Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Wisconsin Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Wisconsin on
Q: My husband has passed away, and both our names are on the mortgage. What do I have to do next?
Thomas B. Burton
Thomas B. Burton answered on Dec 4, 2019

You should speak with an attorney who can examine the deed and help you file a form with the Register of Deeds that will remove your husband's name from the title, if the title was held as joint tenants with rights of survivorship, or as husband and wife as survivorship marital property. If you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Contracts, Consumer Law and Real Estate Law for Wisconsin on
Q: Home purchase: Can another person/name be added to title at closing?

Buying house, he is on the loan and I am not. The bank just said I cannot be put on the title because we are not married? Is this law or policy? Thank you!

Thomas B. Burton
Thomas B. Burton answered on Dec 4, 2019

If two parties are not legally married, I do not recommend jointly owning property with someone who is also not liable for the mortgage on the property. Once you are married, your husband can add you to the title, if he wishes via deed. In Wisconsin we have a special form of ownership where married... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Wisconsin on
Q: The landowner beside of us is having their pines timbered and the workers cut about half an acre of our pines and has

The company timbering the line trees has cut about half an acre of our pine trees (roughly 150 pines) even though the trees and boundaries were clearly marked. After speaking with the owner and setting up a day to discuss this, he knowingly sent his workers back on our property to collect all the... Read more »

Thomas B. Burton
Thomas B. Burton answered on Dec 1, 2019

Hello, I am sorry to hear this happened to you. You posted in the Real Estate Law forum for Wisconsin. It is possible that you live in Wisconsin, however if this property damage occurred in Carrol County, Virginia, you are going to need to find a lawyer licensed in Virginia to help you. I suggest... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Foreclosure, Real Estate Law, Tax Law and Municipal Law for Wisconsin on
Q: What would total be on property tax bill w/interest for 8 yrs. on 11hundred a yr not paid (1% mo 12% yr) Vernon Cty, WI

If I hadn't been able to pay my property taxes for 8 yrs (and assuming they haven't foreclosed), at $1,100 a yr, what would the total bill be at the end of 8 years, with interest at 1% a month and 12% a year, in Vernon County WI.?

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Nov 24, 2019

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Wisconsin on
Q: Can a landlord charger you a months rentfor your duplex not being move in ready with it just being normal wear and tear?

I took pictures and video on the last day and nothing was damaged just normal wear and tear. I had to pay double security deposit. My landlord was showing my unit before I even moved out and now the landlord is saying the unit smelled of dogs and the carpet was dirty and was not move in ready so... Read more »

Jason Anthony Greller
Jason Anthony Greller answered on Nov 24, 2019

Wis. Admin Code § ATCP 134.06(3)(c) states that a landlord cannot withhold from a tenant's security deposit for normal "wear & tear." Unfortunately, "wear and tear" has never been defined. I note the deduction of $950 for not being "move in ready." That particular deduction may, depending on its... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Probate for Wisconsin on
Q: If i am on probation and have a stayed sentence of 6 years. I pick up 3 new charges and my probation officer lifts hold

Am i still able to be revocated upon sentencing for new charges?

Matthew R Meyer
Matthew R Meyer answered on Nov 20, 2019

If you're on probation and you're accused of violating your rules of probation, you can be revoked. Generally probation officers will force you to sit in jail on a probation hold while investigating the allegations against you. If that hold is released, that's certainly a good sign, but it's not... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Wisconsin on
Q: At 17 I got a class F felony & was charged as an adult in Wisconsin. Now at 32 can I buy a semi automatic pellet rifle?

When I considered buyingt they brought out paperwork that asked all your information & if you're a felon. I know you don't need any paperwork for a pellet handgun

Benjamin T Van Severen
Benjamin T Van Severen answered on Nov 20, 2019

As a felon, you are prohibited from possessing a firearm. "Firearm" means a weapon that acts by force of gunpowder to fire a projectile, regardless of whether it is inoperable due to disassembly. See, State v. Rardon, 185 Wis. 2d 701 (Ct. App. 1994). Therefore, as long as the pellet gun does not... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Wisconsin on
Q: My Brother and I inherited my parent's cottage in Northern Wisconsin via an irrevocable trust.

Is it really necessary to hire a real estate attorney to title the property in our name or can we just contact the clerk and have it done on our own? The title is clean and the property has been in the family for 43 years.

Sarah Lynn Ruffi
Sarah Lynn Ruffi answered on Nov 20, 2019

The trust will determine what happens once your parents passed. You should contact an attorney to help you liquidate the trust, if that is what the document requires.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Wisconsin on
Q: Adult child dies after being raised by father and stepmother. Does the mother still have right to 50% of his estate?

Adult child was 59 years old and had seen his estranged mother 1 time since before he was a teenager. His father and stepmother raised him and he lived with them until he passed. He died and named his estate as the beneficiary of his 401k. He had a named beneficiary for life insurances and... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Nov 20, 2019

If he had no surviving spouse or children, yes, that is quite likely. THAT is why it is important for everyone to have an estate plan. Reason #1 (out of at least a dozen reasons), is to make sure your stuff goes to who you want.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Wisconsin on
Q: If my father said in his will I am to be paid first payment of a trust before 12/31/19 of the year of his death?

Is the above upheld regardless of when probate ends?

Thomas B. Burton
Thomas B. Burton answered on Nov 18, 2019

If the trust was created by the Will, such as a testamentary trust created inside his Will, then the trust may not come into effect until the probate has finished. It depends on the wording of the Will. If the Trust was created on its own, outside the Will, then the Trust should not have to go... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy for Wisconsin on
Q: : Rita EVANS I want to ask b4 i go see this lawyer to reopen my case I want to court and they give me a court date

: Rita EVANS I want to ask b4 i go see this lawyer to reopen my case I want to court and they give me a court date to come back and when I look at it today this what it said adjourned for Eviction Proceedings Court but I go back to court November 27,2019 I wan to no will this stop this case until I... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Nov 16, 2019

Depending on where you are, you’ll have at least a week and probably several weeks to find your new space.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Wisconsin on
Q: I have court ordered placement 3 hours a week. Can my ex deny my requests for more placement?

I have placement 3 hours a week it was a final judgement order. There’s no parenting plan. I want my child on weekends as well. Can my ex deny my extra visitations?

David N. Iancu
David N. Iancu answered on Nov 16, 2019

If your court order does not allow for additional times of placement then your ex can deny you. Depending on when your final judgment was issued, your best bet would be to file a motion to modify placement and seek additional expanded placement with your child(ren).

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law for Wisconsin on
Q: Can power of attorney list themselves as beneficiary on life insurance policy? Is the law different depending on state?

The life insurance policy currently has no beneficiaries listed

Thomas B. Burton
Thomas B. Burton answered on Nov 12, 2019

If the power of attorney document authorizes the Agent to make changes to beneficiary designations, and if it does not prohibit the Agent from listing themselves as a beneficiary, then it is likely they can list themselves as a beneficiary on a life insurance policy. The context is important here... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Wisconsin on
Q: Once an I-130 has been accepted, how long do I have to get in the I-864, affidavit of support?

I'm an American citizen trying to sponsor my Chinese wife. We both live in China now, and the only place I can call a "residence" within the US is my Mom's apartment.

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black answered on Nov 8, 2019

If you are sponsoring your wife and you both are in China, she will have to process at the consulate in China. Retain counsel anywhere in the USA to help you. Some of us charge a very affordable flat Fee.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Wisconsin on
Q: I work in a dental lab,never signed a no compete,was fired for trying to do work on the side. Any legal recourse?

I approached my employer about picking up my own accounts and doing my own crowns. All I needed from him was to mill them. Everything else would have been done out of my house and would not have burdened him in any way. I offered him reimbursement for the milling. He said he did not like the idea... Read more »

Greg Mansell
Greg Mansell answered on Nov 6, 2019

No legal recourse for you against your employer. If your employer does this work and you are competing while an employee, there may be legal recourse that your employer can take but that would depend on Wisconsin laws.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Civil Rights for Wisconsin on
Q: I’m from the uk my fiancé is an ex felon can I move t the USA

I’m from the uk and looking to marry my fiancé however as he is an ex felon he is not aloud to emigrate to the uk am I able to apply to move to the USA once were married or will it be rejected due to him being an ex felon

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Oct 31, 2019

Hos status has nothing to do with whether you can move.

By the way it is "allowed."

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Divorce, Family Law and Domestic Violence for Wisconsin on
Q: Do I need representation for DV initial court appearance, the one within the 72 hours no contact?

My wife hit me and I have a black eye, I pushed her off of me and left the house. She called PD and they issued a warrant for me. She said I punched her and that she didn't hit me at all. Now I'm being charged. Court is tomorrow 10-30-19

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Oct 29, 2019

I you feel you can represent yourself and obtain a reasonable bond, then you can take the chance.

You will eventually need one, so why not start now?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Wisconsin on
Q: Have a wage garnishment. The amount of judgmenta was 5,749.27. Have paid 11,297.98 to date.

Recieved a letter saying it has been closed and no further payments are to be made. Just received another letter that they are garnishing my wages for 3, this legal?

Nathan DeLadurantey
Nathan DeLadurantey answered on Oct 29, 2019

Gather up those letters and get them to a consumer lawyer for a free consultation. They should offer you a free consultation to review the documents and determine if you've been garnished too much money.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Small Claims for Wisconsin on
Q: Can someone be arrested for taking my mail without my permission?
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Oct 22, 2019

contact the postal inspectors

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Wisconsin on
Q: When the seller rejects an amendment, what happens?

What right does the seller still have? Recently we rejected an amendment, buyer is now threatening court, closing, or cash to end this problem. I would like to know what we can do legally.

Thomas B. Burton
Thomas B. Burton answered on Oct 22, 2019

In general, a Seller has no legal obligation to accept an amendment the Buyer may offer, after the terms of the Offer to Purchase have been agreed to. The Seller's obligation is only the terms of the original Offer to Purchase signed by both parties. The Buyer may have other legal remedies based on... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.