Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
North Dakota Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for North Dakota on
Q: Am I able to still sue Vioxx after the death of my father or has the statue of limitations ran out?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 13, 2021

I'm very sorry for the loss of your father. Your question remains open for two weeks. At this point, you could reach out to law firms that handle product liability/wrongful death matters involving pharmaceuticals. The firms that handle such cases are often large, and they often handle multiple... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for North Dakota on
Q: Legal complaint filed, time frame police are to investigate notify you


Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Nov 18, 2021

The statute of limitations depends on the crime.

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for North Dakota on
Q: Can my po keep me in Inpatient treatment as long as they see fit without giving me an actual release date?
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Nov 8, 2021

This is Probate, not probation. Post your question under Criminal Law in ND.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for North Dakota on
Q: I have been "sued" by a debt collector but they didn't file with the court, they only served me. Is something off?

I received a Summons and Complaint for District Court in ND from a debt collector alleging I owed a debt. When I presented to the district court to file my declaration of service on the plaintiff, my affidavit of service, and Answer I was told the court had no record of the suit. The debt collector... Read more »

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Oct 5, 2021

Hard to tell. In North Dakota, you can serve a lawsuit and file it later. So you could be sued before the person or company suing you files it with the court.

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for North Dakota on
Q: 2nd dui. 2 year suspension. 1 yr down. Can I get points off to lift restriction?
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Oct 5, 2021

A defensive driving course can take points off your license. However, this will not get your DUI-related suspension reduced. Your best bet may be to get a temporary restricted license while you're waiting to be eligible for renewal.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for North Dakota on
Q: Does Walmart need probable cause demand my receipt as I am walking out the door?

The only thing I could find in the century code was If you set off the electronic detection, that is probable cause. If I have been thru the checkout, paid for all my Items. the items and receipt are now my personal property. Any involuntary search without probable cause should not be legal,... Read more »

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Oct 5, 2021

No, probable cause is a standard for law enforcement rather than Walmart employees. Further, probable cause is the standard to make an arrest or obtain a warrant. In your scenario, neither is occurring. The phrase you might be looking for is "reasonable suspicion."

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for North Dakota on
Q: How can i get a restraining order in ND? Ive been physically assulted by 2 girls and i don't know what they be charged a

I had 2 girls making treats to hurt me and i barely know them. Two days ago they have jumped at me and i have been physically assulted harassed and stalked. I dont know when prosecutor will charge them but i would like to file a restraining order and i dont know first girls full name or any... Read more »

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Oct 5, 2021

You should file a police report. If there is a criminal case filed against them or a juvenile case, it will likely come along with an order prohibiting contact. Otherwise, you'd need to go to the courthouse and request a restraining order.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for North Dakota on
Q: How can you stop child support in North Dakota, if both parties financially care for the child and don't want it?
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Oct 5, 2021

The answer is that you can only completely do away with child support if the parents have equal residential responsibility of a child and incomes which result in a child support obligation of $75 or less and you are granted court approval. Otherwise, the only way to get anywhere not having an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury and Products Liability for North Dakota on
Q: I literally own these products and have been having hair loss and excessive shedding should I sue do I have a case

I have two shampoos as well as conditioners in my bathroom now I had no idea my hair shedding/ loss was because of these products which are the Johnson Johnson’s shampoos and conditioner I seen where someone is suing them because of the same reasons is this worth me even pursuing I don’t want... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 23, 2021

A North Dakota attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. At this point, one option is to reach out to firms dealing with the products you were using. Product liability cases tend to involve extensive research and discovery. A firm that has already looked into or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for North Dakota on
Q: How long do you have until your case expires

How many years do you have on a personal injury case before your case expires ?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 25, 2021

A North Dakota attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. If you reached out to law firms in your state, described your matter, and asked what the statute of limitations is, you'll probably reach an attorney who could tell you the time by which you need to file... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for North Dakota on
Q: Ok my husband has cuatusy of our son only because of the landlord I have wants johnny seen not heard I'm in process of.o

I'm process of divorce. Ex has 3 domestics against him from me he drink often he abused our eldest daughter. But was never reported. She just recently told me when he was drunk 9nce he tried crawling into bed with her naked what chances 9f me getting child aupprt

Tom Murphy
Tom Murphy answered on Mar 21, 2021

I would suggest proofreading any requests you make for legal advice.

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for North Dakota on
Q: Is there a certain amount of time to resolve a dui case?
Rick Sand
Rick Sand answered on Mar 3, 2021

This is a very interesting question. In order to give the best answer, it is important to know a few things: Is this a first offense DUI, or does the person have previous DUI convictions? Does the person have an out-of-state driver's license? Was there a chemical test performed (breath, blood,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation for North Dakota on
Q: Who does Workers Compensation of North Dakota answer to. If I had a complaint who would I talk to.

Why won't a lawyer in ND represent me in front of a law judge. Because injured workers in North Dakota get nothing. Thank you

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Feb 20, 2021

This is something on which a North Dakota attorney attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for four weeks. For insurance matters, most every state has a department of insurance. Situated in Bismarck, there is the North Dakota Insurance Department. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for North Dakota on
Q: How do I handle harrassment in the work place when it is not considered discrimination?

I am a white, single, gay female. I have no reason to be discriminated against (my employers don't care about me being gay). But that doesn't change the fact that they have been singling me out, holding me to different standards compared to my co workers. I've reported multiple... Read more »

Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer answered on Jan 27, 2021

There is not a lot you can do about verbal harassment that is not based upon your membership in a protected class, aside from reporting it to your supervisor and Human Resources. However, if you are experiencing lasting health complications as a result of COVID, you may be eligible for... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Law, Civil Rights, Employment Discrimination and Health Care Law for North Dakota on
Q: What can I do about harrassment in the workplace? HR and state are not doing anything.

I work for a healthcare company and they have singled me out more than once, along with other CNAs, threatened to fire me over being sick and having car problems. And said if I was sick one more time or late due to car problems I would be fired.

Kyle Anderson
Kyle Anderson answered on Jan 21, 2021

Hello, more information is needed here. General sickness is not protected under any federal law. If your illness is caused by a condition that qualifies as a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act, you may have some level of protection. There is no protection for car issues. I would... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for North Dakota on
Q: I was racially profiled at a hotel and accused of selling drugs and the manger allowed a warrant to be used to come

Detain me and destroy my property not to mention no drugs where found or evidence that drugs were being sold i actually had an officer tell me that was profiled because of where I was from and how I looked can I take any legal action towards this ?

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Jan 9, 2021

You need an attorney to make a motion on the issue in the criminal case

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for North Dakota on
Q: If the search warrants are quashed,should you still be charged or should it have been dismissed
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Jan 9, 2021

This is highly dependent on what other evidence exists.

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright for North Dakota on
Q: I have received a copyright infringement notice from my ISP and I have immediately stopped any such activities

I had downloaded a file from torrent and deleted it immediately from my system. I just received a notice that my IP has been associated with such an activity. Now, what can I do?

Steve Charles Vondran
Steve Charles Vondran answered on Dec 24, 2020

You should still consult with a copyright defense law firm so you can see if there might be any future reason to worry. Sometimes things go away, and sometimes they don't. Best to get an idea where you stand after a lawyer reviews the evidence. Is it Strike 3 Holdings by any chance? If so,... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Copyright for North Dakota on
Q: If I post a YouTube video with my own self-made song in it, will third parties be able to infringe copyright?

Basically, I have a short "album" of dingy 1:30 - 3:00 songs that I might want to share with the world via YouTube, but there's the nagging fear in the back of my mind that somebody may be able to use it without my permission. I've discovered that I can order other channels to... Read more »

Steve Charles Vondran
Steve Charles Vondran answered on Dec 7, 2020

Each is own, I usually tell my clients that if they think they have something good, they should pay the minimal fee to get it copyrighted through the United States Copyright Office. Small price to pay and puts one in the best position to enforce and stop infringement. This is not legal advice as... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for North Dakota on
Q: Hello, I have a few questions concerning a good friend of mine. A while back he out of the blue got a phone call from

His bank, informing him that they had a check in his name and wanted to know if he would like to deposit it into his account. Being really struggling with money in the first place, of course he said yes. And He then went and spent some of the money which the bank deposited into his account, a... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Nov 19, 2020

No. You need to go find some money today and repay the bank before things get really ugly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.