Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Arbitration / Mediation Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Estate Planning for Wisconsin on
Q: Our family cabin has 6 owners listed as tenants in common. One of the owners changed the locks and will not give keys.

What legal right do they have to do this and what are the other owners rights for seeking entry into their own property?

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Sep 22, 2021

A co-owner does not have the right to exclude another co-owner. You can take the owner that locked you out to court for a variety of remedies but probably the best remedy in the long run would be for you to obtain a court order to force the sale of the property and then split the proceeds. If you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for California on
Q: Can I respond to a summons with a E-203 - Stipulation and Order to Arbitration/Mediation form?

Recently being sued for on a civil case. I'm still within the 30 day period to respond. I would like to exercise the ADR option, which was included on my summons. Will filing the E-203 - Stipulation and Order to Arbitration/Mediation form suffice as a legal response?

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Sep 21, 2021

It took 20 minutes to hunt down the Sacramento County Local Court form E-203. No, this is not a response to a summons and complaint and if this is all you file, you will be defaulted and could have a default judgment entered against you. This is an ATTACHMENT to a stipulation for the Court to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Tennessee on
Q: How do I proceed (I am the renter) with the arbitration mandated in my apartment lease?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 14, 2021

A Tennessee attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. You could consider reposting and adding Landlord-Tenant as a category, especially if the substantive law involved in your matter involves a L-T issue. You're correct in choosing arbitration as a heading, but... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Civil Litigation for Alabama on
Q: What is the law when it comes to separation before divorce in AL? Can you move out immediately?

I am miserable living under the same roof with my spouse. I came clean about being gay, and admitted to an emotional affair - but no intimacy took place. I'm too afraid to leave because he'll say I abandoned my house and belongings. We don't talk, just argue and ignore each other.... Read more »

Shane Michael Oncale
Shane Michael Oncale answered on Sep 13, 2021

I cannot tell you how much confusion there is out there on the streets with this concept of "abandonment." Once upon a time (not as long ago as you would think but long enough ago that it doesn't bear more than a few words to address) you had to prove cause to get a divorce. There... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Copyright and Arbitration / Mediation Law for California on
Q: His do I file a formal writ to the courts for personal possession?
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Sep 13, 2021

Some Judicial Council forms deal with the right to possession. They can be found on your Local Superior Court website under "Forms: State forms". They may give you some ideas, and they will cite some statutes regarding writs for possession. Consult a local attorney about recovering... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law, Civil Rights and Environmental for Michigan on
Q: have a general question about noise. I have very sensitive hearing and autism and other disorders. I've contacted the bu

have a general question about noise. I have very sensitive hearing and autism and other disorders. I've contacted the business and the police about the noise but unfortunately it's gone on deaf ears. They keep playing music outside that's pounding and I'm right behind their... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Sep 3, 2021

You could try contacting the city's neighborhood / code enforcement section. If the offending property is a business, there could be some abatement issues they could consider. But if the noise falls within the city's code concerning noise (e.g. it's within prescribed reason, etc.),... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Bankruptcy, Tax Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Ohio on
Q: Can an employer be pursued for monies incorrectly withheld and paid to a municipality due to an acknowledged error?

Hired in 2005, I moved to a virtual role during 2012. Following a bankruptcy discharge in 2018 I was notified of a municipal income tax deficiency owed to my residence city. Upon receipt of the notification I worked with the tax authority to attempt to reconcile. This included providing copies of... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Sep 1, 2021


2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law, Tax Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Kentucky on
Q: Late September earlyOctober 2020 I noticed my neighbor's property up for sale by owner Had a verbal agreement

Purchase a home and offered asking price if the seller agreed to close before the end of the year

Seller agreed no less then 3verbally ie phone 4 in person seller remove the for sale sign from the yard only to change their mind and not sell to me

don't know if there's... Read more »

Jerome P. Prather
Jerome P. Prather answered on Aug 30, 2021

Under Kentucky law, contracts for the sale of real estate generally must be in writing before they can be enforced. KRS 371.010. A lawyer may be able to help you with your specific situation.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Kansas on
Q: I need to know the correct court to get an arbitration award confirmed in Kansas

The award is for $2,480,000 and the defendant does business in Johnson County Kansas and I live in Jackson County Missouri.

David H. Relkin
David H. Relkin answered on Aug 25, 2021

I am not admitted in Kansas but the procedure is virtually the same in New York. An Award is not enforceable until it is "confirmed into a judgment."

The procedure appears to be dealt with in Article 5 of the Consolidated Laws of Kansas:

[2016 Kansas Statutes...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Probate and Estate Planning for Utah on
Q: How do I get a tax id number on my family trust I'm trying to collect on a annuity and don't have the actual trust
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore answered on Aug 23, 2021

Your best answer depends on a few things that an attorney would need to discuss with you. If you don't have a copy of the Trust, you need help proving your authority as the Trustee. If you are the creator of the Trust, you can always sign an updated version of the Trust. If you are an heir and... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Colorado on
Q: Ex wife won't comply to court order, My motions keep getting denid. I just want my name off the mortgage/ loan. Thanx

She had 2 years to get refinanced and now it 4 months past that. I keep filling motions because it was already meditated, but she won't comply and won't agree to a new mediation. My last motion to go back to the original order has been denied. What can I do ? She's just prolonging... Read more »

Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko answered on Aug 20, 2021

If she will not comply with a court order, you can move to enforce. I don't know what has been happening in your case with your motions.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Michigan on
Q: Arbitrator Judge awarded amount, reheard, raised it 3 times, now it will go to Circuit Ct to increase. What do we do?

We went to trial in Arbitration and the Judge awarded the plaintiff an amount. Then Plaintiff took it to rehear and the award amount was raised 3 times, the judge recognizing their attorney fees but not recognizing ours. Even so, now they will take it to Circuit Court to increase this award even... Read more »

Michael Zamzow
Michael Zamzow answered on Aug 20, 2021

Maybe. You can contact an attorney, although it reads like you have counsel.

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Employment Law for Texas on
Q: 1. If employer forces arbitration agreement for employment, can they threaten to take legal action in employee handbook?

I was questioned by HHS at our facility there investigating a report, anonymously made of neglect. I confirmed and reported other things that I knew about.

I took a lunch break and was suspended when I returned. Terminated 3 days later

They had the DRP in my suspension letter.... Read more »

David H. Relkin
David H. Relkin answered on Aug 18, 2021

Their actions, as you describe them are odious. Yes, they are bound by the written agreement which, as you say (I believe) provides for arbitration. In addition, there may be legal impropriety in their obtaining knowledge of the HHS report.

If you like I can review the agreement for...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Criminal Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Arizona on
Q: Re U-Haul charges for stolen truck under my name. I did get the insurance on the truck and will be pressing charges

U-Haul still wants to charge me for stolen vehicle and who know what else.

I want to know what is the first best route to start this legally. Should I arbitrate or go to court...based on not much experience.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 13, 2021

An Arizona attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. There could be provisions in your agreement that address arbitration. Some contracts have clauses that require arbitration over court - some contracts do not have such clauses. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law on
Q: Is the resolution valid?

In order to save the transportation cost, time effort and minimize accidents and crimes,

Mayor Alaws passed a resolution requiring all parents, under pain of penalty if they don't,

send their school children to a public elementary school nearest their residence. Is the... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 30, 2021

These situations sometimes depend on decisions made within the school districts, and they are not always published in court reporters or other online legal databases. You could consult with an attorney local to the area familiar with education law/municipal law specific to the school district. Good... Read more »

Q: I was fired on my birthday, during my third week of employment. Possible hostile work environment. Where do I start?

I was referred to as "Lawrence Olivier" by my boss. He was famous for blackface.

I am black.

Other jokes about green cards were made...I applied for a job as assistant manager. They made me a receptionist instead, saying if I proved myself I could become an assistant.... Read more »

Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen answered on Jul 26, 2021

Absent an unlawful motive, it is not unlawful for an employer to act as you have noted. It would only be considered unlawful if you can prove that the motivation for the employer's conduct is race (or national origin if the green card comments were related thereto). Proof will be the issue.... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Probate for Ohio on
Q: I lived with my fiancé for 17 years. We ran a business together out of the house for the last 11 years. She died.

She left the house to her sister. I knew that. However, they took the business name and accounts and took control of the business PO Box and all incoming checks and entered them into probate in Greene Co. Ohio. I subsequently had to file all necessary paperwork and obtain a new federal EIM and new... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Jul 19, 2021

If there is an operating agreement or partnership agreement for the company, you could make a claim for your share of the ownership. If any of your personal property was removed from the house, you could make a claim for return of that. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney to... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for New Jersey on
Q: How much alimony am I entitled to get?

My husband filed for divorce after marriage of 27 months.He filed for divorce in new jersey.He is 32 years old citizen.I am 27 years old green card holder.He earns 70k and I earn 20k annually. I am not having any usa educational degree. He brought house and car before marriage.

What can I... Read more »

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer answered on Jul 16, 2021

These questions cannot be decided in a vacuum like this. You need to retain an experienced matrimonial attorney to protect your interests in this matter. This is not a do-it-yourself project. You can "meet" your attorney by way of a secured video conference or in person. Remember, a good... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law on
Q: How can my fiancé get divorce if his wife don’t want nothing to do with him
David H. Relkin
David H. Relkin answered on Jul 15, 2021

The simple answer is that your fiance must commence a divorce action against his wife to terminate the marriage.

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Tennessee on
Q: If you have received inheritance can your family claim your moneywithout acknowledgement
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Jul 13, 2021

If you have property that is owned by others, then yes the rightful heirs can claim the property. This is especially true when a Probate Administration is filed and the Administrator is marshaling up the assets. Criminal charges may be possible. Nonlawyers can lie to you about what they are... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.