White Collar Crime Q&A by State

Your current state is Virginia

Show More States »

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
White Collar Crime Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and White Collar Crime for California on
Q: I am my fiance's only caregiver, can they take me to jail?

I got in trouble last year and been fighting it ever since, the only offer I have been given is 290 days the problem is, my fiance is mentally ill and needs me to care for her. I am all she has and I am very worried what will happen to her if I go to jail. She has no family or anything. Is there... Read more »

Rhonda Mae Hixon
Rhonda Mae Hixon answered on Jun 22, 2020

Most county jails have alternative custody programs that offer work program or home electronic confinement as an alternative to incarceration, with exception for certain offenses. Check with your lawyer, or your county jail (website) for specifics about their program. You may not need an agreement... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Employment Law and White Collar Crime for Colorado on
Q: What should be my steps to address a manager (family member) who there is evidence of embezzling, money laundering, the

The illegal activities have been going on for four+ years. Additional problems include missing records and failure to return key business information such as passwords and financial information. IRS, state/local sales tax and lodging taxes have gone unpaid. What are steps (and with whom) regarding... Read more »

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Jun 17, 2020

If you want to get your money back, I recommend that you contact a local attorney to review your facts and damages. Then you can have a detailed discussion about your rights, remedies, risks, strengths and weaknesses of your case, the law, timeline, etc.

1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law, Libel & Slander and White Collar Crime for California on
Q: Can a web developer knowingly/unknowingly put redirects to spam sites on a client's website without client consent?

I hired a web developer for my company's website. For the past 2 years he was the only one with access to the editing tools and the domain, until recently where we discovered accessing the site through a mobile device would redirect you to spam sites, sometimes pornographic, and we asked him... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Jun 13, 2020

It isn't clear from your question or the sites you posted this question to, exactly what it is that you want. First, you need a new developer to clean your site and correct these problems, close all backdoors and shut out the old developer. Is this criminal? Probably not, but I am not a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in White Collar Crime for New York on
Q: Is it worth it for my ex-friend to sue me?

Last year my friend lent me $150, I didn’t have any money due to losing my job and moving cross country back home but I promised I’d pay her back. A few months later my friend stopped taking to me and never told me what happened. We didn’t speak, I had been planning on paying her back and... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 7, 2020

Only your friend could answer whether it is worth their time to sue for the money. It's a personal decision. As a general matter, when it comes to lawsuits, people will consider the amount they plan to go after, the filing fees and court costs, the time lost from work or school. But in the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Insurance Defense and White Collar Crime for Maryland on
Q: If I have been falsely accused of forging personal checks by a life insurance company what can I do to prove my innocene

If I was made the beneficiary of an anuity and the life insurance company the anuity was through says that their "signature expert" says that checks that were signed by the anuity holder and issued to me as reimbursement dont match alleging that they may have been forged what can I do to... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Jun 2, 2020

It is unclear whether you have actually been charged with a crime, or whether the insurance company holding the annuity account is simply dishonoring the checks written by the owner of the account. Ideally, the account owner can clear this up by confirming the signatures on the checks is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and White Collar Crime for Florida on
Q: What is the difference legally between something like Monopoly money and counterfeit money? Just curious.
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on May 27, 2020

Monopoly money is not printed with the intent that it will be mistaken for real money. So it is not given in tender for payment of (real) debt.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and White Collar Crime for Texas on
Q: I asked my husband how he has me in debt and no hes divorcing me. What do i do?
Chad Zubi
Chad Zubi answered on May 21, 2020

If he hasn't actually filed yet then you can file a petition for divorce first. If you don't file first then your husband must have you personally served with the paperwork initiating the divorce lawsuit. He may ask you to sign a waiver of service, and it is wise not to do that. Once... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and White Collar Crime for Pennsylvania on
Q: Is signature forgery always a crime no matter the circumstances surrounding it?

If a signature on a document is forged where there will be no financial gain, is that less serious than forging, say, a check? If a signature is forged on a birthday card, for example, without the person’s knowledge or permission, would this be punishable in court? It is, I would say, a little... Read more »

Charles E. Dutko Jr.
Charles E. Dutko Jr. answered on May 11, 2020

The short answer is "Yes," it is a crime. The key to Pennsylvania's forgery statute is that there must be an "intent to defraud or injure." Whether a crime is committed is not determined by the outcome, i.e. a financial gain by the actor, but by whether the actor's... Read more »

View More Answers

Q: My small town with a population less than 10K is on track to pay the city attorney 500K annually. Is this normal?
George W. Wolff Esq.
George W. Wolff Esq. answered on May 8, 2020

It does seem excessive.

Did they handle any litigation for the City?

Maybe they should put it out for bid?

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and White Collar Crime for Georgia on
Q: How do I ask for a plea bargain?

I was charged with trafficking access devices and having equipment to make access devices. I have no prior criminal background. This case has 20 points federally before my plea of guiltily.

Priscilla T. Upshaw
Priscilla T. Upshaw answered on Apr 17, 2020

The District Attorney and Defense Attorney are the ones who negotiate plea bargains. It is best to have your attorney broker any plea agreements.

We are glad to assist you. Contact us whenever you are ready.

I wish you well.

-The Upshaw Law Firm, (770) 240-0922.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Immigration Law and White Collar Crime for Texas on
Q: I was charged with harboring and bringing in aliens. Can I plead to lower charges in the feds and save my CDL?

Do Federal prosecutors offer plea deals like the state?

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Apr 8, 2020

The federal sentencing guidelines don't leave a lot of wiggle room for negotiating the length of the sentence so offering to change the charge is a useful negotiating tool for federal prosecutors.

You need to talk to YOUR attorney about whether or not the prosecutors are likely to...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and White Collar Crime for Florida on
Q: Can I get some advice please on what or how will it be the easiest but fastest way to get a friend out of jail?

Hi, I'm Zach. I’m writing in an attempt to help a close friend get released ASAP from jail due to the impending threat of the COVID-19 pandemic. I understand that many nonviolent offenders are being released. He has a serious medical condition, Hepatitis-C which has not been treated since... Read more »

Henry George Ferro
Henry George Ferro answered on Apr 2, 2020

Hire a lawyer and have him file a motion to release him/her on bond pending the resolution of the charges...

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence, Identity Theft and White Collar Crime for Florida on
Q: Can I file a restraining order on line if it's urgent

I have been stalked harassed and threatened face to face cyber etc has guns 6 yrs

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Mar 22, 2020


1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, White Collar Crime and Civil Rights for California on
Q: Who can i go to to report a crime when that criminal is the same authorities of the city

This is a big civil case there’s big corruption in this city, they ignore my demands even if i show the legislature that proves them wrong, i need an attorney who is willing to go against a P.D. And fire department to the extent that i know they have crushed my rights

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Mar 9, 2020

more info needed.

not my area of law.

however, i would be careful about posting on an open forum.

i assume you are not in a position to hire a lawyer on an hourly and need a lawyer on a contingency.....that is not my firm.

1 Answer | Asked in White Collar Crime for Tennessee on
Q: Are there any jurisdiction laws in cocke co TN. If so what?
Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills answered on Mar 5, 2020

Need more info to answer the question. What kind of case? There are jurisdiction laws in every county. Depending on the type of case, there's subject matter jurisdiction, personal jurisdiction, and venue. Facts are important.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and White Collar Crime for Arizona on
Q: can a lawyer not offer a diversion program if the person qualifies for one being it's first offence and felony changes

I was convicted of theft and tariffing I was given 2 case 6 felonies,18 month probation, and 900.00 fine. At the time I should have been offered a PRETIAL FELONY DIVERSION PROGROM. I qualify for the requirements. My question is do I have a chance at another hearing, what step do I take to get this... Read more »

Stewart Salwin
Stewart Salwin answered on Mar 3, 2020

It is ultimately up to the prosecuting agency to determine what type of plea offer to grant to a defendant. This is a matter of policy by the prosecutor's office. Arizona courts have long held that "[c]riminal defendants have no constitutional right to a plea agreement and the State is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in White Collar Crime, Contracts and Civil Litigation for Virginia on
Q: How do I write a Grounds for Defense without a Bill of Particulars? Or do I use the old one?

My then wife and I signed a lease agreement with a vacation time share company in '95, ended 2012. They sent all correspondence to my ex in another state and got a judgment against both of us in 2017.

I learned of the garnishment 2019 and filed a motion to set aside, proved I was... Read more »

F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof answered on Mar 2, 2020

When the Judge granted your Motion to Set Aside the default judgment, the Judge generally would order a new Bill of Particulars to be filed by the Plaintiff by a date certain and then the Defendant (You) to file a Grounds of Defense by a date certain to the allegations asserted in the Bill of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Identity Theft and White Collar Crime for Michigan on
Q: Looking for pro bono lawyer for friend that is already incarcerated. He has court appointed but he has not done a thing.

A cpl charges include possession of methamphetamine, stolen car, counterfeit money, I'm unsure of exact atm but can obtain the info

How can I help get him a lawyer that will actually help him?? He does have court date set for March 5th but I really think hes getting screwed by this... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Feb 24, 2020

The best thing you can do to support your friend, short of hiring an attorney, is to manage his expectations. I get it that your friend doesn't think his court appointed attorney is doing anything, but depending on the facts of the case, he may be facing a situation where he either accepts the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and White Collar Crime for Georgia on
Q: Being charged with forgery and theft by taken but I did not commit these crimes warrant has been out for over a year

There’s some name as witness but I’ve never heard of this man before in my life needless to say I’m clueless of the charges against me I’ve been an electrician for 17 years fully employed I have no criminal history outside of traffic violations

Priscilla T. Upshaw
Priscilla T. Upshaw answered on Feb 17, 2020

It is best to contact an attorney as soon as possible. You want to address these charges.

We are glad to assist you. Contact us whenever you are ready.

I wish you well.

-The Upshaw Law Firm, (770) 240-0922.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, White Collar Crime and Medical Malpractice for Virginia on
Q: Does a conviction of "obtained drug by fraud" fall under the category of a Drug Crime or is it a White Collar Crime?

Or is it both? Also, after reading relevant Virginia Code, it's my understanding that in the State of Virginia it is only possible to be granted an expungement if found not guilty or charges are dismissed by the prosecution. Is that correct?

Susan Fremit
Susan Fremit answered on Feb 13, 2020

Yes, you are correct: only charges which have been nolle prosequi'd (withdrawn) or dismissed (and not via offender offender program) is a charge eligible for expungement. Even those charges which are eligible are not automatically expunged.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.