Securities Law Q&A by State

Your current state is Virginia

Show More States »

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Securities Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law and Stockbroker Fraud for Texas on
Q: When Transfer my IRA plan to my new employer retirement, about 30 thousand dollars were missing . I need legal advice
Ross B. Intelisano
Ross B. Intelisano answered on May 1, 2020

That's terrible. I recommend that you find an attorney in Texas to help you. There is an organization called PIABA made up of lawyers who represent investors. Here is the website. You can search for a local lawyer on the website. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Securities Law for Texas on
Q: How do I obtain a copy of my public record in Walker County Texas; Doc no. 00025169 vol no 01248 page no. 00354?

I need to refile this in the Texas Secretary of State.... I need Instructions how to transfer this into the UCC Financial Filing Dept.

Tri Minh Nguyen
Tri Minh Nguyen answered on Apr 29, 2020

The recording information looks like it's a real property recording. You can pull the information here:

Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Landlord - Tenant and Securities Law for Indiana on
Q: can my landloard record audio out side my front door with out my consent im in bluffton IN
Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko answered on Apr 19, 2020

Basically, a person can record anything that he or she was privileged to hear in the first place. If the landlord was in a place he was entitled to be, he can record whatever he was entitled to hear.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Intellectual Property and Securities Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: If I left my stuff at a boarding school, and they threw my stuff away. Am I allowed to sue them for it? Usa. PA
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Apr 17, 2020

If they had a stated policy that things left would be disposed of they can do that. A bit tacky, but they could.

Contact the Education Law Center about your rights.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Securities Law for Arkansas on
Q: is it a violation on HIPAA to comment on a Facebook and mention that a co-worker of mine who may be sick

I included our. place of work but no details about the individual. It was unknowingly because I am not aware of HIPAA laws. I was also fired for this. I am now afraid legal action will be taken

Jarred Kibbey
Jarred Kibbey answered on Mar 30, 2020

I would need more information to determine if it was a HIPAA violation. Specifically, what kind of work were you engaged in? Also, there is no private right of action in HIPAA, so even if you violated HIPAA laws, your employer or former co-worker could not use HIPAA as a basis for legal action.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Securities Law for California on
Q: I understand that If a private company uses a unlicensed agent to raise assets, that's an SEC violation.

However, is there anything in it for me to turn the company in?

The company has gone from zero value to $85 million in value and used me, a misclassified independent consultant, to raise money for them. I am going after the company based on being misclassified. But, could I receive... Read more »

Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on Mar 24, 2020

In my opinion, there is nothing in it for you. The whistleblower statute was created as an incentive for people to report fraud on the government, or waste of government assets or expenditures. I don’t see that in this situation.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Securities Law for Florida on
Q: How serious is it if somebody who has a series 7 license opens an account in my mine and then cashes out the profits?

I have discovered that my spouse forged my signature to open an investment account in my name and then cashed out and I don't know where the money went. Is this something I should report to his employer? The company in which is opened the account?

So far I discovered he opened an... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Mar 11, 2020

This is called stealing. And if the person who did the stealing is a licensed security salesperson there are several more crimes being committed. You need to START with the company; and you must tell them everything--not just the stuff you do not like.

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law for Nevada on
Q: If I buy ads to promote a widely published stock analysis after I purchase the stock, is that market manipulation?

If I'm a stock investor and I read articles about XYZ stock being under valued by 20%, I like the reasoning so I decide to buy the stock. After buying the stock I want to share this article with other traders so I buy "native" ads on news publications to share the article wide and... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Feb 27, 2020

You appear to have missed the area of most vulnerability. Rather than worrying about being charged with market manipulation if I were you I would worry more about incoming flak the owners of the copyrights on the articles you are planning to copy without permission and use them to make money.

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law for Florida on
Q: Does fiduciary duty flow to a beneficiary of an IRA that was held in an advisory account in Connecticut?

This case involves GSB Wealth Management in Connecticut and Fidelity Investments, corporate headquarters in Boston.

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Feb 18, 2020

Your question cannot be answered appropriately without more information--such as whether the owner of the IRA is alive or not. Generally, banks and all other financial institutions have a fiduciary relationship with (owe allegiance to) all their customers--and are required by law to do the right... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Products Liability and Securities Law for Nebraska on
Q: How do we get started inventing something!?

If I wanted to invent something how do I start

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Feb 11, 2020

A patent attorney could advise you, but they would have better chances of seeing your question under the heading Patents (Intellectual Property). Product Liability involves injuries from defective products. You could try reposting in the Patents category. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Securities Law for Missouri on
Q: I have a legal question regarding forming an investment newsletter business that is not registered as a financial advise

I have a legal question regarding forming an investment newsletter business that is not registered as a financial adviser. Is this legal? I plan to send an email to paid subscribers based on trades I personally place. They are free to do what they want with the information. I plan to do business in... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Feb 4, 2020

Although I am not licensed to practice law in Georgia or Missouri I can tell you with some certainty that what you are trying to do--become a financial advisor--will require you to get some sort of license(s) regardless of where you live.

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law for New York on
Q: In New Jersey, can a security guard from a major Amusement Park Six Flags question a minor in a room with just them two?

My son was caught taking a hat from six flags over the summer. Yes he was wrong. They revoked him pass for a year. I’m fine with that. I’m not fine that he was questioned alone at first before they brought his older brother in and another security officer. A few months later we received a fine... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jan 17, 2020

I'm sorry for your family's ordeal. A possible reason your post remains open for two weeks might be that it may have gone unnoticed under Securities Law, which is more about transactions dealing with financial assets like stocks and bonds. At this point, you could seek the opinion of a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law for Florida on
Q: Can an Issuer sell securities in Delaware that have been qualified per reg a tier one ?

If the answer is yes, what is the process and cost to blue sky ?

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Jan 4, 2020

You should ask your question in Justia › Ask a Lawyer › Delaware › Securities Law ›.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Securities Law for Georgia on
Q: In Georgia, who can I sue for security deposit - landlord or property manager (as owner's designated agent)?
Priscilla T. Upshaw
Priscilla T. Upshaw answered on Jan 1, 2020

The landlord is the proper party to sue. If the landlord is unavailable, then pursue a case against the landlord’s agent.

I wish you well.

-The Upshaw Law Firm, (770) 240-0922.

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law for Washington on
Q: I was a victim of securities fraud how can I file a case of be included on a case

Marcus Beam represented himself to me as a private equity account manager. I invested around $70'000 which I never received after filing redemption papers. This happen in Chicago. I recently moved to Washington

Deanna Besbekos-LaPage Esq.
Deanna Besbekos-LaPage Esq. answered on Dec 30, 2019

I am sorry to hear that this happened to you. If Mr. Beam was a registered FINRA Broker, you can file a case in the FINRA arbitration against the brokerage that he was working for at the time. We would be happy to help you with this issue. Our firm represents clients of brokers, brokerage firms,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Securities Law for Florida on
Q: At age 71 the Mortality Table estimated my death at age 78. Yet a CFP recommended an Allianz Annuity Fixed Index which

would provide monthly payments to begin at 81! And draconian penalties should I seek withdrawals in the first 7 years.

Do these facts indicate a breach of Fiduciary Duty, fraud,etc. on the part of the CFP and or Allianz. My is 561 400-2721.

Samuel B. Edwards
Samuel B. Edwards answered on Dec 29, 2019

Generally speaking, there are very limited reasons to sell an annuity to someone who is over 70. Based on the limited facts you have provided here, it seems like this would have bee a completely unsuitable investment for you and could be a breach of fiduciary duty as well has violation of various... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law for New Jersey on
Q: Am I legally allowed to receive a fee (finders fee) for making an introduction to someone who gave a loan to a business?

I understand that I can’t receive a fee if I find an investor - but I’m assuming a loan would be ok?

Thank you.

Paul J. Riviere
Paul J. Riviere answered on Dec 16, 2019

Generally speaking you can legally pay a referral fee on a commercial loan. For example if you apply for a commercial loan online via a lending aggregator, a referral fee may be charged to the loan. Lender will often pay this fee, but some aggregators pass this tax the borrower.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Securities Law, Stockbroker Fraud and Consumer Law on
Q: Can I hold an OL investment facility liable for not activating my account on time & losing on an important transaction?

I opened an online account with an investment facility, they ensured me that it would be activated after 24-48 hours. After 7 days, it is still not activated as I hoped and the 7th day was the deadline of a transaction that I wanted to do using the account. Furthermore I told them of the urgency... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Dec 13, 2019

Probably not--unless you can prove up some financial damages. Speculative losses are not reliable; neither are speculative gains. Brokerage firms--online or otherwise--cannot be held liable for mistakes that do not actually harm the customer.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Securities Law for Maryland on
Q: I am being charged 24.22 % for a loan this is higher than the usury law. I have a secured loan and the contract has

The contract has expired on my secured loan which I secured with my vehicle but I still owe the fees for late payments. Can my vehicle still be reprocessed? I have paid $2200 of the $ 3300 of late fees I owed.

Cedulie Renee Laumann
Cedulie Renee Laumann answered on Nov 26, 2019

Maryland usury law is rather complicated and has all sorts of different rates of interest depending on the situation. For instance, the maximum legal rate of interest permissible for a Maryland loan might be 6%, 8%, 18% or 33% depending on the facts.

If after looking at the various...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law for Michigan on
Q: Is there a way to check that an expungement does not come up on a check for the U4 FINRA Application for securities?

This is for Michigan.

I have had a background check and have searched the Michigan State Police site and done another background check on myself and it didn't show up. I just don't know if there is another way they can see it or find an expunged record.

How can I... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Nov 18, 2019

If you have a court order granting an expungment, they you can honestly say you do not have a misdemeanor. An expunged conviction is "non-public"; it does not disappear. Courts and law enforcement have access to expunged convictions. Further, depending on how detailed an employer or... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.