Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Communications Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law, Construction Law, Education Law and Energy, Oil and Gas for New York on
Q: can you help me sue my dead grandma

they dead

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jan 6, 2022

If this involves something with an estate or will, you might have better chances of a reply in the Probate or Estate Planning categories under New York. But in either case, it would be difficult for attorneys here to reach out to you to help with a lawsuit - this forum does not work like an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Communications Law for New Jersey on
Q: Is background music copyrighted if Video live feeding a parade to a YouTube channel?

I plan on Live feeding the Mummers Day Parade in Pennsylvania to my Youtube channel. The marching bands play music and there is other background music in the parade. Would those music sources be considered "fair use" for News Reporting of the event?

My channel is mostly outdoor... Read more »

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer
answered on Dec 3, 2021

This is not a simple question and it may not be cost-effective to retain counsel. But you need to play it safe and make sure you have written consent to record. Fair use is a complex issue. Your channel is for profit, and unless you have the proper corporate entity for your YouTube channel, you... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Communications Law, Land Use & Zoning and Landlord - Tenant for Kentucky on
Q: I live in a apartment have rented this apartment for over a year. Today I was walking I took short cut and walked across

The neighboring apartment building the one directly beside mine. As I was doing so a couple of the people over there came out cussing me trying to fight me saying I was trespassing. I kept walking saying i was sorry I didn’t know and didn’t mean to upset anyone, while they continued to... Read more »

Leland Hulbert
Leland Hulbert
answered on Dec 2, 2021

Technically it could be considered criminal trespass in the third degree if there are clear signs that this is private property or that you are in a housing development or section 8. If you were not charged by the police you likely don’t have anything to worry about.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Communications Law and Domestic Violence for California on
Q: What form do I need for an amendment that covers communications about my children and properties please?
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
answered on Nov 20, 2021

amendment to what?


holographic or written? notarized?

is this a family law question? i only handle criminal and PI...............

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Communications Law and Probate for Oklahoma on
Q: Yes my husband's aunt died in New Mexico and her partner not married has will. Does he have the right to ask for a copy

He is the next living relative and had to send information and initials to funeral home because funeral home wouldn't let partner do it even with will stating so.

Anna L Self
Anna L Self
answered on Nov 15, 2021

In Oklahoma he would not be required to provide a copy of the will but since she died (I am assuming she lived there) in New Mexico you should post in the New Mexico group.

In Oklahoma, if your husband was an heir pursuant to the will he would be given written notice when the will was...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Collections and Communications Law for Illinois on
Q: Someone threw a big metal lock at my car and kicked my car and only had to pay a $200 fine and court cost no restitution

The avocet at the court house is new and she said she didn’t have my information only information filed was my old phone number and old last name. She sent me letters but no letter asking me to call her.The avocet wasn’t working there at the time i turned in my information and car estimate so... Read more »

Jane Kim
Jane Kim PRO label
answered on Oct 24, 2021

Your question is coming up under Illinois although it appears you live in MO. In any event, this will be true in either state, you can file a civil lawsuit to recover your damages, provided the statute of limitations has not run yet. Depending on the amount of damages, you may do so in small claims... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Agricultural Law, Business Formation, Business Law and Communications Law for Utah on
Q: Threaten me with a cop to my house

I used to asked for a ride for about a week to this lady about 56 she said yes I them needed another ride for two weeks I asked she said yes. I willingly start giving her money for gas so I won’t feel bad even though it is on the way. We started being friends and started going out after work... Read more »

Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor
answered on Oct 22, 2021


If anything, this would be a civil matter. A cop will not get involved in this capacity. If she feels her claim is strong enough, she will sue you. Until then just ignore it and or block her number if she continues to harass you.

I hope this helps.


1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Collections, Communications Law and Small Claims for Kentucky on
Q: Can a debt collector or original creditor still try to sue you if the loan was already cancelled as a part of a lawsuit?

I was contacted by a company on Monday 10/18/2021 called "Assurance Legal Proceedings" via phone stating that they are filing a claim against me in my county for attempt to defraud a loan company. They also said that they have contracted a location service to find me and serve me with... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Oct 21, 2021

Yes. You are being scammed.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Personal Injury and Communications Law for Utah on
Q: (Utah) I was terminated due to attendance at my job, and my boss contacted my cohabitates to inform them.

For background, I cohabitate(d) with my girlfriend and her parents. With my termination, this supervisor notified my girlfriend’s parents before I had the opportunity to repose & break the news myself (this is in the span of less than 24 hours.) This has resulted in my displacement from their... Read more »

Michael Lewis Eisner
Michael Lewis Eisner
answered on Sep 21, 2021

You should consult with an attorney in Utah. Each state has different laws regarding communications with others. If someone says or writes something false, the publisher can be held liable for damages caused by the defamation of character (libel or slander). Many states also allow a cause of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Civil Rights and Communications Law for Virginia on
Q: Can my father's living siblings & children successfully fight for the right to properly bury my father who has no will.

My father is born and raised in Danville, VA. He remarried to make his oldest daughter a legal citizen which wasn't completed. His baby mother has refused to allow us to have his body for our funeral & burial. They expect our entire family to drive 8 hours to visit my father, plus they are... Read more »

Benjamin Inman
Benjamin Inman
answered on Sep 21, 2021

Im sorry that you lost your father. Losing a parent at any age can be extremely difficult.

I dont think there is enough information in your question to give you an answer. My best guess from reading between the lines here is that your father died outside of Virginia in a state where he was...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Communications Law for Arkansas on
Q: what do you need to become a lawyer?

what is all the steps to becoming a lawyer

W. Whitfield Hyman
W. Whitfield Hyman
answered on Sep 21, 2021

1. Graduate High School or earn a GED.

2. Earn a bachelor’s degree in anything from a college. Takes about 4 years.

3. Take the LSAT while in college (maybe they allow other tests now I’m not sure).

4. Complete law school (3 years).

5. Pass the bar exam in the...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Law and Communications Law for California on
Q: Boss instructed me to email his client.

If I state in the email, “I am sending on behalf of my boss” and cc my boss, am I personally endorsing the contents and attachments? Even if I was instructed to send.

Niran Grimberg
Niran Grimberg
answered on Sep 15, 2021

California's Labor Code section 1102.5 states that if you complain/inform your employer of something you reasonably to be unlawful (in this case asking you to endorse contents and attachments), it is unlawful for your employer to retaliate against you. If you believe what your boss is asking... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Communications Law for Texas on
Q: How do I get a case dismissed that I was indicted for in 1998 after finding out the indictment was wrong?

In 1998 I was sentenced to 5yrs probation for failure to register, after pulling the record and the true bill of indictment

I realized that the reportable conviction they used to get the indictment I was never convicted of nor was I ever charged with this crime. After all the years that... Read more »

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
answered on Aug 14, 2021

If anyone can fix the conviction, it will be an expert in criminal appeals, and that will be expensive. However, if you were granted a pardon by the Governor of Texas, then you could file for an expunction of the records. That might be just as good of a result, depending on your goals.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Communications Law and Constitutional Law for Michigan on
Q: Is it always a federal crime to threaten someone online or through phone, even if the person or thing being threatened

is in the same state as the threatener? Is this because Congress has the power to regulate interstate commerce and make laws pertaining to the foregoing power and phones and the internet are considered to be interstate commerce?

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
answered on Aug 10, 2021

Bingo! phone lines and internet connections are matters of interstate commerce. But it is not always charged as a federal crime; more often than not, it would be a state-level charge.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Communications Law for California on
Q: Framed. What is the CA. evidence code to admit an email as evidence to prosecute. Email is NOT from me,

Someone is framing me and police believe the falsified email was from me. Service provider supplied letter clearing me but in another police waiting til it was too late to obtain exonerating proof from the service provider to show I didn’t draft nor send it. Any information would be appreciated.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
answered on Jul 26, 2021

i think you need to send an anti spoliation letter to the company saying not to destroy your writing and email.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Communications Law for Washington on
Q: Why did I receive a “Notice of Interception Of Oral Communications Inventory” from the prosecuting attorneys office ?

It looked like a court order signed by a judge and was sent to me certified from the prosecuting attorneys office. It listed a 5 day period this last November for when it was approved by the judge for intercepting my oral communications. I am so confused as to why I would receive this out of the... Read more »

Cristine Beckwith
Cristine Beckwith
answered on Jul 21, 2021

If you have not done anything wrong, it is possible that you have unknowingly communicated with a person who is being investigated for a very serious crime.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant, Contracts, Civil Rights and Communications Law for Michigan on
Q: My landlord came to mobile home the other day, to set up a rent payment plan.(As the owner does not want to be a part

Of the Gov.Cera plan, or MSHDA. He proceeded to tell me how he doesn't think I have a disability, I should go back to work

He's in pain everyday and he works, He doesn't feel as tho anyone should be on disability.Any insight, Because I'm really

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
answered on Jun 26, 2021

Are you already renting under MSHDA or some other program? Your landlord does not get to decide if you are disabled or whether you qualify under any program.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Communications Law for Michigan on
Q: A girl I hooked up with may be pregnant, she won’t involve me or tell me if she is pregnant. What can I do?

I am a 23 year old EMT and she is a 39 year old ER nurse. Despite my effort she will not confirm with me if she is pregnant. She only tells me that she is “handling it”.

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
answered on Jun 24, 2021

Why do you think she is pregnant? And if she is, why do you think it's by you? There is a process to establish paternity before birth, but you'd need a whole lot more than a feeling she is pregnant. And she would otherwise be able to "handle it" as she sees fit anyway.

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Communications Law for Connecticut on
Q: Why is my application abandoned?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jun 21, 2021

A Connecticut attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for five weeks. You could repost with some additional details - no personal information is necessary, but including something about the type of application and reason for abandonment/denial, etc. could make for better chances... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.