Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
North Carolina Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Elder Law for North Carolina on
Q: 1: I want estate ownership moved to a relative

1: I want estate ownership moved to a relative (great nephew). Estate (house and 9 acres).

2: I want to live in house and maintain yard (1 acre) as it is mine.

3: I want not to show any income increase (capital gain, other).

4: Inheritance Will with rights of ownership at... Read more »

Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
answered on Jun 27, 2022

It sounds like you need to have a consultation with a lawyer to explain what you want to do and why you are doing it. Because while everything you asked is possible it may not have the effects you intend.

0 Answers | Asked in Construction Law and Contracts for North Carolina on
Q: Would notifying a party to come get their tools constitute a termination & breach of the contract?

Entered into a contract with customer to perform multiple projects. Such projects included installing sod, french drain, a concrete slab, and a sprinkler system. Upon completion of concrete slab install the homeowner and his family wanted to place their hand prints in the concrete, and was happy... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for North Carolina on
Q: If you was given a home to stay in and they said they could never give you the land but I would never be put out

And I have put 15,000 into this home and now a year later my dad's cousin is telling me I have to end of year to be out like is there anything I can do

Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
answered on Jun 27, 2022

You can do several things; you can sue to have an injunction issued that would prevent you from being evicted. You would have to convince the judge that you were told this by one of the owners.

The second thing you can do is sue for unjust enrichment, basically saying that you have...
Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for North Carolina on
Q: Is it legal for an employer to retaliate after finding out about an employee looking for another job?

I have worked with a company for over 10 years. Recently, I have had some health issues, in which my physician said I should find a "less stressful job". At which point I started searching for a more suitable replacement. Since then, the General Manager found out, and has singled me out,... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Libel & Slander, Business Law and Small Claims for North Carolina on
Q: I was recently hired to do work at someones home. They purchased the materials I picked them up and delivered to their

home and then installed said item. They purchased the wrong size and I told them but they REFUSED to return it and get the correct size. I had to adjust the frame in order to make it fit. Once completed the customer said nothing to me about not liking the work done. I then returned to their home 2... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for North Carolina on
Q: NC registered mobile home has 2 -1st lien holders on title. 1 died. Will this add his 6 beneficiaries as additl 1st LH

My parents are one of the original 2 first lien holders . Can they release the title back to me or do my parents plus all of the deceased grandfathers beneficiaries which consist of 5 individuals & his church have to all complete the Affidavit of North Carolina Lienholder form MVR-46D in order... Read more »

Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
answered on Jun 27, 2022

Without seeing your grandparents will and getting a full timeline together of when the events took place I can't answer your question with any specificity.

However, my thoughts are that you should probably try and get everyone to sign.

0 Answers | Asked in DUI / DWI and Traffic Tickets for North Carolina on
Q: I know someone who was arrested for killing someone while driving impaired but continues to drink and drive.

Is there anything I can do legally to stop them from getting behind a wheel? Does this qualify for involuntary rehab treatment?

0 Answers | Asked in Business Law for North Carolina on
Q: Didn't receive payment for compensation

I was named in a lawsuit filed by 2 of my coworkers that I didn't receive compensation for. I reached out to the Attorney involved in the case and he told me that the case was closed 7 years ago and any money that was returned was given to charity because that's what my coworkers agreed... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for North Carolina on
Q: Voluntarily signed temporary custody of children to grandmother who now wants child support or will sue. Is it legal?

Grandmother has had them for 4 years. Child support never brought up. I buy them everything they need. I just don’t have a proper home to keep them full time. All of a sudden she said she is going to court to get child support from me. I also gave temporary custody so they could stay at a... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for North Carolina on
Q: How can I admit text messages as evidence

I just went to court and got visitation and shared legal as of June 13. The mother has now filed motion to cancel the 1 overnight a week and to get full legal and no Christmas time as well as no phone calls. I would like to admit text of her not allowing me to be present and have access to our... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for North Carolina on
Q: how can i get my name on deed on house inherited after sister passed. nc law says i dont need name on deed

sister had no will. not married and no children.

Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
answered on Jun 23, 2022

If you want your name on a deed, you will have to file one at the register of deeds. You can do this, but I advise you get a lawyer to draw up the document.

The actual legal transference happens when you probate a copy of her estate in the county where the property is located.

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for North Carolina on
Q: I am a renter in Charlotte NC. My paint is pealing I did a swab test and it revealed lead paint udnerneath. what do i do

Paint underneath top coat has been revealed and is lead based. What are my options. Does complex have to fix?

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for North Carolina on
Q: Under a court order, do I have to force my 14 year old to visit her mom if she's saying its not emotionally safe?

Under a court order and 14 year old doesn't want to go to visitation this week. She OD'ed recently and says its too much to be there. Many issues seem to be attributed to their relationship with their mom. Her 17 year old sister doesn't go and has been doing better mentally. Both... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for North Carolina on
Q: Child Protective Services (CPS) drug tested my ex. I believe he failed. How would I get the results?

CPS explained they can’t tell me the results because of privacy act. I thought that was for insurance companies and employers. What can I do to get these results?

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for North Carolina on
Q: My ex had some land in N.C.he added me to the deed in 2008. In 2011 he did a gift of deed to himself, me and his sons.

I did not sign anything or notified. Am I entitled to a fourth of the land?

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
answered on Jun 21, 2022

You will need to hire a NC lawyer to search the Title, and determine ownership. Do not hire a title company. The 2011 Deed may have created in you a larger Estate than you had in 2008. But the 2011 Deed might be a nullity also.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.