Identity Theft Questions & Answers by State

Identity Theft Questions & Answers

Q: student loan

1 Answer | Asked in Collections, Education Law and Identity Theft for New York on
Answered on Jan 30, 2019
Michael David Siegel's answer
Deny everything in writing. Call the US Department of Education to report the fraud as well.


1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Massachusetts on
Answered on Jan 24, 2019
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.'s answer
Nobody can predict what the police will do. If she stole your property, you can report this theft to the police. You would be wise to consider reporting this to your bank to protect your assets. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website,...

Q: How do I find if someone has filed guardianship, POA, or anything else pertaining to me in court

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Identity Theft for Arizona on
Answered on Jan 21, 2019
Rich J. Peters' answer
You can check here:

Or maybe here:

If there is more I can do to assist, please let me know.

Q: What charges can a person face for unauthorized use of a debit card and unauthorized access to an email account?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Virginia on
Answered on Jan 12, 2019
Daniel P Leavitt's answer
The credit/debit card theft is a crime as is credit card fraud. Debit cards are considered credit card. So you have any number of crimes it would be. I am not familiar with the email access but I am positive that that's a crime as well if there was no permission. Credit card theft (not use, just being in possession of a stolen card they know is stolen) is punished like grand larceny.

Q: Can I sue a person, posing as a company, asking me to pay with bitcoin or walmart gift cards?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for California on
Answered on Dec 23, 2018
Dale S. Gribow's answer
need more info

anyone can sue anyone for anything at any time.

the more important question is can you afford to hire a lawyer on an hourly and pay costs?.............and then were you damaged or was it prospective only?

Q: Can I sue the company whose data was breached and caused my identity theft?

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft for New York on
Answered on Nov 30, 2018
Michael David Siegel's answer
There are usually class actions for this if you are referring to one of the cases in the news.

Q: A woman took money from my daughter saying it was for rent for 1year what can we do

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes, Identity Theft, Landlord - Tenant and Social Security for Oregon on
Answered on Nov 9, 2018
Gregory L Abbott's answer
Assuming you can prove it, and it occurred in Oregon, your daughter simply needs to review everything in detail with a landlord-tenant attorney who practices in the same geographic area as the rental. Good luck.

Q: Need to know about my probation status,Need to file identity theft Because of incarceration, time served, grounds I hv

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Mississippi on
Answered on Nov 8, 2018
Arthur Calderon's answer
There's not a whole lot that an attorney can go off of to answer your questions. You may want to consider reaching out to an attorney privately.

Q: Have several questions reguarding my identity Apparently identity theft Time served on false pretense charges

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Mississippi on
Answered on Nov 8, 2018
Arthur Calderon's answer
You may want to consider reaching to an attorney on here if you have questions concerning any pending charges. Most attorneys, myself included, are happy to provide a brief consultation.

Q: Im being charged with pc530.5(c)(3) i had nothing on me no ids credit cards names nothing

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for California on
Answered on Oct 31, 2018
Dale S. Gribow's answer
much more info needed.

ID theft can be a felony or a misdemeanor and is known as a Wobbler ...often depending on the record and facts or the underlying case.

Q: i got caught using someone elses debit card

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Identity Theft and Immigration Law for California on
Answered on Oct 24, 2018
Dale S. Gribow's answer

Q: What is the limitation of the above law in Georgia Identity Fraud 16-9-121(a)(1)?

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft for Florida on
Answered on Oct 23, 2018
Terrence H Thorgaard's answer
You would need to ask your question in Justia › Ask a Lawyer › Georgia › Identity Theft ›.

Q: What is the best way to go about check fraud?

3 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Identity Theft and Small Claims for New York on
Answered on Oct 16, 2018
Aubrey Claudius Galloway's answer
Our firm routinely handles these small claims cases for a flat rate of $725.

I’m NY, small claims court has subject matter jurisdiction over amounts in dispute between $0 and $5000; civil court between $5000 and $25,000, and supreme court in New York entertains cases where the amounts sort by plaintiff and our defendant and counterclaims exceeds $25,000.

For a debt of around $3000 search is this one I would recommend hiring an attorney and bringing in action in small...

Q: What can happen to a wife if she purchased house items with her husbands credit info without asking

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Identity Theft for New Jersey on
Answered on Oct 11, 2018
William N. Sosis' answer
I think your question is more suitable for posting in the Family Law section. Regardless, I think what can happen mostly depends on how much you spent, whether you used a joint credit card, the trust and quality of your marriage, and how your husband feels about it when he finds out. You might otherwise want to contact an attorney for a no-cost consultation.

Q: Can I sue my wife for id theft?

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Civil Rights and Identity Theft for Ohio on
Answered on Oct 8, 2018
Joseph Jaap's answer
Talk to the police and file a report. The prosecutor would determine whether to bring criminal charges. If you file for divorce, the court can order her to stop using your identity and to be responsible to pay back all the debt she incurred in your name. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local divorce attorney.

Q: My son bought a purebred English lab Jun16,2018 she was 8wks old. Very smart. Got along with my American Staffordshire.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Identity Theft for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Oct 3, 2018
Kathryn Hilbush's answer
I suggest that you go to your local district court and file a civil complaint, seeking return of your dog.

Q: Voluntary discontinuance. form Foster and Garbus in case however its don't say with prejudice was my dads debt.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Identity Theft for New York on
Answered on Oct 1, 2018
Michael David Siegel's answer
It does not matter now. The statute of limitations would be expired. Plus, you are not liable for dad's debts.

Q: What action can I take, if I just found out my husband file for divorce as me without my knowledge meant.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Family Law and Identity Theft for California on
Answered on Sep 29, 2018
Donald Arthur Hilland's answer
So I'm not clear if you are saying that he filed the divorce without knowledge and got a judgment already or just filed the divorce. When a divorce is filed, the papers must be personally served by an independent person, a non party to the divorce, and cannot be served by mail or Fed Ex, etc. So if he filed the divorce and you were not served, you need to file a motion right away to let the court know you were not served. Go to the courthouse, or look online at some courts, and see what the...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.