of drug activity, but then the aunt will find out. The aunt should use the Find a Lawyer tab and consult a local attorney to assist her.
View Details »

Q: Can I relocate a right of way on my property to another location on the property?

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Sep 18, 2017

If there is an agreement between the parties to re-locate the right of way, you can do that. If there is no agreement between the parties to re-locate, a lawyer would have to review any recorded right of way instrument to determine if the right of way can be re-located. If there is no recorded right of way instrument, a lawyer would have to review the whole situation to see what kind of rights your neighbor has. For example, if his property is landlocked, he may have an "easement of...
View Details »

Q: I am interested in obtaining a lease on a "land locked" parcel of land (A).

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Louisiana on
Answered on Sep 18, 2017

I would not assume that a utility servitude should equate to access and the servitude is likely only in favor or the utility company. Pull the land record granting the servitude to confirm its extent and also attempt to contact the owner of parcel B to see what, if anything, you can work out for access - confirmed in writing -- prior to leasing.
View Details »

Q: Hello, What are the constraints related to the use of this intellectual property

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Intellectual Property and Land Use & Zoning on
Answered on Sep 17, 2017

Generally speaking, you cannot use someone else's intellectual property without their consent. There are very few exceptions to that basic rule, such as parody or fair use in copyright. You should seek the advice of an attorney before doing anything that could be construed as copyright violation, because copyright (unlike trademarks and patents) has potential criminal penalties associated with unauthorized duplication.

Good luck!

Griffin Klema
View Details »

Q: My mom has a neighbor that is building a structure on land that belongs to her. How do we stop it?

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for California on
Answered on Sep 15, 2017

An unauthorized trespass on another person’s property is called an encroachment. First, one must confirm that the area of land in dispute is in fact owned by your mother. This can be done by hiring a professional surveyor to survey the land to confirm the property boundaries.

Once it is confirmed that there is an encroachment on the property, I suggest your mother speak to the neighbor and let them know that they are encroaching upon her property and ask them to remove the structure...
View Details »

Q: My mother passed away 5 years ago and I have been living in the home. The property was left to me, my sister and brother

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Probate for Alabama on
Answered on Sep 13, 2017

You did not say if the will was ever offered for probate. That is a key point. If it has been more than 5 years since your mother's death the will can't be offered for probate, and the estate would be handled as in intestate succession -- as if there was no will. I don't think your brother can make you leave the property. The fact that he pays the taxes on these facts does not mean that he can get the property because he pays property tax. If he means to or not, he is paying property tax on...
View Details »

Q: Can a land owner tell me what to do if i own the home but not the property it sits on?

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Sep 12, 2017

Look at your lot agreement. Many have such restrictions. If you've lost yours ask for a copy.
View Details »

Q: Can I still do a Allodial Title in NJ? They will not allow me to do a land patent in this state.

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Patents and Real Estate Law for New Jersey on
Answered on Sep 11, 2017


Because any land in NJ is subject to the US Constitution, the government has the right of eminent domain.

You will have to continue to pay taxes. Sorry.

(Disclaimer: I do not do real estate law, just patent law, but this seemed like an easy question to answer. Corrections are welcomed)
View Details »

Q: Can my nabor close off a road to make speed bumps and other road obstacles to impair our ability to drive on said road?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for California on
Answered on Sep 6, 2017

Has he built this road on his private property? Is the road your only form of accessing your property? Is he in compliance with city laws re: construction of the road? You can access copies of construction permits at the County clerk's office. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/...
View Details »

Q: Have retaining wall on property line, specifically was told not ours, now neibor says it is. Options? More to story.

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Illinois on
Answered on Sep 5, 2017

You can obtain a survey of the property, and consult with a real estate attorney to determine the best manner in which to move forward. A real estate attorney can also search public records and attempt to work a deal out with the neighbor, depending on the results of the survey/record search.
View Details »

Q: what are my rights as a sub-leaser who has had property damage from a leak in the building?

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for New York on
Answered on Aug 29, 2017

File small claim against landlord and tenant who caused the problem.
View Details »

Q: My neighbor wants to build a 2nd inward facing fence(behind chainlink) on her property. Does this affect mne in any way?

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Florida on
Answered on Aug 24, 2017

No way to give a opinion or value change via this online forum.

Some communities and counties require that the smooth side of a fence face the niehhbor.

You may want to check to see if your area has fence codes.

Also I've see no reason for you to sign anything if the neighbor is erecting a fence within the boundary of their property other than the above.

Good luck.
View Details »

Q: We have a RLT in California. Can we transfer our Oklahoma land to it Preliminary change of ownership and grant deed ?

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Oklahoma on
Answered on Aug 23, 2017

This is really simple. Just need the owners names, trustee names, name of the trust and date of creation, legal description and filing fees. Really inexpensive to have an Oklahoma compliant deed created by an attorney.
View Details »

Q: How many years does it take for a deed restriction/covenant in Florida to expire & no longer apply to a property?

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Florida on
Answered on Aug 21, 2017

30 Years via the marketable record title act. However. I strongly suggest that you consult with an experienced real estate attorney before you start making in plans in contravention of the restriction in your deed.
View Details »

Q: What real legal authority does an HOA have over what I do or put up in my fenced backyard

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Florida on
Answered on Aug 17, 2017

There are governing documents and rules the association set that are recorded with the county. You need to get a copy of them and read them or have a lawyer read them and give an opinion what you cannot do. IF the docs say no pools then sorry you cannot put one up as you agreed to the restrictions when buying there (and your attorney at closing would have told you that but I assume none was hired)
View Details »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.